Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-18-2012, 02:17 PM   #1 
Tobythefish

Ghost shrimp?

I want to set up my 2.5 gallon tank with ghost shrimp and live plants in several months. I will use mossballs and anacharis for the plants. I'm asking a few months ahead of time so I can prepare everything early. The tank will be heated, and I do have a small filter if you think I should use it. My questions are:

1. How many mossballs and anacharis should I put in?
2. How many water changes should I do a week and what percentage of water should I change?
3. How many ghost shrimp should I stock my tank with?
4. What food should I feed them?
5. What should the PH be?

The shrimp will be the only inhabitants of the tank, other than the plants. Thanks for any help.
Tobythefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 05:35 PM   #2 
Bombalurina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobythefish View Post

1. How many mossballs and anacharis should I put in?
As many as you want to, but the more the merrier. If you like a bit of variety, java moss, java fern, lacefern and anubias are all great, easy to care for, low-light plants. Lacefern and anacharis both grow very quickly, so expect to do a bit of trimming.

2. How many water changes should I do a week and what percentage of water should I change?
If it is just ghost shrimp, really not much. Maybe 10% a week, but I reckon you could get away with just 25% monthly. Shrimp have a low bioload and the plants will consume any waste they create.

3. How many ghost shrimp should I stock my tank with?
You could have as many as 25 (10 shrimp per gallon), but I would go with fewer, personally, maybe 15-20.

4. What food should I feed them?
They enjoy the same sort of food as cories - sinking meaty pellets. They may occasionally eat algae wafers, but ghosties are scavengers rather than algae eaters.

5. What should the PH be?
As close to neutral is possible is always good, but unless your pH is abnormally high or low (5.5 or under, 8.5 or higher), really don't worry about it. Adapting to a stable pH is relatively easy for them, and much better than adjusting it all the time.
Just my 2 cents, but I'd go for red cherry shrimp rather than ghosties, if you aren't putting any fish in there. They are very pretty and make a lovely display, plus they are extremely easy to breed. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 05:42 PM   #3 
Tobythefish

If I can find red cherry shrimp at our pet shop, do they eat different food than ghosties? Would they eat algae wafers or not? If I can find the cherry shrimp, I'll get them. Thanks. I'm so excited to set it up, maybe I'll set it up in a month if I can.
Tobythefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 10:58 PM   #4 
Bombalurina

Sorry it has taken me so long to get back, I've been at work for the past two days. Ghosties are scavengers and will eat anything that falls to the ground. Cherries combine scavenging abilities with a bit of algae eating - they'll enjoy a mix of shrimp pellets, fish food, algae wafers, cory pellets...whatever. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote