Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-25-2009, 10:42 PM   #1 
socom3riot

HELP! Betta dying I think :(

Ok, first off, my beta is around 3 year old. Not quite 3 years yet, but getting there. I have been told this is really old for a betta.

I noticed about a week or so ago that the fish started laying on the bottom of its bowl. People said "oh betas are known for being lazy" but in its entire life, I have never seen him act this way.

Now, it has been over a week, and he barely moves. He lays on his side at the bottom of the bowl, will not swim around unless touched. He will not eat, from what I have seen anyway. And he looks as if he is struggling to breathe, with his gills looking as though they are reach far out for oxygen.

One other thing to note is, once in a while, VERY RARELY, he will swim towards the top of the water, and go crazy swimming around and around as though he is trying to get his oxygen, but cannot get it. This doesnt happen often though.

Sorry for the short story, but im just trying to state everything I have noticed. I do realize he is really old, but if there is some possibilty that he is just sick, well, then I am going to try and do whatever I can.

Thanks.
socom3riot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 10:50 PM   #2 
socom3riot

Quote:
Originally Posted by socom3riot View Post
Ok, first off, my beta is around 3 year old. Not quite 3 years yet, but getting there. I have been told this is really old for a betta.

I noticed about a week or so ago that the fish started laying on the bottom of its bowl. People said "oh betas are known for being lazy" but in its entire life, I have never seen him act this way.

Now, it has been over a week, and he barely moves. He lays on his side at the bottom of the bowl, will not swim around unless touched. He will not eat, from what I have seen anyway. And he looks as if he is struggling to breathe, with his gills looking as though they are reach far out for oxygen.

One other thing to note is, once in a while, VERY RARELY, he will swim towards the top of the water, and go crazy swimming around and around as though he is trying to get his oxygen, but cannot get it. This doesnt happen often though.

Sorry for the short story, but im just trying to state everything I have noticed. I do realize he is really old, but if there is some possibilty that he is just sick, well, then I am going to try and do whatever I can.

Thanks.
Sorry I forgot something. I notice too that its almost as if he cant float right anymore... if that makes any sense... when he does try to swim, its like he is struggling to stay a float. Like hes trying really hard to swim, where as before it looked almost as if he wasnt trying at all.
Old 04-25-2009, 11:20 PM   #3 
socom3riot

Sorry, I keep thinking of things.
I notice his body kind of curves too.

Sometimes it will curve like in a " U " , sometimes it will curve in more of a "S". Almost like hes having spasms of some sort.

I do realize he is really old, at 3 years, but Im still thinking hes sick with something.
Old 04-26-2009, 11:28 PM   #4 
socom3riot

Thank you to all the 40 views with no reply. Appreciate it.
Old 04-27-2009, 12:48 AM   #5 
onekatietwo

Yikes.
Maybe none of the viewers have had any ideas.
onekatietwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 11:38 AM   #6 
LaniBaby

it might just be old age. I think no one wants to reply because no one wants to give wrong or sad advice. I can't say that I know of that being the symptoms of anything particular, but my last fish, tuttle, got fin rot. after he started lying on the bottom and stopped eating, there wasn't anything i could do for him anymore. you can try putting him in a little cup with about an inch or 2 of water to see if he wants to eat but just can't swim up to the top well enough.

are all his fins intact? no issues with the swim fins being deteriorated?
LaniBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 06:16 PM   #7 
dukie1346

Well, of course it may be old age. With him laying on his side and him swimming in an S shape, he may have sbd which may or may not pass. There could be something else wrong, or just age. What size tank or bowl is he in? If he is in a large tank, I suggest moving him to a smaller maybe temporary container with some clean water. If he's struggling to swim, the shorter container may help to let him breathe a bit better. How long has he gone with no food? If it's been a long while, just keep trying to feed him, If it's been only a couple days, don't be all too worried, Betta's can survive with no food for up to 1- maybe 2 weeks. He may get too hungry and fnally eat. Good Luck.......
dukie1346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 12:34 PM   #8 
socom3riot

I've noticed his 2 fins on the bottom, the ones that kinda look like whiskers, are changing color, to a white-sh color. Infact his entire body is losing color, hes not the bright purple color he once was. But the whiskers at the bottom of the body are definitely turning white.

He hasn't eaten in well over a week now. I changed his water today and he didn't even attempt to get away from me, just laid there and let me scoop him out. Then once he was in the small bowl he started goin nuts for a minute and then laid back down on the bottom.

He's in a bowl that holds around 1 US gallon of water.

I dont know, I hear everyone talking about nitrates and all this other stuff. I've had this betta for around 3 years, and all I did was take water straight from the tap, let it sit out for around 2-3 days to evaporate any chlorine or w/e. And hes lasted 3 years so far, so I dont think it has anything to do with the water or anything.

I'll see if I can get a picture of him, I'll have to borrow a digi cam from a friend.
Old 04-28-2009, 01:11 PM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

Its best to use dechlorinator in your water to take all the chlorine and chloramine out of it instead of just letting the water sit for a few days. I'm sorry to say this but I think your fish is dying. Mine did the same thing before he died. Considering his age, I think he's lived a good, long life.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 12:08 AM   #10 
BennysMom

What happened to your Betta?
I am curious because the same thing is happening to mine now.
He was fine a few days ago, then just stopped eating.
He has been on the bottom of the tank for 5 days now, and still hasn't eaten. He has lost all his color and has curved his body as well. I feel so bad for the little guy, like he's in pain and there's nothing I can do about it. My Betta is about 2 years old, and everyone is saying it's old age. So weird that he can be fine one day and close to dying the next.
Please let me know what happened to your Betta and maybe I can help mine.
BennysMom is offline   Reply With Quote