Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-18-2012, 07:10 PM   #11 
Jrf456

WOW.. Awesome boyfriend!
Jrf456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 07:15 PM   #12 
LittleBettas

I know he has been talking about the 100 gallon for awhile, but it wasn't until I caught him sitting in front of the sorority tank that he said he wanted to do a sorority in it I love him
LittleBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 07:31 PM   #13 
LittleBettaFish

I have this bargain 4ft 105 gallon tank on my bedroom floor that was originally intended for goldfish, but that is tempting me to either stock with all these imported fancy guppies or a sorority. I have around 20 females and I think one giant sorority tank would be awesome.

I have this 200 litre tub I'm hoping to plant out as a pond and introduce a pair of bettas out for the rest of summer and see if they spawn out there.

I think the dream would be to have a 100 gallon sorority consisting solely of homebred bettas. That would be cool.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 07:34 PM   #14 
LittleBettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
I think the dream would be to have a 100 gallon sorority consisting solely of homebred bettas. That would be cool.

Thats my plan I'll start breeding my first pair in about a month and Im SO excited, last few supplies have just been ordered and once they get here I will condition the pair (undecided currently, I have a buyer who Im going to let chose since she is setting up a 150 gallon sorority <---- my DREAM)
Old 01-18-2012, 07:43 PM   #15 
LittleBettaFish

Haha good luck. I have to admit I find the idea of having so many fry daunting. I only just got the hang of vinegar eels and microworms. Hatching BBS terrifies me.

That is why I wanted to go the outside 'survival-of-the-fittest' route. The only summer I'm ready to do it and the night temperature dips down to 15 degrees Celsius
Old 01-18-2012, 07:46 PM   #16 
LittleBettas

From what I have seen the BBS don't seem to hard...

This is the tutorial I found and I plan on using:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8sNx9zTOnQ

I think OFL breeds outside.... not sure if she feeds them or lets the mosquitos and live plants do the job (that would be awesome though)
Old 01-18-2012, 07:57 PM   #17 
LittleBettaFish

My BBS hatcheries always end up leaking because I invariably forget to silicone the end around the airline tubing.

I was going to seed the bottom of the pond with lots of blackworms to eat detritus and any dead fish, as well as provide food for the bigger ones. I will also put some food like microworms and BBS in to supplement their diets.

Hopefully your breeding endeavors work out. It's always nice knowing that you raised a fish from fry to adulthood.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:01 PM   #18 
LittleBettas

Lol, its always the smallest thing that is forgotten isnt it?

Thank you I have my fingers crossed, I love the idea of watching them go from little white... fry.... into magnificant bettas with amazing coloring I have been thinking about this for a while... lol
Old 01-19-2012, 06:46 PM   #19 
Jrf456

If you do that and they're all apart of the same fry you MIGHT be able to get away with keeping the males together as long as you N E V E R take them out away from each other :) My old teacher had a 15g with 5 males that never even had tattered fins, they were all in the same fry and lived together for life, but he originally had 7 & took 2 out to treat them (somehow they got ich before it got to the rest of the tank) & when he put them back in, the rest of the males attacked them like crazy. So NEVER seperate them if you do do that, and either way I would do some serioussssssssss research before you do. I'll try to get pics the next time I see him! :)
Jrf456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 07:04 PM   #20 
LittleBettas

Please do!
I've heard of a few others doing that with spawn brothers.... but some males DO get to aggressive