Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-20-2012, 05:08 PM   #1 
Dmarie

Started 6 wks ago, tried everything, getting worse- Photos

these are the most recent pics of Snappy taken today, I am at a loss of what else I can try, I have tried absolutely everything, continues to go downhill, has not eaten for almost 4 wks now. Poor little guy.

Last edited by Dmarie; 01-20-2012 at 05:11 PM.
Dmarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 05:21 PM   #2 
Tobythefish

I'm so sorry that I can't help. If you fill out this form the experts can help you. I hope he gets better soon, good luck.

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?
Tobythefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 09:10 AM   #3 
DisneyBettas

this almost looks like what I was going through with my Dale...I changed his water to spring water, got rid of his marbles in his tank, and changed his food...he is doing a MILLION times better. I hope this helps...BTW my avatar is Dale
DisneyBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 12:48 PM   #4 
Dmarie

Thank you Disney Betta. I appreciate your comment regarding my little fish boy Snappy. I knew time was getting short for the little guy when I posted this. I have tried endlessly to help him, including visiting with 3 local "fish" specialty stores & our city aquarium, despartately searching for information or answers to save his life. And of course relentlessly doing internet searches & joining this forum, hoping for some help or encouragement as Snappy continued to get worse. Im a fanatic about keeping his water clean, I had two 3 gallon & one 5 gallon Marineland eclipse tanks, with heater, filter, biowheel, healthy live plants, Indian almond leaves, & oxygenator air stone & of course water conditioner stabilizer Tetra. I hand fed him daily, 1 betta bite at a time to avoid food falling, he would only eat betta bites, I tried blood worms, no, freeze dried brine shrimp, no & 4 other types of betta food bites, also no. So I feed him what he would eat, betta bites. He started to get sick early December, he stopped eating shortly before Christmas, I tried everyday to get him to eat even 1 bite. No. The last 4 weeks he just stayed on top of water in a corner. I put him back in his favorite 3 gallon tank since I didnt want him to pass away in the hosptial tank I knew he wasnt happy in. Sadly my little blue boy passed away Saturday morning. I wish I could have done something to save him, I literally tried everything, I wasnt going to give up if he didnt.
Finally in the end though, he did give up. Im so sad that happened. I am not certain what was wrong but feel it must have been something incurable, Im worried it was TB, possibly cancer? I just dont know. I dont think I will ever get another fish, trying to get answers & help was almost more than I could stand. I could not believe the amount of misinformation & indifference in advice between pet stores, aquariums, internet & forums. I havent seen anything like it before. I know each case is different but to get completely different information from each source I reached out to was exhausting. When my Moki (maltese dog) was diagnosed with diabetes, the forum I found was priceless. The information for the most part was consistant & helpful. So helpful that it gave us two additional love filled years with our sweet little boy. Moki passed away in April 2009 at the age of 14 1/2, my heart is still broken. I write this to possibly help others here on this forum be a little more understanding during emergency situations & thank those who reached out to help me help my little fish. I wish the best to all of you & your little fish kids
Dmarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 01:16 PM   #5 
SnowySurface

I'm sorry for your loss. :(
SnowySurface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 01:43 PM   #6 
wallywestisthebest333

I'm sorry for your loss. A cause of misinformation via multiple sources is unless you live with the fish in question it's very hard to diagnose any ailments. Also there's a lot of diseases that fish can get that still haven't been properly researched. On top of all that there are a lot of diseases with very similar symptoms. It makes it hard to give advice. I hope that the next betta fish you get lives longer. Like you said the boy you had may have contracted something incurable.
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote