Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-12-2011, 11:32 AM   #1 
purplemuffin

Life Happenings

Heh, I was hoping to have a more appropriate start to this thread. I just haven't had the chance! Finals week is a killer!

I'll do a quick post. For those who do not yet know, I sadly do not own any bettas right now. I someday would like more. A male, and maybe a sorority(Oh, I love female bettas), but right now that's not going to happen. When it was realized it would cost me as much to set up a 10 g sorority as it will to set up the 55 gallon, let's just say I had a bit of a push to go with the 'better deal'.

But someday, someday I'll keep my ladies. Hopefully someday soon.

The last few days have been full of school, animals, and studying up to get a 55 gallon tank ready to be cycled! It was last used for a snake and so it needs a looot of cleaning! I keep hearing to either use vinegar and water or bleach and water. Of course I won't do anything til I know for sure. But cleaning that tank is next on the agenda.

The best part is the tank also came with lots and lots of driftwood. Yes that driftwood is dirty, but it can also be cleaned. Woohoo! Already got some tank decor.

People say you need 90% coverage to get a silent cycle, but what does that mean? 90% of the tank is plants? Surely not. I haven't found any pictures explaining what it means. It would help me figure out how many plants to buy. The aquarium store online I was going to buy plants from has a 20g package. But if I buy two, or even three..is that enough just to 'make the tank look good', or is it enough to cycle the tank? Blah blah blah. I just need a reference. Maybe someone will read this and help?

Nagini always looks her best on the days I don't bring my camera. I swear, she does it on purpose. We need a light box! But she's so active I laugh at thinking I could keep her in there! I got some iphone pictures, but they are all a mess because she was flying around the room wanting to look at everything. What a nut! She's so big now. I can't believe she used to fit in my hand! Eventually I'll probably be saying, "I can't believe I used to be able to carry her weight in one hand!" Hehe...She's gonna be a big girl!

Back to studying for me!
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 12:33 PM   #2 
Calmwaters

Good luck on your exams! I would just like to make a recommendation take a look at mikeswetpets on aquabid he has an awesome package for a 55 gallon set up for $53 that I ordered and it would be enough in my opinon to cycle your tank for you. His plants are awesome and his customer service is great to here is a picture of my tank so you can see what I got from him. The only thing that was already in my tank was a bananna plant, frogbit at the top, and the piece of water sprite that is almost in the middle along the back it was 21 plants in all there are a few that you can not see because they blend in I am going to be replaceing the brown gravel in a few months with black to help the plants stand out more:
Calmwaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 02:07 PM   #3 
purplemuffin

Awesome! And I was planning on having even more plants than that! :D I should end up pretty stable then if that works.

I'm also helping my boyfriend and his sister look for the bearded dragons they really want But good lord are they picky. Nathan wants a solid orange/red monster like this:

And his sister wants a white/yellow beauty like this:

Going to be some serious money! But they'll be the ones paying for it. I'm just here to find them the beardies of their dreams..lol.
Old 12-12-2011, 02:22 PM   #4 
Calmwaters

Wow those are nice!
Old 12-12-2011, 02:28 PM   #5 
purplemuffin

AHA, And I'm sure they are very expensive. The only beardies we see around here are brown and yellow. I have no idea where to find these ridiculous lava colored ones. Oh dear. Well, they'd be the ones paying for them!

I need to start cooking again. We've been living with my grandmother while we are moving(our new house is a foreclosure..which means we have to wait for the bank to get their act together to finally close on the house and let us move in!) and since we've been here I've just been laaazy. The most I made was a "pizza" using a portabella mushroom as the 'crust' and some spaghetti squash. Other than that I'm just making salads salads salads and sandwiches. But mom keeps trying to buy me frozen veggie meals, but they aren't so good. I'm NOT too big of a fan of the store bought veggie burgers, yuck!! But dude... I make a mean bean burger. I need to make some of those soon.
Old 12-12-2011, 02:46 PM   #6 
Calmwaters

LOL yeah I did not even know that bearded dragons came in different colors. ; ) I eat meat but that bean burger does sound good and I love portabella mushrooms cooked in a little bit of Terriaki Sause.
Old 12-12-2011, 02:51 PM   #7 
purplemuffin

I eat meat too, just not much! :D I feel too sluggish and lame afterwards. But sometimes I don't mind going after a real burger or one of my grandpa's steaks! But other than that, I'm pretty veggie. It all really depends though, I just happen to like the taste of vegetables the most haha!
Old 12-12-2011, 03:02 PM   #8 
Calmwaters

LOL I love when my dad grills steak and my mom makes baked potatos when I go visit them. MMmmm now I am getting hungry. LOL
Old 12-12-2011, 11:26 PM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

I didn't know they came in different colors. If I was getting into reptiles I would consider beardies. They're fun to watch.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 01:28 AM   #10 
purplemuffin

They are REALLY good ones, decent beginner lizards, though on the expensive side. They need UVB light which must be replaced when the UVB goes out(the light itself may still work), which is about every 6 months? They need a minimum 40 gallon breeder tank or enclosure.. Lots of heat... Greens and bugs... Pricy. But some of the BEST personalities of any lizard, they become like people's children. Very chill, they will just lay back and sit with ya all day..

These colors are upwards of 100 dollars though, pricier morphs.. Sometimes the babies who start out brown 'normals' will turn into insane looking adults like this. Sometimes babies born bright turn dull! It's hard to tell, cause their patterns and colors can change so much as they age. But all beardies no matter what color make very fun pets!

Today I did a massive cleaning of the 5 gallon and rearranged everything a little bit. It's fun seeing what different ways I can set up the tank. But golly is gravel a pain in the butt to clean hahaha.