Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-19-2012, 04:16 PM   #11 
Pataflafla

Don't worry too much about it. Tail biters are frustrating to no end, so stressing about the biting is almost completely pointless. They'll bite as soon as you think they're done.

Perhaps Chester can see his reflection, but I'm doubting it if his tank is rounded. I've only experienced a betta flaring at its reflection in a rectangular/square tank; never a curved one.

Biting is usually boredom, stress, insecurity, or aggression related. Some bite to bite and some also bite to relieve weight. I think your best bet is to keep him tired out with flaring, but also calm when he's not flaring.

He might like to chase a button around his tank, which will be great exercise for him as well.

Clean water and a high protein diet will be his best aid in regrowth.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 11:42 AM   #12 
ANHEL123

When you do aquarium salt treatment you need to pre mix salt in one gall jug for the right dosage. Don't put in directly in to the tank. You can take a gall from spring water or from milk. Just rinse it very well with water if it from milk.
You need to do 100% daily water changes. You did a little differently...:)

Also you can feed your betta with cooked shrimp (size of the pellet) . I usually feed them with it the day when i do 100% water changes. I just substitute pellets with shrimp that day. I give them 2 pieces in the margining and 2 at night. Disadvantage only that is sinking to the bottom really fast if they miss it. My bettas usually grab it from my finger. I just don't want it to stay at the bottom of the tank and contaminate the water that is why i feed them with it only when i change 100% so i can clean the bottom.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 11:51 AM   #13 
orphansparrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pataflafla View Post
He might like to chase a button around his tank, which will be great exercise for him as well.
Sorry for butting in, but I just wondered about this...Do you mean, put a button in their tank...Just drop it in? Does it float? And they chase it? Haha, never heard of this. Thanks. ~
orphansparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 04:49 PM   #14 
Pataflafla

I meant tied to some string. It'll float for a little bit, but if you poke it a little, it'll sink so you can have up and down motion for them to chase as well.

Last edited by Pataflafla; 01-20-2012 at 04:51 PM.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 05:23 PM   #15 
orphansparrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pataflafla View Post
I meant tied to some string. It'll float for a little bit, but if you poke it a little, it'll sink so you can have up and down motion for them to chase as well.
oh, i see. :) good idea, thanks!
orphansparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 06:34 PM   #16 
HermitGuy101

keep the five gallon, so when he's good and healthy, he'll be able to live a better life.
HermitGuy101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 08:46 AM   #17 
ANHEL123

I have those little glass thermometers which you can stick in side of the tank. Each of my tanks have them. One of my betta keeps circling around that thermometer. It very funny..but it came to my mind that it can destruct your betta.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote