Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-18-2012, 09:02 AM   #1 
danifacetastic

Betta Bloat Getting Better Since Medicating But Still...

So I'm sure some of you have seen my posts about my fish whose really bloated and lethargic and has been bloated for months. Well for about 2 weeks now I've been medicating. I did Maracyn/Maracyn II for 5 days like it said along with Epsom Salt and daily water changes. Now I'm just doing the epsom salt and water changes. His bloat has gone down but it's still pretty evident that he's bloated but he's pooping regularly again. He also still spends most of his time laying in the plant by the surface of the water. He can swim around a little bit but if he stops swimming he sinks. Also he has this new weird thing...when I come to his tank to give him food he literally attacks it now and jumps almost all the way out of the water to get it and he didn't used to be like that.

Are these signs that he might be getting better? Do you think he'll make a full recovery? My grandma isn't optimistic and says he's getting old and expects him to die any day now.
danifacetastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 09:13 AM   #2 
Sakura8

Can you describe his poops? Do they look normal? If he's bloating but pooping, I usually suspect either internal parasites, a bacterial infection, or a tumor. Since you treated him with the Maracyn combo, that should have helped take care of any bacterial infection so now I'm wondering if it's possibly parasites.

Do you think you can find Jungle Labs Anti-Parasite medicated pellets? Those would be beneficial in treating both internal parasites and any lingering bacterial infection.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 09:36 AM   #3 
ANHEL123

Just want to add something to what Sakura already wrote. You saying that you still adding Epsom salt, how much though? It important to use right dose,because if you just adding a little bit it don't work. You need right dose....
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 10:08 AM   #4 
danifacetastic

His poop is normal and his bloat has decreased by probably 50% but he's not back to where it was. And also I'm adding 1tsp per gallon of epsom salt.
Old 01-18-2012, 10:30 AM   #5 
Sakura8

Try upping it to 2 tsps per gallon for a few days and see if that makes any improvement.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:37 AM   #6 
danifacetastic

Alright thanks! And I'm not sure where to find that anti-parasitic food.
Old 01-18-2012, 12:51 PM   #7 
Sakura8

Petsmart sometimes carries it. Another option is to check a tropical fish store for HealthAid Hikari Metro.
Old 01-18-2012, 04:05 PM   #8 
callistra

Treatment for dropsy is typically suggested as 14 day treatment so 5 days on Maracyns were probably not enough. He probably needed at least 10 day if not the full 14. You can try the antiparasite food.. I would have done a second round of Maracyns and actually extend to 14 days and if at that time he was still showing problems added the anti parasite food.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 04:42 PM   #9 
danifacetastic

Well both the Maracyn packages say to only treat for 5 days? So I should start him on treatment again?
Old 01-18-2012, 04:48 PM   #10 
callistra

If you start on an antibiotic that starts to work but stop before its done it can make treatment more difficult because the bacteria has a chance to build up a sort of immunity. How much varies. It could work just as well continuing another 5-9 days but it could work less well or not at all and require a different antibiotic now. Can't know until you try but if it started to work you probably had the right stuff just needed to give it more time. You could try a different med or you could try try again for up to 9 more days. If at 9 days he is not 100% or after maybe 5 or so if he is still showing any more improvement I would definitely switch meds. Maracyn Plus and Kanaplex (Kanamyacin) also have potential to work here. If using Kanaplex I highly suggest feeding too.

This is the only site I have ever seen suggest such high dosages of epsom salts for prolonged periods. the 2-3 tsp every other place I have ever seen say short dips so if you choose to increase salts for long period please watch him carefully and if he seems stressed cut back. Epsoms salts will not cure him but what it is doing is removing the fluid built up buying more time for the meds to cure the infection.

Last edited by callistra; 01-18-2012 at 04:51 PM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote