Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-19-2012, 08:07 PM   #1 
LittleBettas

Picking a male... and more breeding questions

So....
The decision has been made... a friend of mine has a 150 gallon NPT that she wants to turn into a sorority tank, when she found out I was breeding she was of course VERY interested in purchasing females from me.... so Ihave her choice on what kind (she may also purchase 3 or 3 males for a 10 gallon she has... though it is not NPT... yet)....so I decided since she would be my main buyer I would let her choose which female and male... so she told me she wanted marbles.... but I have no purchased a new marble HM male (from a breeder) and I am currently bidding on a few more...

My first question is... what male?

the female: Merle, HM marble... green, black, blue

I DO have a "matching" male (her brother) but he is a HMPK (similar coloring), but I would prefer to breed HM's first go around since I have a few people interested in HM males
So I have purchased one male on Aquabid and Im bidding for a few more...

The first male is blue/gree/white marble HM (named Smudge), he should be here on the 25th at the latest

Now, the other two Im bidding on are marble HM's... because they are not "MY" fish Im not going to post pictures, but the first one is a dark blue/white HM, parents are marble HM's and ALL have GREAT fins....
the second one is a green/white HM, parents are green marble HMs and the father has great fins, I don't really like the mom's fins though

So who would be a better match: Smudge, a dark blue/white marble HM, or a green/white marble HM?

I have microworms and vinegar eels on the way, but I have yet to find BBS so I wont breed till I have them
LittleBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 12:39 AM   #2 
Bambi

If you win the green and white I'd use him.
But Smudge is also quite nice ;3
Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 12:44 AM   #3 
LittleBettas

Lol, thats what I was thinking... but I did look back on the blue marble and I noticed something.... his dad has orange.... and Merle's mom had orange (the wheels are turning)... lol, I have 3 days left on both auctions so we'll see how it goes, the last fry posted from these parents (both) went fast and high.... fingers crossed...
Old 01-20-2012, 12:52 AM   #4 
Bambi

Oooo...>.> Blue/green and orange marbles sound awesome. xD

Is there no 'buy now' price?
Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 01:25 AM   #5 
LittleBettas

My thought EXACTLY....
Sadly no most of the sellers other bettas have it, just not these marbles
Old 01-20-2012, 03:22 AM   #6 
auomauom

can anyone answer how long does the breeding processes usually take? couple hours? or does it depend?
auomauom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 03:29 AM   #7 
LittleBettas

It depends... though normally a few days.... though sometimes two "lovebirds" just aren't compatible
Old 01-20-2012, 10:18 AM   #8 
tpocicat

I've had spawns that took almost 3 days, then I once had a spawn that only took 1 hr! It really depends on the fish you choose and how compatible they are.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 11:21 AM   #9 
indjo
TFK Moderator

@litlebettas:
I am advising based on show quality than anything else. Though your friend will be your main buyer for this spawn, yet you can easily rehome better quality bettas..... as you can see on AB, the better quality goes pretty fast.

If you only want to produce marbles with no specific patterns, one marble will give you marbled fry. You don't need 2 marbles. Since your female is a marble, thus you don't need a marble male (for future reference). But I guess 2 marbles will give you a higher percentage of marbles.

When bidding on a betta, do not only consider his color. I mean you will be paying a lot for them - with shipping and all, right? So might as well get your moneys worth. Look for the ones whose dorsal (at least) stands up right. Leaning forward is better. If you can see their rays, look for ray branching.
Look for caudals with as many rays as possible (8 rays). This is more important on the female than the male. If you have difficulty spotting the rays, just look for the ones that has a 180* spread with pointed edges.
Look for anals that are as balanced to the caudal (not longer) as possible. Your female (green marble) looks balanced. So she should produce some balanced fry which IMO you should consider for your F2.

This is a simple guide that has helped me produce good enough fry.
Good luck with everything.
@auomauom:
It depends mainly on the female - if she is a first time breeder, then she will need a longer time (often 3 days or so) - not saying a first timer won't spawn within the first 24 hours. Veterans usually only need less than 24 hours to spawn - some will spawn with in the hour.

Hiding places and large tank size can also prolong the process. If you're using a big tank with good hiding places where the male can't follow/can't see through, the female can rest as long as she like and come out when she's ready - the male can't force her to come out. Thus the process may take a week.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 12:01 PM   #10 
LittleBettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by indjo View Post
@litlebettas:
I am advising based on show quality than anything else. Though your friend will be your main buyer for this spawn, yet you can easily rehome better quality bettas..... as you can see on AB, the better quality goes pretty fast.

If you only want to produce marbles with no specific patterns, one marble will give you marbled fry. You don't need 2 marbles. Since your female is a marble, thus you don't need a marble male (for future reference). But I guess 2 marbles will give you a higher percentage of marbles.

When bidding on a betta, do not only consider his color. I mean you will be paying a lot for them - with shipping and all, right? So might as well get your moneys worth. Look for the ones whose dorsal (at least) stands up right. Leaning forward is better. If you can see their rays, look for ray branching.
Look for caudals with as many rays as possible (8 rays). This is more important on the female than the male. If you have difficulty spotting the rays, just look for the ones that has a 180* spread with pointed edges.
Look for anals that are as balanced to the caudal (not longer) as possible. Your female (green marble) looks balanced. So she should produce some balanced fry which IMO you should consider for your F2.

This is a simple guide that has helped me produce good enough fry.
Good luck with everything.
Thank you so much for this information!!! I was looking at the caudal fins with the two I bid on (long caudals are a big petpeeve, lol) I did not know the dorsal... I have been looking for ones that stand straight up (but I'll keep an eye out for leaning forward now)
I read somewhere that fin shape was more from mom than dad.. .and coloring more from dad so thats what I was going on
I was planning to breed back a male with her... I will probably contact you for help on judging

Also... quick question, when breeding, how important should I consider the fins of the parents of the bettas Im breeding?