Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-21-2012, 02:52 PM   #1 
Skyentist

something wrong with my betta, PLEASE HELP!!!

Hey guys, I'm new to the betta world. I just got a male betta about a week and a half ago. I had a small vase/bowl for him when i first got him and about a few days later I upgraded to a bigger bowl. His first day in the smaller vase he didn't eat, then slowly he ate more and more. Then I transferred him to the bigger bowl, and now he won't eat. He's been in there for 3 days and hasn't eaten a bit. He takes the little food pellet in his mouth, chews it or something then spits it out and looks at it for a while. He did this for a little bit at first in the smaller vase, but eventually he started eating the pellets. Now I'm just worried that my first betta is either sick and will die, or for some reason won't eat the food and will starve himself to death. I've tried different types of food, I changed the water once and added some water cleaner for betta fish. I don't know what's wrong! His fins aren't clamped and he still swims around his bowl, except the more time that passes without him eating the slower he becomes.

If anyone has any ideas please share!!!!!
Skyentist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 03:10 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum and sorry you are having problems...we need some more information.....

How big is the bowl, how much and how often are the water changes and when was the last one, water temp, filter, live plants, type/amount of additives used, source water-is it well water, city supply-tap...etc...and if tap water-does it go through a water softening unit on the house, do you have a heater and thermometer.....can you post a pic....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 03:14 PM   #3 
Skyentist

i have bamboo in the bowl, it's a little less than a gallon, rocks at the bottom. i've only had him for about a week and a half and i've changed the water once. i'm not sure what the temperature is but it's probably the same temperature as my room. i used spring water because the people who sold me him said not to use tap.
Old 01-21-2012, 03:36 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

As long as the bamboo leaves are out of the water-it should be fine, however, watch for rotting since it can cause some water quality problems...

Spring water is not recommend for long term use due to the filtering process can remove the minerals needed for long term health and sometimes this water is just filtered tap and can still contain chlorine/chloramine and you still need to use a dechlorinator....

You may or may not need a heater, however, its good to have one on hand-its important to maintain a somewhat stable temp in the 76-80F range since this is a tropical species.

You do need a thermometer to monitor the temp in the tanks and to monitor the replacement water used for water changes-you want to try and keep the temp between new and old water within a few degrees to prevent temp shock issues-sudden and extreme temp and chemistry changes can stress them and this in turn can compromise the immune response.

In a 1gal unfiltered tank-even with the Bamboo I would recommend twice weekly water changes...1-50% and 1-100% to maintain water quality

On the 50% you don't need to remove him but with the 100% you need to place him in a holding container-you also need to re-acclimate him to the new chemistry by adding small amount of the new, dechlorinated, like temp water to him in the holding container over 10-15min before you add him back to his tank...

Nutrition-a good quality varied diet fed in small frequent meals-don't overfed and remove any uneaten food within a reasonable time so not to foul the water too fast between water changes....

Right now....I would make a 25% water change using your tap water and dechlorinator daily for the next 4 days-Then get on the twice weekly schedule to maintain water quality-
Get a thermometer to ensure he is kept at the proper temp-you may need a heater-but this will depend on the water temp-Often Bettas will get lethargic, go off food, hide, clamp fins...etc...due to too cool water temp and poor water quality...fix both of these and he should perk up....if not he may need a treatment....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 03:41 PM   #5 
Skyentist

Old 01-21-2012, 03:43 PM   #6 
Skyentist

thanks a lot! i don't have a heater or thermometer so it could be because the water is too cold.
Old 01-21-2012, 03:49 PM   #7 
kfryman

If you can your betta would be much happier in a bigger tank. Petco makes these critter keepers, the large holds 3 gallons and that is very safe to heat. If you don't have money or room I understand completely.

Hope he gets better! Just maintain the water quality and temp and he should be good.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 04:22 PM   #8 
Gen2387

As mentioned above, you can buy one of those kritter keeper for about 10$ and they have different sizes although I would go for one that's at least 2 gallon. Bettas need space to swim and warm water (between 76 and 80) to be happy and healthy. :) The water in the tank will always be colder than the surrounding temperature of the room, thus the heater and thermometer. :)

You also need (and this is VERY important) water conditioner to prep the tap water.

As for water changes if your tank isn't filtered, I would do at least one 50% and one 100% every week. Even better is 2x 50% and 1x 100% every week. Ammonia builds up really fast in small tanks.

Good Luck!!!!

Last edited by Gen2387; 01-21-2012 at 04:24 PM. Reason: Forgot something
Gen2387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 04:27 PM   #9 
Sena Hansler

Yeah! I never liked the cleaning in smaller tanks so I like bigger ones :3 Also, 2.5 + is easier to heat =D
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote