Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-20-2012, 05:51 PM   #1 
BlueShark

Wild man (errr, fish!)

Thanks to weeks of lurking and learning, I got a new tank set up and finally got our first betta yesterday. My kids named him Shark. He is blue with tealish fins (which somehow look greenish in photos). His cup said half-moon but he seems more of a delta although I haven't seen him fully flared and I'm a noob so I could be wrong. He wasn't my favorite in terms of looks but he seemed more energetic than the others so we brought him home. For those who like the technical details, I got petco.com's 6.6 gal bookshelf aquarium with filter & adjustable heater and keep him on a small shelf in our kitchen. He is the only fish although I might take the step into live plants & ghost shrimp in the future based on all I have read. I am doing a fish-in cycling based on OldFishLady's advice of water changes in a post I read. So now the fun stuff...he is CRAZY! I don't think there's anything wrong with him because he has his calm moments but he seems very energetic & swims around everywhere but the weirdest thing is his preference for the current near the filter. I feared it would be too strong and I baffled it a little just so I can feed him more easily and there would be more quiet areas of the tank but he loves to go over there and get pushed around sometimes. He just pulls his fins tighter and swims into the current. I guess he's just happy to get out of his little cup with the nasty blue water at Petsmart. Anyway, I just wanted to say hello and thank everyone because I have learned so much from reading everyone's posts over the last month or so.
BlueShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 09:17 PM   #2 
Shirleythebetta

Thats great, he's very nice looking. I came home with a chocolate brown half moon today. He looks like a half moon. Heres a good page that may help you figure out what you think he is. I use this a lot.

http://watershed3.tripod.com/types.html
Shirleythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 11:47 PM   #3 
BellasMomma

he is a cutie!! Isn't it surprising how energetic they actually are. When I got my Violet I thought she was spazzing out.... Its amazing what a bigger tank and nice warm clean water will do for them. Sounds like he got picked up by a good family. I bet he is on cloud 9!
BellasMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 12:03 AM   #4 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Awh he's adorable :D
I like his colours, he has like, a regal appearance to him, like some fancy guy. Even though he sounds like a nut case xD
Olympia is online now   Reply With Quote