Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-02-2012, 03:30 PM   #11 
MandiceP

See now that throws me off a bit.... Ugh why can't I freaking tell the difference. When her cup is floating in the sorority she goes nuts flaring at the other girls getting angry and showing a large beard... then I floated the cup in the tank that Glaedr is in at the moment and the fish didn't flare once... Tho Glaedr flares at it like he's angry... and don't they flare differently at females than they do at males? So if I can get a video of Glaedr flaring at this fish do you think that will let us know better weather it is male or female? I will try to get a video of the fish in question flaring at the females too. I'll go do that now and post links. I got a couple pics but they are all blurry so I'll try to get a few more now that my hubby isn't poking my side while I'm trying to photograph... *he's a 12 year old in a 28 year old's body*
MandiceP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 03:38 PM   #12 
blueridge

I'm not too sure about the whole flaring difference between males and females, but it does sound like you have a male on your hands. My little plakat male, Clint, looked like a girl when I first got him. He wouldn't flare at females or males and he even had one of those "fake eggspots". Now that I have had him for a while his "eggspot" has disappeared and he makes the occasionally bubble nest every once in a while. I would say get of video of this supposed "male" if you can. It would definitely be a huge help!
blueridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 03:53 PM   #13 
LittleBettaFish

Another way to tell besides the beard, ventrals and ovipostor, is the anal fin.

Males tend to have a larger, much more angulated anal fin than females. It's how I've distinguished a lot of 'would-be' females from males as I've had a few pass through my fishroom.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 04:15 PM   #14 
MandiceP

Ok, I was able to get two decent pics... here they are

and it's blurry but here is the gill pic...

And I got two decent videos. The first one shows a lot of flaring... the second one has the best flare in the beginning. Let me know what you guys think cause at this point I'm honestly pretty sure I have a young male PK CT...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uodzr...1&feature=plcp
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XW8xE...2&feature=plcp
Old 02-02-2012, 05:06 PM   #15 
blueridge

Mmmmm...it looks like you might have a young crowntail plakat male there, but I'm not too sure. I definitely see the egg spot you talked about; it's a little bit more noticeable than my plakat's was. The ventrals look a little long to me for a female. I won't panic though you probably either have a very aggressive female or a young male.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:11 PM   #16 
MandiceP

That's what I thought. I guess I'll set it up in my old Kritter Keeper tank for now and figure out what to do later on. I wasn't expecting to have another male, so I had only ordered 2 2.5gallon tanks from my store for tomorrow's delivery... So It'll have to do for now. I would like to keep it tho as if it is a PK CT male that is super awesome! I am thinking it is just too young for me to tell for sure so I'll just keep an eye on him/her, give it a gender neutral name, lol, and see what happens.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:18 PM   #17 
LittleBettas

Looks like a little dude to me... but CT PKs are SO cool looking... and his/her fins are gorgeous!
LittleBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 05:31 PM   #18 
MandiceP

I'm actually tickled at the thought of having a little male PK CT.... Like seriously. I love PK's now that I have Thorn and Glaedr and I am just beside myself thinking that this little fish could possibly be a special one. So yeah. I dunno. I'm leaning towards little male myself. Like I said, time will tell better as it ages and gets bigger, but either male or female it is a very nice looking fish when not stressed and bitten up (the little spot on the top of the body was a good bite that the other female gave this one during their spat in the ten gallon...)
Old 02-02-2012, 05:44 PM   #19 
blueridge

If it turns out that it is a male you are SUPER lucky! Ever since I got Clint I have fallen in love with the plakats! So right now I am super jealous! I think that a kritter keeper should be just fine. I have a male in one right now who is recovering and I think he likes it better than his actual tank
Old 02-02-2012, 05:47 PM   #20 
MandiceP

haha. Yeah I have a 2 gallon Keeper that was Shruikan's first tank. I bumped him into a 2.5gallon glass tank with a mesh cover because of the cats tormenting him, but now he's on a shelf anyways where the cats can't get at the top of the tank so I have no worries setting up the kritter keeper next to his and having it be okay. I'll go set that up and then I'll post pics :) Try to get some better shots of this fish's colors and such. Might have to use the flash tho, we'll see... I need to do a water change on Shruikan's tank anyways.