Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-18-2012, 05:07 AM   #1 
Shirleythebetta

Any advice?

Hey I have a male VT I have had about 4 to 6 months. He was a Wal-Mart rescue and had some bad fin rot. His back tail has just healed from the rot and a split as you will see in the picture but his top fin will not fully recover. It isn't rotting anymore but it's ragged looking. I have treated it wil Melifix and Aqaurium Salt and of course very clean water. My camera stinks but I think you will be able to see what I mean okay. Theres two shots. Any advice appreciated. Oh, and he eats a variety of occasional blood worms, flakes and pellets. He eats great and is very active.
Attached Images

Shirleythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 09:59 AM   #2 
Sakura8

Sometimes when fins are recovering from very bad rot, they may not grow back in quite the same. It looks like his dorsal fin curls over a bit? If the fin doesn't appear to be rotting anymore, then this may be his new "look." It could be that the fin grew in weaker and is unable to stay upright or it could even be a reaction to the water chemistry. Check your params and if any of them are abnormally high, that could be a contributing factor. Otherwise, he looks very handsome and happy to me.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 07:03 PM   #3 
Shirleythebetta

Yea his waters good. The fins been like that for a while. It's curled around like you said. I'm okay with his new look. He is still sassy and his attitude makes him so much fun. He flares at my camera anytime it's near him! Thanks for the compliments on him. I worked hard to get him better. He was a miserable guy. That pretty round back fin he is displaying was at a point and split. His fins were clamped and he had terrible fin rot. I have a surprise for him next water change.... He has a bigger tank now!
Old 01-18-2012, 07:21 PM   #4 
Sakura8

I have a betta who had pretty ragged fins too when I bought him and they grew back in kind of curly too. As long as the fins don't seem to be disappearing overnight, like a severe rot, I think it's just the way they grew in. And since his behavior is okay, he must feel good. And he'll be even happier when he moves into his bigger tank. :)
Old 01-18-2012, 07:31 PM   #5 
Shirleythebetta

I hope he'll be happy. He is three inches long and so are his fins so he needs a bit more room than this cheap one gallon. In your experience have you ever known guppys and betta to get along? I normally only use corys and oticinclus, fish that stay out of the bettas way. But I was thinking about something more colorful.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:35 PM   #6 
Sakura8

The one time I did have a betta in with guppies, they did fine but that was in a heavily planted 10g. Also, it depends on the betta's personality. A more aggressive betta may attack a guppy because of his long fins. And sometimes guppies nip at bettas. I think if you have more than 3 guppies, the chances of the guppies picking on the betta decrease. It's best to get either 1 male to every 3 females or all males and let them have lots of space. However, I wouldn't add guppies unless the tank is 10g or more.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:39 PM   #7 
Shirleythebetta

okay thanks for all the great advice. I think my boys fins are too long for anything that can nip and I worked to hard to get him better. I'll stick with stuff that will stay out of his way. It's gonna be a while before he gets any buddys in his tank anyways. He's a bit agressive.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:50 PM   #8 
Sakura8

If he's aggressive, cories or otos are probably the best bet since they pretty much keep to themselves. He's a really handsome fellow, by the way. :)
Old 01-18-2012, 07:53 PM   #9 
Shirleythebetta

Thanks.