Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-11-2012, 01:14 AM   #1 
Comet1993

Exclamation Uh-Oh... Help! :(

So... I noticed some white on the tip of Turbo's tail and was pretty certain it was finally new growth.. There was more the next day.. So, I was all like, "Yay!!! :) He's totally getting better!!! His fins will be all back to normal!".. Well... >.> Maybe not.. It may be slime coat.. I'm not honestly sure what that looks like.. But, what I thought was slime coat, would usually go away. This isn't.. And there's more of it... Practically more every day... It looks kind of like.. Mold? :/ Ew. I know. Poor Turbo. =( It's on his fins, mostly the tips of his anal fin (not much), but there is a lot more on the end of his caudal fin.. There was a speck that was like in the direct center of his anal fin.. It didn't look particularly fluffy.. But it was gone within a day. So... Is this just like..mass loss of slime coat? -Crosses fingers- Or would it be something serious, like fungus or columnaris? Ugh. I hope not..
Comet1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 01:08 PM   #2 
Comet1993

Okay; this is most definitely not slime coat... It seems to be eating away at his fins. o.o Help... Pleaseee!
Old 01-11-2012, 01:21 PM   #3 
callistra

Photos are needed please. Fill this out

Quote:
Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 03:27 PM   #4 
Comet1993

Housing
What size is your tank? Ten gallons.
What temperature is your tank? Seventy-six degrees.
Does your tank have a filter? Yes.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No; I removed it a long time ago.
Is your tank heated? Yes.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? He has a moss ball.. And two "stalks" of cabomba; I'm removing the cabomba today.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Pellets and granules, at the moment.
How often do you feed your betta fish? Usually once or twice a day; about two pellets at a time or three little granules at a time. Less frequently, since he's seemed to be bloating on and off when he was in the quarantine tank, and I got concerned about that. But it went away. =)

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? In the ten-gallon, usually about once a week. I tried to change it every day in the hospital tank, or every other day, but he seemed really stressed some days, so I'd wait a little.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? In the hospital tank, 100%. In the ten-gallon... Usually...forty or fifty percent, maybe.
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Water conditioner.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
I haven't tested these today.
Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? His fins were jagged; now, they have the "moldy" stuff on them.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He's not as active, but he still swims around; he still eats normally.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? About two days ago, but there wasn't much of it, so I thought the white may have been new fin growth. =[ Guess not.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Yes; he was formerly being treated for fin rot.. Didn't work out too well. He wouldn't tolerate the salt at all.
How old is your fish (approximately)? I have no idea. Maybe... A year old, I'd say? Six months to a year..

I'm pretty sure it's columnaris; not completely sure, but pretty sure.. I've heard you're supposed to treat it with salt.. But.. My fish absolutely will not tolerate salt. At all... I tried to get some pictures. They're not the best quality, but you can get a fairly good picture of the "moldy" stuff... =/

In the first picture, the white on the end of the thin fin near the front is just the coloring of his ventral fin; he has white tips. The other three spots (the caudal fin being much worse) are where the stuff is..
Attached Images

Old 01-11-2012, 07:19 PM   #5 
Comet1993

Okay.. Odd. On the fin with the most of the stuff... Some is missing.. But it's like..a clean cut.. It's about as un-jagged as it's been in probably over a month now.. I don't see any more coming.. But it's pretty obvious that, where it is, the fin comes off...cleanly... Not jagged or frayed, like it was.. And.. He's acting pretty normal. Swimming around, eating, chasing my finger.. I just got out of the shower..and... Found a nice bubble nest. So..... Is this normal? It doesn't seem like it could be.. But.. He had fin issues for a while.. Could this just be..him purging it? Like..mass loss of slime coat????? Does anyone have a picture of it? I'm confused. =[
Old 01-11-2012, 07:43 PM   #6 
Sakura8

It could be a fungus, saprolegnia. Since his behavior hasn't changed much and he's been dealing with this for quite a while, it probably isn't columnaris. You can treat saprolegnia with Malachite Green but beware, it can stain your tank.

If it is a mass loss of slime coat, then we probably need to look at your water chemistry to see if there's something disagreeing with Turbo. Luna is okay though, right? She's not showing any white fuzzies or loss of slime coat?
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 09:32 PM   #7 
Comet1993

When he was in the hospital tank, he'd have little..like.."strings".. Which may have been from stagnant water, I heard (no filter in a tiny, tiny tank).. Idk. But this looks different, and I just noticed it... Maybe...three days ago? I noticed there was more of it two days ago-ish... Isn't Malachite Green like really toxic, and doesn't it turn your water all blue (Even though it's called Malachite Green; ironic and oddly enough...)? >.< Luna is still just the same. :) All cute and healthy-looking.. And she flares. She flares sooo much. xD
Okay; second edit. I just looked that up, and I'm pretty sure that you're right.
http://www.badmanstropicalfish.com/f...html#Finfungus
That site shows a few pictures, and the picture of the blue betta fish (the first and third) look almost exactly like what Turbo has!! They call it "cotton fin fungus", often caused by the pathogen.. Yep; you guessed it (literally). Saprolegnia.
Great. >.> From fin rot to a fungal infection.

Last edited by Comet1993; 01-11-2012 at 09:47 PM. Reason: Luna! =]; More information; Forgot to put reason for editing...
Old 01-11-2012, 10:00 PM   #8 
Sakura8

I'm glad we finally narrowed it down. :) Try Malachite Green (be careful not to get any of it on your hands or to breathe it in) and hopefully that does the trick. Sapro should hopefully be easier to treat than the fin rot. It's too bad he's so sensitive to salt because 1 tsp of that would help too. But not if it does more harm than good.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:03 PM   #9 
Comet1993

Do you know where I could get it at? Or is there a medication that contains it?
Old 01-12-2012, 07:46 PM   #10 
Sakura8

Petsmart may have Malachite Green. Otherwise you can get Fungus Cure or Betta Revive.