Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-18-2012, 08:04 PM   #1 
scrap

Can't find anything on this one.

My friend set up a community tank with 7 glowlight tetras, a khuli loach, 2 adfs, and a VT betta saved from walmart. The tetras started dying suddenly of numerous problems (SBD, a fungus, and ich among them) all are now dead, and the betta and loach (the only survivors, since the fungus got the adfs too) are in a totally cleaned 3 gal while the old 10 gal cycles (it wasnt cycled the first time and an ammonia spike may have happened at some point.

Anyway, the betta is pale, not eating, sluggish, whitish spots on fins, white flesh spots on gills, and bits of white film hanging off of him....any ideas? She is worried it's tuberculosis, since all of the symptoms seem to be there..if so it's a big problem because her dad is immune-deficient...help?

sidenote: he was kind of flung unexpectedly into his new home..which was much cleaner and had much less salt in it....if shock is a possibility here...there is cause for it.

Last edited by scrap; 01-18-2012 at 08:07 PM.
scrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 10:25 PM   #2 
Pataflafla

He could have ammonia poisoning.

It sounds like the 10 gallon was way overstocked with all of those fish and frogs. Ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite could have spiked enough to either outright kill or severely weaken the fish and frogs to where they could get infections and fungus.

The film could be him getting rid of his slime coat, which would be indicative of poor water conditions coupled with his lethargy. For now, try 100% quarantining him in a small container you can float to keep him warm and doing 100% daily changes for him.

You're using a water conditioner to remove chlorine and chloramines, right? If not, I suggest either getting something for that or have water aging immediately.

Also, salt is not needed for full time use with bettas. aquarium salt for long term can actually cause damage to the kidneys since they have to work harder to filter the fluids the body is retaining. Plain tap water and a water conditioner are enough for a betta along with temperatures 76-80.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 05:20 AM   #3 
scrap

the 3gal is being heated at about 80 atm. the salt was to treat ich, and yes conditioner has been used. The ammonia spikes I think came from the fish that disappeared(we never found a dead tetra and 1 of the adfs)..and food that was left uneaten by sick fish. I mentioned the salt because Regardless of the need for it, it added to the shock of the change in conditions. It's actually pretty good to hear it's only ammonia poisoning though...at least we can save him from that.

As far as the overstocking we were told it was fine by the guy at petsmart....a guy who kept several aquariums himself. For the new tank would 3 loaches and 3 platies be fine? (this being after we get everyone back to health and the tank is actually cycled this time)
scrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 06:21 AM   #4 
Pataflafla

I believe loaches get rather large.

There's a community tank section that could probably help you out a lot more than I could since I've never kept a community tank.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote