Betta Fish Forum banner

I'm adding two more!!!!

1K views 20 replies 6 participants last post by  blueridge 
#1 ·
I just bought two girls from Chard off of Aqua bid! I'll be sending him payment Friday and hopefully they will be on their way soon!

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/closed.cgi?view_closed_item&fwbettashm1326958978 this girl I'd like to breed with Glaedr!

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/closed.cgi?view_closed_item&fwbettasct1327264804 and this little lady with Shruikan!

I'm so excited! OMG! I'm going to have to get another tank this weekend and get it all set up and ready! WHOOT!

I'm not sure yet if I want to do another ten or if I might just get a 5 gal for the two girls for now and then eventually have the two dragon boys in the divided 5 to share and have the sorority in the ten... yeah that sounds good to me!

#2 ·
Haha congrats on getting your females!

#3 ·
Thank you! I'm jumping for joy even thinking about it!

#4 ·
So my girls were sent out today and I should have them some time tomorrow!!! I have the day off so hopefully they arrive earlier on with no issues! I will be putting my sorority together tomorrow and I can't wait. I have two other CT females already to go in with these two. So I'll do a nice water change on that tank tonight and get it all ready and move the males into the divided temporary tank until the 2.5's I ordered come in and then they'll each have their own digs. So excited. The temporary tank is also my breeding tank and I will be finishing getting that one ready soon. I can't wait until everyone is nice and settled in and conditioned so I can start my first spawn. So stoked!

#7 ·
Thanks guys! It's 9am and I'm sitting here waiting as patiently as I can for these fish to be delivered... lol I am going to change the water in the tank they'll be going into in just a little while. Our mail person usually comes around 11 or so... so I think I have a little time. YAY! I can't wait to get them settled so I can take pictures!

#8 ·
Warning... Incoming rant....

I HATE OUR EXPRESS DELIVERY PERSON!!!!! They didn't read the clearly printed (bright orange) note on the front porch yesterday and didn't actually go to the proper door (we live in a 3 floor apartment house) and I never heard a knock or a doorbell yesterday and they left me a failed delivery slip.... I had to drive to the post office this morning to go get them. I was enraged. I asked the person at the counter if there was someone I could complain to and she gave me a number to call.... I called it on the way home. Luckily the fish are just fine and are floating in their new tank now. I would have been pretty darn upset with my mail people had there been anything wrong with the fish... So yeah I was peeved. Now I'm back home to relax all day with my fishies and keep an eye on the ladies (they will be going into my newly set up 10 gallon with my other two females [who have been waiting in cups, poor things] and making my sorority) So hopefully all settle in well and I can rest easy as I've been on pins and needles since I woke up yesterday. Phew... end rant! LOL I'm going to maybe try to get some pictures later on tonight if they seem to be settling okay, as I don't want to stress them any more.

#9 ·
Hmmm... I think we have a problem. So I released all four "females" into the ten gallon sorority I have set up and I immediately noticed that the wild type "female" CT that I got from petco a couple weeks ago was being ridiculously aggressive to the CT female I got a work the other day.... So after a few minutes of watching I witnessed the wild type take a huge chunk out of the other female's fin and I took the wild type out.... I put the fish in a cup and just floated the cup... to see it flare.... I noticed it's ventral fins are way longer than all the other females, then I saw a HUGE gill beard... like huge... I think I have myself a male PK CT? The fish was so excited and aggressive I was shocked. I know that females can be as aggressive as males but this was strange. The fish has an ovipositor but I know that males can have these too... so I'm going to try to take a pic but I wanted to know if anyone else had a pic of a female flaring so I can compare... I am so frustrated cause I thought I had sexing them down pat, but I guess not.... ugh

#10 ·
#11 ·
See now that throws me off a bit.... Ugh why can't I freaking tell the difference. When her cup is floating in the sorority she goes nuts flaring at the other girls getting angry and showing a large beard... then I floated the cup in the tank that Glaedr is in at the moment and the fish didn't flare once... Tho Glaedr flares at it like he's angry... and don't they flare differently at females than they do at males? So if I can get a video of Glaedr flaring at this fish do you think that will let us know better weather it is male or female? I will try to get a video of the fish in question flaring at the females too. I'll go do that now and post links. I got a couple pics but they are all blurry so I'll try to get a few more now that my hubby isn't poking my side while I'm trying to photograph... *he's a 12 year old in a 28 year old's body*

#12 ·
I'm not too sure about the whole flaring difference between males and females, but it does sound like you have a male on your hands. My little plakat male, Clint, looked like a girl when I first got him. He wouldn't flare at females or males and he even had one of those "fake eggspots". Now that I have had him for a while his "eggspot" has disappeared and he makes the occasionally bubble nest every once in a while. I would say get of video of this supposed "male" if you can. It would definitely be a huge help!

#14 ·
Ok, I was able to get two decent pics... here they are

and it's blurry but here is the gill pic...

And I got two decent videos. The first one shows a lot of flaring... the second one has the best flare in the beginning. Let me know what you guys think cause at this point I'm honestly pretty sure I have a young male PK CT...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UodzrySB2ak&list=UUBvVR6Pu4A9FDQFVd-mpfSA&index=1&feature=plcp
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XW8xEnlVeNI&list=UUBvVR6Pu4A9FDQFVd-mpfSA&index=2&feature=plcp

#15 ·
Mmmmm...it looks like you might have a young crowntail plakat male there, but I'm not too sure. I definitely see the egg spot you talked about; it's a little bit more noticeable than my plakat's was. The ventrals look a little long to me for a female. I won't panic though you probably either have a very aggressive female or a young male.

#16 ·
That's what I thought. I guess I'll set it up in my old Kritter Keeper tank for now and figure out what to do later on. I wasn't expecting to have another male, so I had only ordered 2 2.5gallon tanks from my store for tomorrow's delivery... So It'll have to do for now. I would like to keep it tho as if it is a PK CT male that is super awesome! I am thinking it is just too young for me to tell for sure so I'll just keep an eye on him/her, give it a gender neutral name, lol, and see what happens.

#17 ·
Looks like a little dude to me... but CT PKs are SO cool looking... and his/her fins are gorgeous!

#18 ·
I'm actually tickled at the thought of having a little male PK CT.... Like seriously. I love PK's now that I have Thorn and Glaedr and I am just beside myself thinking that this little fish could possibly be a special one. So yeah. I dunno. I'm leaning towards little male myself. Like I said, time will tell better as it ages and gets bigger, but either male or female it is a very nice looking fish when not stressed and bitten up (the little spot on the top of the body was a good bite that the other female gave this one during their spat in the ten gallon...)

#19 ·
If it turns out that it is a male you are SUPER lucky! Ever since I got Clint I have fallen in love with the plakats! So right now I am super jealous! I think that a kritter keeper should be just fine. I have a male in one right now who is recovering and I think he likes it better than his actual tank :roll:

#20 ·
haha. Yeah I have a 2 gallon Keeper that was Shruikan's first tank. I bumped him into a 2.5gallon glass tank with a mesh cover because of the cats tormenting him, but now he's on a shelf anyways where the cats can't get at the top of the tank so I have no worries setting up the kritter keeper next to his and having it be okay. I'll go set that up and then I'll post pics :) Try to get some better shots of this fish's colors and such. Might have to use the flash tho, we'll see... I need to do a water change on Shruikan's tank anyways.

#21 ·
Yay! Pictures :D That's funny I just got done doing a 100% water change for one of my tanks :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.