Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-18-2012, 03:32 PM   #1 
Enkil

Sick Hannibal..?

I am not sure what is wrong with our Hannibal...

I still have him in his 3.5 gallon tank. His water is about 75*F and doesn't change more than a degree or two. His filter is still working and he only has his hairgrass plant in there with him.

I noticed something wrong last night. He has a white spot on his tail at the tip. Last night it was just a spot. Today it's a little bigger. At first, I thought maybe he was getting some of his pretty white-blue on the ends... But it is only the one spot and it is white.
I also noticed that his right gill flap (?) is sticking out a little. I noticed this because it was moving as he swam and with the slight current from his filter. I find this odd. Especially as he does not flare. Ever.

He is also having more trouble eating. I gave him his freeze-dried blood worms (the store hasn't had mini pellets for us to try and they seem to not carry flakes) which he is a glutton for. He does not play with his food when eating the blood worms. Last night, however, he kept spitting them out. A couple times he seemed to get one down only to spit it back up. He did eventually get a couple down and keep them down.

He's acting like his normal self still. Takes full advantage of the room his tank gives him. He isn't clamped at all. Still shows off his pretty fins and the fact his dorsal has new growth.
Enkil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 03:41 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

We need some more info and a pic if you can....complete this and add to your thread....

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 03:56 PM   #3 
Enkil

Housing
What size is your tank? 3.5 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 75*F
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes, with a betta bowl heater
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? He has no tank mates other than his plastic hairgrass plant.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? TetraBetta Plus pellets (will not eat) and Hikari brand freeze dried blood worms with bio-encapsulated multi-vitamins (now having trouble with)
How often do you feed your betta fish? Once a day

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Betta Bowl Plus

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? Have not tested today

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Yes. He has a white spot on his caudal fin that was not there before. His right gill flap also seems to be hanging out some.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Having trouble with food, but acting the same.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Last night.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No
Does your fish have any history of being ill? It seemed that he had had fin rot before we got him. His dorsal had a huge chunk that was gone all the way to his body. That is growing back nicely.
How old is your fish (approximately)? I do not know. We bought him from petsmart on the 8th of Jan. He appears to be fully grown.

I don't have my camera (I use my boyfriend's cell to take pics of Hannibal and he is at work).
Old 01-18-2012, 04:17 PM   #4 
Enkil

I was just observing him more. Both gills are now affected. The right more than the left.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:21 PM   #5 
Sakura8

Can you describe the white spot? Is it raised and does it look fuzzy/fluffy? Has Hannibal been darting or rubbing or breathing heavily at all?
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 06:33 PM   #6 
Enkil

It just looks like all the color from that spot was bleached out. Doesn't look raised and not fuzzy or fluffy. It hasn't gotten any bigger. (I had to leave for an appointment)

His movements seem the same as usual. He's been pretty active since getting into the heated tank from the nasty cold water he came in.
I have noticed that he has been going to the surface for air more frequently (this comes and goes so I'm unsure why he does it). Also, when he rests, he hasn't been using his plant today. He normally does. He's been resting under the heater instead. Before today, he would do that but usually chose to rest propped between the plant and the side of the tank.

Right now, he his tucked away under his heater he uses as a cave. All I can see of him is his little face.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:37 PM   #7 
Sakura8

The spot on his tail could be just about anything. Does it look like he's missing scales there? Or literally like the color is draining from it? It makes me wonder if he is marbling up, at least on his tail. OFL will know more about this than me.

For his gills, I'm concerned that he may have some ammonia scar tissue that might be interfering with his breathing. If he hasn't been darting or flashing like he might have external parasites, that could be the issue. Otherwise, I would think he might have gill flukes causing his gills to protrude.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:47 PM   #8 
Enkil

His scales appear fine. The color is just missing. He has white tips to his ventral fins which is why I wondered if maybe the tips of his fins are just going to turn white like them. I've seen a lot of bettas with white tipped ventrals though.

His gills worry me a lot. He never flares so I can't get a really good look at them. It looks like they're dark and since his head is black... Makes seeing them really well difficult. Especially now that he seems more inclined to hide under the heater.

Also, I know you asked about his poop in the other thread... I have searched his tank as well as I can without doing another cleaning... No poop to be seen. Not even under his heater. Not sure if maybe the filter is actually doing its job or if he just isn't going.
He also looks a little bloated now.

Do you think that maybe his not wanting/inability to eat before was just some sign of an underlying problem that is now showing itself?
Old 01-18-2012, 06:56 PM   #9 
Sakura8

It's very possible that his lack of poo/bloating is related to his reluctance to eat.

Let's go ahead and get him into 2 tsps of epsom salt per gallon and see if we can encourage him to poo for us. If he hasn't passed any waste within a few days, we'll up the dosage and consider medication. But I'd prefer to see if the epsom salts do their job.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:01 PM   #10 
Enkil

I'll get that done asap then.

I just noticed (because I've been watching him rather intensely to see if I can see anything else wrong or anything) that the filter is buffeting about tiny white particles. These were not there the other day.