Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-18-2012, 07:03 PM   #11 
Sakura8

How tiny? Can you see them moving on their own?
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 07:06 PM   #12 
Enkil

They don't seem to be moving on their own, but they're in the current from the filter. Some are very tiny, but others are about the size of a pinhead. Perhaps slightly larger. Hannibal also doesn't seem quite as bloated now. Could these have come from him? o.O
Enkil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 07:19 PM   #13 
Sakura8

It's possible they did come from him. Unless, did you kind of stir up the substrate while looking for poos? It's possible they came from the gravel too.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:22 PM   #14 
Enkil

No. I tried not to move anything except his heater. I even moved that sparingly as moving it seems to stress him now. Whatever they may be, they worry me. So I'm going to do a full tank cleaning with 100% change tonight once Devon gets home and can help me.

When I clean it, should I leave his gravel and plant out to better monitor him?
Old 01-18-2012, 07:30 PM   #15 
Sakura8

Yes, if you can, it would really make it easier for you to tell if he's pooing or not if the tank is barebottom. If the white specks show up again after a 100% change and with no gravel in there, I might wonder if he DOES have an external parasite problem but he's just not rubbing or darting. Not all bettas who have had gill flukes exhibit that behavior.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:41 PM   #16 
Enkil

Is there a special way I should clean it all? Should I maybe boil/use very hot water?

I think he may have trouble closing his gills properly. He did a partial flare (I know know that his gills are black like his head) and seemed fine until he took another breath.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:54 PM   #17 
Sakura8

Yes, hot water usually works pretty well. You can also use hot water and vinegar but in this case, I think hot water should do the trick.

If he had gill flukes, that would explain him not being able to close his gills properly. But he also might not be able to close them because of scar tissue from ammonia burns. It's hard to tell. When you say his gills are black, do you mean the little beard part that comes out when they flare? Because underneath the gill flap, the actual gills should be a healthy pink-red color. If they are a dark or bright red or greyish/white, then there's cause for concern.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:01 PM   #18 
Enkil

He was facing me, so I didn't get a good look. He didn't do a full flare either. I wish he would so that I could see if there is anything that looks physically wrong.

I also turned off his filter for a moment to see what the white specks would do. They don't move on their own. Turning it off also agitated Hannibal. He didn't calm back down until it was on again.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:06 PM   #19 
Sakura8

Hopefully, the white specks are just something that either came from the filter or from the gravel. We'll keep an eye on them. And that's funny Hannibal loves his filter so much. Most bettas hate/tolerate their filters.
Old 01-19-2012, 06:34 PM   #20 
Enkil

Got things cleaned up.
Hannibal looked completely better last night after I got done taking a shower. This both mystifies and worries. I have seen the calm before the storm in other animals and worry what this might mean for him.

However, he ate his blood worms today without a problem. Even the oddly shaped ones he pulled from my grip. He's also been resting on his plant like normal again.