Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-17-2012, 08:31 PM   #1 
bbulino

Question Betta Tank Mates.

Hey what are some good betta tank mates? I was thinking some kind of aquatic frog, but then i thought they might be fin nippers. So any suggestions?
bbulino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 10:40 PM   #2 
Bombalurina

What size tank are you looking at? If it's less than ten gallons, it's not a good idea, but in ten gallons and over you have a fair few options.

It is possible to keep African DWARF Frogs (stay away from African CLAWED frogs) with bettas, but there can be problems. Fin nipping is one of them, but it's due to poor eyesight rather than aggression.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 03:43 AM   #3 
Wolfboy51

Other options besides frogs. U could get a small school of neon tetras (about 5) in a 10gal+ tank or some ghost shrimp in a smaller tank.
Wolfboy51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 04:23 AM   #4 
Shirleythebetta

I have cory cat's and small agae eaters in with my sorority and they all get along good.
Shirleythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 06:39 AM   #5 
MissPokemaster

In my 20gal tank, I have:
~ 2 young (small) Angelfish
~ 5 Neon Tetras
~ 1 common Pleco
and my one Veiltail Male Betta, I've heard that this doesn't work for everyone, but if your betta is mellow enough it could work. It's lots of pretty colors, and my Betta, Gyarados, loves having tank mates.
I've only seen one of the Angels nip at my betta once, and after Gyarados swam away, it hasn't happened since. All of the fishys will try to poke their noses at the pleco, but, lol, get bored and swim away when he doesn't move or anything.

Oh, and yes I know my tank is too small for all my fish once they're full grown, but since I'm moving (and can't take them with me) before they outgrow the tank, I'm not too worried about it.
MissPokemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 04:14 PM   #6 
bbulino

Hmm kk now with algae feeders is their a certain tank size they need cause they get pretty big don't they? I'm looking to get a 20 gallon high is that good enough for a algae eater betta and maybe a school or two of other fish.
Old 01-18-2012, 04:17 PM   #7 
bbulino

algae eaters*
Old 01-18-2012, 04:55 PM   #8 
Bombalurina

It is fine for a smaller algae eater like a bristlenose pleco - make sure they don't sell you a common pleco by mistake, as they get much bigger!

If you can get a 20 long, that would be better, as bettas can struggle with taller tanks. A 20 high won't kill your plans, though. It would be fine to stock it with:
- 1 BN pleco
- 1 betta
- 6 x one kind of tetra
- 6 x another type of tetra

Alternatives for the tetras include smaller rasboras (harlequins, mosquito, micro etc), danios (that can be a risk, though), or gentle barbs, such as cherries. Alternatively, livebearers such as platies, guppies or Endlers (my favourite) would do, but only 4 platies or guppies as they have a higher bioload than little tetras.
Just make sure you stay away from nippy fish, such as serpae tetras and tiger barbs. When in doubt, google it and get experiences from hundreds of different people and experts online - don't trust the petshops, who will tell you almost anything in a lot of cases just to make a sale.

Hope this helps. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 06:14 PM   #9 
Shirleythebetta

I have two small little algae eaters. They are two inches at the max great cleaners. Mine are in my 10 gallon sorority. I like the plecos but they are kinda bruts when it comes to tank decoration. My dad has a 14 inch in a 55 gal. He can't have a lot of decoration because they knock everything over. I would recommend smaller algaes if you go that way. Mine are called otocinclus and I got them at petsmart. Picture below. They are neat. They have a black strip all around their body.
Attached Images

Last edited by Shirleythebetta; 01-18-2012 at 06:17 PM.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:15 PM   #10 
Shirleythebetta

Oh, make sure your tank is cycled and established. You have to make sure there is plenty of algae in the tank and they are sensitive to ich meds. They can only have half doses like tetras. You also need at least two they are schooling fish. In a twenty gallon maybe.... four or five?

Last edited by Shirleythebetta; 01-18-2012 at 06:18 PM.

Tags
betta tank mates