Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-19-2012, 07:46 PM   #1 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

5gal & 10gal Ideas.

So, parents leaving on the 4th, wooo, time to bring in new tanks ^^ (they'll be mad at first, but once something's in my room they don't do anything about it)

At first, I was thinking of putting Gil in a 5gal with 2 ADFs. I read the potential feeding problem, and I'm more than willing to hand feed the frogs (with tweezers). That being said, any other problems that could occur? I can't think of any, betta at the top, frogs at the bottom. >_< I really want the adorable little guys, but I'd settle for shrimp if push came to shove, even though I seem to fail at them. I had 4 ghost shrimp that died before, but Gilbert just stared at one, saw it move then was like WOOAH let's leave that alone, till they died. Then he ate them. xD This tank would be planted, heated, cycled (never done that before:D), filtered, and hopefully have sand substrate.

BUT THEN, I measured where I wanna put the 5 gal, and realized, a 10 gal could fit comfortably! But since a filled 10gal weighs 110lbs blablabla I sat on it and it was sturdy blablabla I CAN PUT A 10GAL ON MY DESK. (this is getting long).

So, besides my ADF question, I was wondering what numbers I could do for in a 10gal with Gilbert? Here are this fish I like:
-Cories, obvious choice, some small fancy ones
-Zebra Danios (really like the long finned ones on the petsmart site)
-A dwarf gourami
-Kuhli Loach
-Orange Von Rio Flame Tetra super love these guys. http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...&lmdn=Pet+Type
-Red Belly X-Ray Tetra OR was thinking blind cave tetras? but would they have trouble competing for food? http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...&lmdn=Pet+Type
-Silver Hatchetfish, LOVE these, but don't think they'll work since they're top swimmers
-Cardinal Tetra
-& Shrimpies.

I wanna know how many of each of these guys I could have with Gil in a 10gal (like, of each species, not all of these in there). I get that 10gal is still small to work with though Dx
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 09:53 PM   #2 
hedgehog

I only know how many cories you could do in a ten gallon tank for certain so I'll just answer that and hopefully someone else comes along to answer the rest. For pygmy cories you could do 6-8. For a mid size species like pandas you could do 4-6. For a larger species like Bronze cories, albino cories, or green cories (all the same species C. aeneus) you could do 4-5. Cories should be kept in groups of 4 of the same species at the least. Different colorations of cories within the same species will school with each other for example an albino, a bronze, and a green cory will all school.
hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 08:49 PM   #3 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Thanks hedgie^^ someone else posted a good article about compatibilities also, so got the fish out of the way. Would I be able to do the cories/loaches AND tetras? I think that's too much for a tank, but just wanna double check.

Also any help on ADFs would still be appreciated :D
Old 01-21-2012, 12:11 AM   #4 
Bombalurina

I can't comment on the ADFs, but I would forget the danios right away - too many potential problems, and they are such active fish. They do much better in a 15 long, minimum.

Dwarf gouramis are out - gouramis and bettas are both part of the anabatoid family and generally do not get along well.

Some say kuhlis are fine for a ten gallon, others say it isn't enough space. I love kuhlis and think they should be ok for a ten, but only if they are the only other species apart from the betta. If you don't get more than six, you'll never see them. The more you have, the more you'll see of them. :)

Definitely wouldn't suggest the hatchetfish with the betta - they would be too much of a target, since they are top-dwellers.

I wouldn't go with any of the tetras you've suggested, just because I have a thing about not keeping tetras in less than 15 gallons. Most of them are fairly active swimmers and need the extra length. A great tetra species for a ten is the ember tetra. They also make great betta tankmates as they are extremely peaceful, not nippy like many other species can be.

I would probably go for 4 pandas and 6 embers with the betta. An alternative to tetras would be male Endler's livebearers - very pretty. :) I'd go 4 Endlers + 4 pandas or 6 pygmies.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 01:31 AM   #5 
Jrf456

Just wanted to pop in & say I'm stalking this post because I'd REALLY like some ADF's in my future 10g sorority xD

In my past experience, 4-5 fancy breed cories like albinos & emeralds should be kept at a minimum of 5 (schooling). But I really hope the ADF's work out :D
Jrf456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 09:21 AM   #6 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

For the 10gal if I get it, I've actually decided on 6 Von Rio (ember) tetras OR galaxy rasboras (saw them last night and they look like my favorite- celestial pearl danios) if I find them.

I'm gonna try the ADFs for the 5gal. I'm gonna feed them with tweezers and see how it works out. They have such bad sight that if I get frustrated I'll prolly just separate them, but I'm willing to try :D
Old 01-21-2012, 01:57 PM   #7 
Jrf456

Do you think they'd work with a 10g 5 girl sorority?
Jrf456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 02:10 PM   #8 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

I have no experience with the frogs. From what I read the frog has a smaller bioload than fish do, so that's a plus. Like bettas, they're subjected to the tiny cage myth thing. I think you'd be able to do it, but you'd almost surely have to feed them by hand. They are slow and dopey and it takes them a while to find food. There's special HBH frog tablets that will provide them a complete diet, and they like bloodworms. They also tend to stick to the bottom of the tank, so they wouldn't be in the way of the fish.

By the 11th, I should have a good idea of the time commitment required to handfeed the frogs. Adults (1inch) only need to be every other day, but smaller ones need daily feeding. Gonna start a new topic about my discoveries about these guys.
Old 01-21-2012, 05:44 PM   #9 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Ouch Dx Just found out that Galaxy Rasbora = Celestial Pearl Danio & they are cold water fish.
Old 01-21-2012, 08:26 PM   #10 
Bombalurina

Where did you get that info? They live perfectly happily in many tropical tanks that I've seen. They have a decent temperature range, from 68-79F. If you can get these, colour me jealous.

Slightly confuzzled - are you thinking of Von Rios or Embers? They are a different species.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote