Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-18-2012, 03:35 PM   #1 
ArcticRain

Considering breeding Mr. Plum.... I have some questions.

Lately, I have been thinking about Mr. Plum and how unique he is and how much owning him has changed my life. Since cloning him is out of the question, I have thought about breeding him. This would be my first spawn and I am really worried that things won't go well. I rather own Mr. Plum and not have his fry, then have his fry and loose him.

I have done some research and have decided that if I do breed him I will you plastic tubs from walmart for the spawning/growout tank. I will get a new heater and get a sponge filter. With research comes some concerns and some questions. I have listed them below...

Concern: Since he is a Petco Betta I do not have a female that would make a good match for him. I can NOT buy a female from aquabid, so my only option is buying a HMPK female from Petco.
Question: What color females would be OK for him to breed with? I will definitely look for a Butterfly, but there is a very slim chance that I will find a Salamander.

Concern: I know that you have to condition the pair before you breed them.
Question: What is the best food for me to feed them during this time?

Concern: Even though it is very unlikely for them to produce 500 fry, I do not want 40 - 100 fry that I have to re-home. I have read about separating them before they finish spawning but that, there are usually after effects to both.
Question: What is the best way to ensure that I only get 20 - 30 fry?

Concern: I am fine with culling fry thy may have defects/severe medical issues. Though I may shed a tear I know it will be for the best.
Question: What is the best way to euthanize the fry without using clove oil?

I am new to this and I want to make sure I do it right and that all my fry and both parents will be happy healthy little fishys!!
Any other tips I should know about?
Sorry for asking so many questions!

Here is a picture of Mr. Plum!

Last edited by ArcticRain; 01-18-2012 at 03:41 PM.
ArcticRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 05:59 PM   #2 
Bambi

Question: Is there anything I can do to make sure that Mr. Plum survives and thrives if I decide to spawn?

QT the female to make sure she has no sicknesses or parasites. Make sure you condition them both correctly and, if the female is being to agressive when the pair is finally released together remove her. Better safe the sorry.

Question: What color females would be OK for him to breed with? I will definitely look for a Butterfly, but there is a very slim chance that I will find a Salamander.

Hmm...idealy a salamander female would help you most.
Mustadgas came from salander I believe, so if you can find a mustardgas(blue/yellow) I would use her as a second choice to another salamander.
a butterfly female might be a bit hard to find aswell.
hmmm a female with a red/orange/yellow body might work, bonus point if she has the slight iridescence to make her look purple or brownish(if she's yellow based).
I say orange or yellow aswell because both throw red fry, but also because salamnder tend to throw'yellow salamnder' aswell.

Question: What is the best food for me to feed them during this time?

bloodworms/flightless fruit flies/pinhead crickets all of these canbe found at petsmart and probably petco too

Question: What is the best way to ensure that I only get 20 - 30 fry?

You will very likely only end up with that many anyway. If after the fry hatch and the dad is removed you have more then about 30, you can cull them. Both father and mother(or any fish large enough really) will gobble them up and it's probably the easiest way if you're a bit squeamish about squishing them. You can start by watching for crooked spines and culling those first.

You can also just scoop out some of the eggs before they hatch..but this could freak out the dad causing him to eat the rest, or you could be scooping out the healthy eggs and end up with the ones that won't make it..lots of whats if here which is why i prefer to wait and see how many there are.

when they're still very small, i cull bent spines by feeding to larger fish. circle of life and what not. I wouldn't do this with a know to be sick fish though. when they're tiny they squish fairly easily and if you'e not to squeamish you can just crush them in a tissue. I could never do this though, but it's fast.

I don't recommend the boiling or freezing methods because they're painful ways to go.
Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 08:17 PM   #3 
ArcticRain

Thank you very much for the information! This has really helped a lot and has given me a lot to think about!
Old 01-20-2012, 12:46 AM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

Euthanizing fry: Some people will feed them to bigger fish. I think I'd rather do that than trying to do it myself.
you can control the amount of fry you have by removing the eggs as Bambi stated. I agree that this would probably upset the male and cause him to munch the fry. What you could do if you get to watch the spawning process is take the female out before her eggs are spent.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 01:33 AM   #5 
Bambi

That is another option, I never seem to be able to catch mine in the act though xD
Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 11:27 AM   #6 
tpocicat

I wouldn't be able to scoop out eggs, because I would be afraid I would be scooping the best in the spawn! For me feeding obvious culls with major flaws like bent spine, to larger fish is easiest, and very fast.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 02:38 PM   #7 
ArcticRain

Ok, if I do breed thats what I will do to cull them. Thanks!