Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-17-2012, 11:58 PM   #21 
kesomon

Getting gainful employment wouldn't hurt either. I think tomorrow I'll go and apply at a few places, again. Petco, probably. Retail sucks, but its income, and if I get hired to the aquatics department I can learn even more about betta care.
kesomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 11:59 PM   #22 
BettaMommy531rip

Yeah. Well, go you!
BettaMommy531rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 12:29 AM   #23 
elegantlyunsophisticated

I have the minibow 2.5 actually and it cycled quite well when I seeded it with substrate. The levels have been pretty stable and I do fish-in cycling so I do plenty of water changes but everything is looking good. I have a pretty thick layer of gravel and sand mixture from a cycled tank and everything's been crystal clear and everyone's happy. I've just found it interesting that everyone says a cycle is impossible to hold with a small tank when both of mine have successfully.
elegantlyunsophisticated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 12:36 AM   #24 
kesomon

Glad you've had success with it, EU. I probably wouldn't have as much success, since this would be my first-ever tank and I don't know anyone with used filters or substrate to seed with. Unless I made real nice with the aquatics department at Petco and ask for some of theirs, but somehow I doubt they'd give me anything. X3
Old 01-18-2012, 01:02 AM   #25 
elegantlyunsophisticated

ah, I see XD I'd recommend the minibow 2.5 anyway. It comes with a divider you don't have to use ( I do cause of a money situation, I can only heat the 2.5). Your fish actually don't get warped by the bowing, which I thought they would.The filter doesn't bother my guys too much but I have some plants breaking up the outflow.

And I remember the first time I cycled a tank DX not pretty haha. Luckily I had a senegal bichir and they're bombproof but it was pretty bad. Know what you're doing and be prepared for bad smells!!
elegantlyunsophisticated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 12:33 PM   #26 
emeraldsky

My friend did the same thing, except he bought bleach as well so it did totally look like he was going to build a bomb XD

Everyone in the store kept staring at him and skittering away when he got to close to them, he ended up putting the ammonia back XD
emeraldsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 02:16 PM   #27 
kesomon

LOL emerald. Now that's what I meant to start with this board, funny stories of mishaps with supply runs. Not all the angstfest it turned into.
Old 01-18-2012, 04:42 PM   #28 
laughing

I have the 2.5! Cycled amazingly. But I did a 'silent' cycle. It's basically where you have enough plants that a natural cycle occurs. One has hornwort as a 'forest', the other had anacharis, moss, and vals. Did the same in my 10 gallon with a melon sword, wendtii, hornwort, and a java fern.

I only clean my 2.5 weekly. And because the plants do all the cycling, every 3-4 weeks I take it down and clean it. Just basically strain out the gravel, clean up the acrylic, etc.

Funny stories? I've been to the hardware store so much the manager offered me a floor job, LOL. I went to a tea shop (boyfriend's mom likes tea I guess lol) and they had Rooibos tea. I told them this tea is amazing for healing fish and reducing stress. The woman said oh well maybe. I had the thread on here memorized so I pulled it up and read it to her. She gave me to stank eye and ushered us out...
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 05:43 PM   #29 
emeraldsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by laughing View Post
I have the 2.5! Cycled amazingly. But I did a 'silent' cycle. It's basically where you have enough plants that a natural cycle occurs. One has hornwort as a 'forest', the other had anacharis, moss, and vals. Did the same in my 10 gallon with a melon sword, wendtii, hornwort, and a java fern.

I only clean my 2.5 weekly. And because the plants do all the cycling, every 3-4 weeks I take it down and clean it. Just basically strain out the gravel, clean up the acrylic, etc.

Funny stories? I've been to the hardware store so much the manager offered me a floor job, LOL. I went to a tea shop (boyfriend's mom likes tea I guess lol) and they had Rooibos tea. I told them this tea is amazing for healing fish and reducing stress. The woman said oh well maybe. I had the thread on here memorized so I pulled it up and read it to her. She gave me to stank eye and ushered us out...

buaha, im still hoping my LFS offers me a job, Im to the point where they let me adopt pets now XD

I posted the tea thing on facebook since my whole family is addicted to tea, everyone was like, you know youre supposed to just drink it right? XD
emeraldsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 06:18 PM   #30 
laughing

They did want to hire me, but you have to be 18. They're waiting for me.. it's quite humorous. My big mouth has shut employees up on bad advice then I have spent anywhere from 20 minutes to 2 hours talking to the misguided customer. It always goes like, "Why don't you work here?" I also look to be 18-19 years old so they sometimes DO think I work there.

The joys of stalking your LPS!
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote