Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-21-2012, 07:30 PM   #1 
RedFynn21

A case of Fin Rot? Or, just his natural fin color?

Hey all,

I just picked this guy up from Wal-Mart today. He was one of the only somewhat healthy bettas there. I was leery of getting any at wally world, but he was just too pretty to pass up. I got him home, and noticed some black coloring on the edge of his fins. Is it possibly fin rot--as I've never seen it before--or is it just his natural coloring? I just know that my other red VT doesn't look even close to him. What do you guys think? Any input would be great. Thanks!

Sorry the pics are so terrible--he wouldn't stay still long enough.

RedFynn21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 08:19 PM   #2 
Pucky21811

He is STUNNING! Especially for a wal mart find. Lucky you! Also, welcome to the forum!

Yes, I would say that is the start fin rot. It probably is because of the bad water conditions he had at wal mart. You could wait a week or so with proper water changes to see if it improves. If not, you could buy AQ salts.
Pucky21811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 11:27 PM   #3 
earthworm88

Love the coloring!

From the first and second photos, I would say that may be his natural coloring because they don't look like fin rot to me. However, I would still have Aquarium salt on standby if you don't already as it's always good to have it handy. Be sure to keep his water super clean and observe for any changes to his fins.

Great find! Good luck.

Cheers!
earthworm88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 11:40 PM   #4 
LittleBettas

It looks like natural coloring to me also... but just in case, like earthworm said... make sure you have some AQ salt on hand... but for now, just make sure his water is staying EXTRA clean just in case
LittleBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 03:36 AM   #5 
RedFynn21

I'll pick up AQ salt asap. Thanks for the info. Never dealt w/ fin rot before, so I wasn't sure what I was looking at.
RedFynn21 is offline   Reply With Quote