Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-19-2012, 10:18 PM   #1 
MeredithCollegeGirl2015

Constipated Betta fish?

So, I came home from work today and my roomate alerted me that she 'thought Flounder was dead'. I immediately looked at him and he was floating in the top corner of his tank, but when my roomate moved towards him, he began to swim, but he's swimming sideways. I freaked out and started remembering things I'd read on this site, and constipation came to mind. I asked her if she fed Flounder while I was at work and she said yes, however I had already fed Flounder before class this morning, and sure enough, his belly is super swollen and white.. My poor boy can't swim straight, I'm including pictures, but they're not very good because he thinks it's funny to move away from the camera.. I need thoughts and advice? I've since moved him out of his big tank into his cup he came from petsmart from.
Please help, I'm worried about my little guy!
Attached Images

MeredithCollegeGirl2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 10:32 PM   #2 
Banicks

Hi Meredith,

It is possible that he has been overfed, possibly leading to SBD – swim bladder disorder.

You said he swims sideways, is he having trouble going down and up in the water? Or just hanging around the surface?

First, we should definitely fast him. It isn’t uncommon that a Betta tummy will bloat up after a feeding, even more so if overfed. Quite often nature will take its course if we fast him, and he will just poop it all out over time. Fast for 3 days, if there is no improvement at this time, let us know and we can then continue down the path of constipation treatment depending on SBD question above.

Hope this helps.
Banicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 10:41 PM   #3 
MeredithCollegeGirl2015

Uhm, it kinda looks like he wants to and tries to go down to the bottom but he can't, he like kinda floats back up to the top. Not like a dead float though, like he fights to go back down then gives up if that makes any sense.. I just noticed two white string looking things in the cup, which I was reading could be poop? Lol, so we switched him out of the cup into a half gallon tank cause I didn't want him chilling in his own poop..
Old 01-20-2012, 12:37 AM   #4 
Sakura8

Can you get some epsom salt? You can get it at any drug store or pharmacy, just make sure it's plain old magnesium sulfate with no added colors or scents. Since he's in a half gallon, put him in 1 tsp of epsom salts for a few days. This should help stimulate his system. Fast him as Banicks suggests, too. If he continues to pass the white stringy poo, he might have internal parasites, so keep an eye on his poos. Keep us updated. :)
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 01:01 AM   #5 
Banicks

^

As above. Could be internal parasites, either way epsom salt you shall get (yoda voice).
Banicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 08:12 AM   #6 
MeredithCollegeGirl2015

I woke up this morning and there was a normal poop in his container as well as a mini one too, but no more white strings and he seems to be swimming better.. Should I wait until like Sunday or Monday to feed him?
Old 01-20-2012, 10:00 AM   #7 
Sakura8

Wait for at least one more day for food and put him in epsom salts still if you can.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:39 PM   #8 
MeredithCollegeGirl2015

I just got out of class and I noticed quite a bit of poop in his tank, im including a picture.. is this normal? I also heard that epsom salt is stressful to the fish, so if he is pooping alright, do I still need to put him in there, or can I just fast him until Monday? Thanks for the help ya'll!
Attached Images

Old 01-20-2012, 06:48 PM   #9 
Sakura8

Epsom salt isn't nearly as stressful as aquarium salt is, which is used for different reasons. If he's starting to poop and he no longer looks bloated or has swimming difficulties, then you can skip the epsom salt if you feel more comfortable doing that, and just fast him.
Old 01-21-2012, 12:17 AM   #10 
bluesushi

I feed my betta a bit of pea every week to keep him regular. Basically, I'll take the skin off the pea and cut one tiny peice that is small enough for his mouth. They seem to enjoy the flavor. Personally, I feed him like this once a week.

Last edited by bluesushi; 01-21-2012 at 12:19 AM.
bluesushi is offline   Reply With Quote