Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-20-2012, 11:45 AM   #1 
orphansparrow

tail chomping...

So, for almost a year now, Hoshi has still been chomping away at his tail.

I redecorated his tank a couple days ago, to see if that would help any.

Should I be adding aquarium salt to his water? I used to do that, but stopped because I didn't really notice a change, but his fins are looking so ragged lately, and I notice a little spot that looks like it might be "sore", that's why I thought of the aquarium salt. I don't want his chomping to cause any sort of infection or anything.

What helps your guys not chomp?
orphansparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 02:47 PM   #2 
chrissylee13

well i've heard that bettas mainly do that because they're bored or stressed. can you upload any pictures for us to see? and you're sure he doesn't have any fin rot? the pictures would help with that too.

but i've mostly heard the best way to keep them from doing it is to change their tank around. switch out plants maybe, play with them. i draw on my tanks with dry erase markers and they seem to have fun with that sometimes lol. but to help with fin regrowth i would get API stress coat and make sure the water is warm enough. and water changes. what size is his tank?
chrissylee13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 03:06 PM   #3 
orphansparrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissylee13 View Post
well i've heard that bettas mainly do that because they're bored or stressed. can you upload any pictures for us to see? and you're sure he doesn't have any fin rot? the pictures would help with that too.

but i've mostly heard the best way to keep them from doing it is to change their tank around. switch out plants maybe, play with them. i draw on my tanks with dry erase markers and they seem to have fun with that sometimes lol. but to help with fin regrowth i would get API stress coat and make sure the water is warm enough. and water changes. what size is his tank?
thanks chrissylee -

yeah, i think he's bored. :/ he acts bored. that's why i just redecorated his tank. also, i put pictures up to the glass of his tank, and switch them out pretty regularly.

he's in a 2.5 gallon which i change once a week, plus sometimes a partial change in between if the water doesn't look as sparkly clean as i'd like.

i'm almost positive he doesn't have fin rot, as i keep his water pretty clean.

i use Prime water conditioner/dechlorinator, and my guy has a heater that keeps his tank about 75.

thanks for your help, i'll check out that stress coat. i didn't realize that could help with fin damage.
orphansparrow is offline   Reply With Quote