Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-17-2012, 11:48 PM   #1 
MJK87

Red Sea Nano and Azoo Palm filters.

So I noticed that the Red Sea Nano filter has been discontinued. Can anyone else verify this? I found another filter on drfostersandsmith.com that looks like the exact same filter as my Red Sea Nano. Its called the Azoo Palm Filter. Did Azoo buy them out or is it a different filter? It looks exactly the same.

I also am having trouble finding the replacement pads for the Red Sea Nano and was wondering what some people were filling their filters with. I was thinking about a little DIY and putting some activated carbon in some pantyhose along with a cut down aqua clear sponge and maybe some bio max or something else. What are you guys using?

Here is the link to the filter I found.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...21&pcatid=9821
MJK87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 01:10 AM   #2 
kesomon

Considering I looked everywhere and couldn't find the Nano in stock on any site that had it listed, I think it's a safe bet that it is forever gawn. I dunno if the Azoo is the same one though.
kesomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 12:22 PM   #3 
Dragonii

They are the same filter.

I think it's one of those cases where the two companies have them made and labeled accordingly. Not sure, there is a possibility the RedSea owns/bought AZOO and therefore feels no need to keep making two models of the same filter. Who knows. But it is the same filter.
As for media, just make your own if you can't find it. You could buy one of those big carbon coated filter pads and cut it up into small filters for it. Or just cut a strip to drop into the chamber. It would be easier than trying to use a bag and one pad would last a long time.
I just ordered one of the azoo myself and that's what I plan on doing. Just cut replacement filters out of the carbon pad and when they get dirty... toss em. I figure at 10x18, changing the pad every 3-4 weeks.... I should be good for a year at least. lol
Dragonii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 08:39 PM   #4 
Gen2387

I have a Red Sea Nano for my 3 gallon and I saw the AZOO and it's exactly the same. Maybe they bought the other company??? I'm pretty sure your safe if you go with the AZOO.

For the filter in mine I buy the Tetre whisper filter cartridge at Walmart and it fits perfectly in the filter. You just have to place it diagonally and it's perfect. Never had any trouble or complaints.

Last edited by Gen2387; 01-18-2012 at 08:41 PM. Reason: Forgot to answer part of the question. :(
Gen2387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 10:09 PM   #5 
MJK87

Where can you get that carbon pad stuff?
Old 01-18-2012, 10:34 PM   #6 
Dragonii

They sell it at most aquarium shops. They tend to have them in the pond section a lot. Or you can order one online.
http://www.amazon.com/HBH-Enterprise...6947348&sr=8-1

I got my AZOO filter in today. My plan is to replace one of the sponges that came with it with strips that I cut from one of those pads. The carbon pad will act as my main mechanical filter as well as chemical and I will just replace it every 3-4 weeks when it gets dirty. The second sponge that came with the filter will be the bio. I think it will work just fine.

Non related: the tank that this filter goes to should be in next week. I can't wait. It's gonna be so cool. :)
Old 01-18-2012, 10:41 PM   #7 
MJK87

I noticed that they also make ammonia filter pads as well. I wonder if that would help out in a 2.5 gallon. That along with the carbon pad might tide me over for 50% water changes only once a week.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:16 PM   #8 
Dragonii

You may not need them. If you have a filter on the tank doing a 50% water change once a week should be just fine.
If you have a good bacterial growth in your filter ammonia shouldn't be a problem.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:42 AM   #9 
MJK87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonii View Post
You may not need them. If you have a filter on the tank doing a 50% water change once a week should be just fine.
If you have a good bacterial growth in your filter ammonia shouldn't be a problem.
Its a 2.5 gallon tank. Everyone says that they cant be cycled. Is there a way that you can cycle it?
Old 01-26-2012, 11:12 PM   #10 
dramaqueen
Banned

A 2.5 CAN be cycled but from what I've been told, a smaller tank has trouble keeping a cycle stable due to the smaller surface area needed for the beneficial bacteria to grow.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote