Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-17-2012, 08:49 PM   #11 
Badjer

Glad to hear that! I'm paranoid with the whole parental permission thing...dates back to 3rd grade when we had a market day where 5th graders sold products of their own making. One kid sold goldfish, and obviously everyone wanted one! I actually bought two come to think of it. Then there was the issue of bus drivers not allowing them on the bus, kids not being able to buy fish supplies, parents not allowing them, etc. I shudder when I think about how many fish must've been flushed or abandoned that day.

My own two lived forever though...even back when I had no idea how to properly care for them! Hope your parents let you get a betta, and good luck gathering your supplies! (:
Badjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 09:20 PM   #12 
kesomon

Ha, how's this for circular fail? In order to return the small tank for a large one, I need the Petco Pals card. But since we've had no pets since our cat died, mom deleted the login info. So I have a card, but I can't access the account, or the e-mail its listed under, so if I return the tank, I can't access the store credit. *facepalm*
kesomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 09:55 PM   #13 
BettaMommy531rip

Why won't your parents let you get a fish? They are realtively harmless, until you get bit big time by the betta bug. Then it becomes an obsession, which is an issue. But one betta is great to start out with, and I love the whole hoarding supplies, but Badjer is right as well.
BettaMommy531rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 10:08 PM   #14 
kesomon

Well, as far as my observations go, it comes down to the old adage, "once bitten, twice shy." We used to have a fish tank back in Denver, when I was very young, and again later when I was older but still at that stage of childhood that meant I liked having a pet, but hated taking care of it. So it was usually mom taking care of said tanks, and she hated the workload of it. So she doesn't want me to get a tank in my room, either for fear I'll mistreat it, or for fear it will make my room and the house smelly and damp, or for whatever other reasons.

Space, though, is the other issue now. Since I'd like to cycle a tank, and a 2.5 tank is difficult to cycle, it would be more beneficial and advantageous to trade it for a 5 gallon.That was a nice, tiny little detail I didn't learn until tonight that would've been useful to know earlier, before I bought anything specifically for the 2.5. But I don't have anyplace in my room that will fit a 5 gallon glass rectangle tank and allow easy access. (I would if I didn't have those shelves on the wall, but I can't move them. bah.) And I say that kind of tank specifically, because its cheapest for me; if I get a kit tank with different dimensions, then I'm paying extra for a filter thats probably too strong and won't be used.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:13 PM   #15 
kesomon

At this point I think I'm spiraling into a depressive state of rejection acceptance. "all the things I thought I was solid on are not solid at all, so my plans are being dismantled before they could even begin, oh bother." hmph.

Of course, I can't really do anything, no matter the size tank, until all the construction projects in the house are done, which means waiting for the bathroom to be remodeled, so that they can put the flooring on the stairs and hallway, and then if theres wood left, to put flooring in my room, which means moving all my stuff out of it, which means a tank would need to be dismantled and moved, which is a hassle, so better to wait until its all done, except they. Take. FOREVER to finish projects. The stairs have been stripped of carpet down to bare wood since November.

....Sorry. Had a ranty moment there.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:23 PM   #16 
BettaMommy531rip

Well what I did when I wanted a bunny was begged alllllllllllllll summer long. But then I wasn't getting anywhere so I asked for a hamster instead, and my mom was so worn down about the bunny that she agreed to the hamster practically right away. So start begging for a puppy or something until they come begging for mercy and let you buy that betta. Also I read in one of your other threads that you are almost 25. Shouldn't your parents give you a little more credit? All that other pet business happened when you were little. So why won't they let it go?
Old 01-17-2012, 10:29 PM   #17 
kesomon

Eh, I wouldn't beg for a puppy, I can't stand dogs.

Well, I might be wrong about what I think their reason for saying no is. Though on that front, I think they judge me by the fact my brothers are more successful than I am. X3 Cas has a BS and lives in Seattle working for Amazon, and Alex does acting work and commutes to LA and sleeps on friends couches, and I, with an AS in web design, am mostly unemployed except for the occassional freelance design work that doesn't pay nearly enough, live at home, and all my friends live on the other side of computer screens. By those observations, I wouldn't give me responsibility credit.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:32 PM   #18 
BettaMommy531rip

Huh. Well have you confronted them and asked them about what they want you to change, and what you can do differently that would maybe change their minds? Sometimes instead of being secretive you have to be upfront and really ask why, because then they think you are more mature for taking the intiative to talk to them about it and work out the issue.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:41 PM   #19 
kesomon

I should do that. It would be the sensible, rational thing to do and I like to think of myself as a sensible, rational person...but then the insecure voice in my head starts up and I chicken out, not wanting them wise to me. If they're wise to me, then they can disapprove and block and lecture, and I only get depressed. And they make really uncomfortably rational arguments for Why Not that I can't argue against, because most of them can only be answered as "but I can live with that." Smelly tank? humid room? messy cleaning? Expensive? "sure, maybe so, but I can live with that." yeah, but they won't live with it, and voice their opinions loudly and often.

....Bah. Okay, now I just feel like I'm whining and whinging about it.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:53 PM   #20 
BettaMommy531rip

It's OK. Just splay it our in front of them. Hit them with all you've got. Explain to them what you've learned about bettas, how easy they are to maintain, how yes it can be expensive, but that's you're problem not theirs. Plus bettas don't make your room smelly like a ferret or something. Tell them I have a betta in a tank with an open top and my room smells fine.