Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-18-2012, 11:30 AM   #1 
a123andpoof

10g heater?

I need a new heater for my 10g. I have two tetras and they barely bring it up to 76. I want something that will heat it divided 3 ways. The dividers are canvas. And will heat the bottom as well as the top. I am looking at the marine and elite radient. I would like something under $20 if possible.
a123andpoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 06:03 PM   #2 
thekoimaiden
Reference Team

For a heater I'd say to get a completely submersible heater that is at least 50 watts. I have Aqueon Pro 50w for my betta tanks. If you place it horizontal at the bottom convection currents will heat the entire tank. If you place it vertical (like they normally are) you will need a filter to facilitate water movement. However you are working on a tight budget. Aqueons usually cost about $40, but you might be able to find it on Amazon for $15.

It sounds like the problem you might be having is water stratification. Is the heater right next to the filter? Does the very bottom feel much colder to your hand than the top?
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 06:21 PM   #3 
callistra

I have a 50w Marineland Visitherm and I love it. However, since discovering how well the 50w works in a 5g I'd say 100w Visitherm would be the way I'd go if I were to repeat.

Just may have been my luck but my aqueons all had really unstable heating. I'd get it set where I thought it should be and it'd be okay for a day or two then whamo it'd jump all over the place again. Seemed to think anything I set it at belonged at 80. finally gave up and returned it.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 06:24 PM   #4 
kfryman

I agree with thekoimaiden, you need to have at least a 50w. I have the Aqueon 100w pro series for my 15g. It heats the tank at a constant temperature. Use the heater and monitor it. The 50w is right here http://www.amazon.com/06105-Heaters-...6932597&sr=8-3 , it is more expensive but you are getting a quality heater. Plus most heaters for 10g and up will get more expensive.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 08:54 PM   #5 
a123andpoof

No the heaters are not close to the filter. And yes the bottom is colder. I will look into all those. I think both the tetras are 100w. I don't know why they don't heat it well. Maybe I should try changing the position. Does anyone know about the ones I posted? As I found some in my price range. I will look into all the ones posted here and any more suggestions are great!
Old 01-18-2012, 10:14 PM   #6 
thekoimaiden
Reference Team

The best place for a heater is by the filter. The filter's job is to circulate the warm water around the tank (and of course bio and mechanical filtration). I had a very similar problem in my betta tanks. Try putting the heater beside the filter before you go and invest in another heater. If they are 100w, they should be holding the temp just fine.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 10:28 PM   #7 
a123andpoof

I will try that thanks! I really hope I can warm it up for my new boy. I think the warmer I can get it the more he will color up!
Old 01-19-2012, 11:37 AM   #8 
kfryman

I have those tetra heaters and they are preset. I hate them with a passion lol, they certainly don not heat to a steady temp or at least a nice steady temp like 78.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 01:56 PM   #9 
a123andpoof

Yeah. They are okay for my smaller tanks, but I am thinking of slowly getting diffrent heaters for all of them.