Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-20-2012, 10:56 PM   #1 
LittleBettas

SMALL boy with SBD and?????

So, long story short...
I did it again... I got "that guy"... the one who is obviously on deaths door that broke my heart... this time though, both myself and my boyfriend don't tihnk this little guy is going to make it

A little over a week ago (on my Bday) my sister bought me Gotham... my gorgeous Black Orchid/Black Copper CT Walmart boy.... while there I saw a little red CT... I thought he was dead so I didn't really look (I'll admit I was enthralled by a BLACK betta at WALMART)

Well....
After a trip to petsmart to pick up my new 10 gallon and another live plant.... and to look at bettas (one who I WANT)... I decided to come back and get him (he was a blue and purple dragon scaled DTHM... SO PRETTY) after we went to Walmart...
Well... I ended up with this little guy instead...
I was in a hurry to get him home (almost a TWO hour drive) so all I had time to do was demand that he be priced as a female (which they were happy to comply to).. hes actually a red CT.... who reminds me of my first rescue... Hercules

I have him floating in my sorority (warmest tank, its 83 the rest are 78-81... and he needs every degree)... hes not much bigger than my smallest girl (minus his poor fins)... the heat seems to be helping and I did get to see him swim a bit (a serious struggle)
Im starting him on espom salt (2 tsps/gallon since he is THAT bad)
My BF has been calling him Knock-knock... guess who... who?.... Death (or just Knoch-knock) Im not sure if Im going to keep that name... but I think it may be already stuck :-/

I'll get updated pictured of him in the morning so hopefully hes felling better... FINGERS CROSSED

He doesn't have popeye (I checked) in the pics his eyes look HUGE... he's actually trying to look at me without having to move... which is making it more obvious how skinny he is

And my BF say's: Knock-Knock says: Knock knock!

His spine has a slight bend when he trys to move:

And this picture is actually crystal clear... he has a bunch of... JUNK... floating in his cup

Anyone else have any recommindations on what else I can do for him?
LittleBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 11:20 PM   #2 
Silverfang

it looks like he hasn't been fed in a month... The poor boy!

I'm sorry I don't have any real advice, other than small meals several times a day. I think good nutrition will really give him a better shot.

Hope you get him feeling better
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 11:30 PM   #3 
LittleBettas

He's not enjoying switching the water to much, Im taking it as slow as possible using an eye dropper thing (never been used) and taking a bit out, adding clean medicated water....
He'll have his first meal probably around 7:30am...that way he is not as stressed out.... hopefully he eats... should I give him frozen blood worms or a bit of crushed pellets to start?
I don't want to be to rough on his tummy
Old 01-20-2012, 11:42 PM   #4 
mardi

Poor little one!

My heart is breaking so badly right now, I'll be sending every healing vibe I have in me his way tonight. I don't have much advice to give you; other than I think you're doing wonders for him already, by giving him warm water with epsom. From experience, I fed my most recent rescue NLS pellets for his first meal, but that's all I had on hand, and he wasn't nearly as emaciated as yours. I do agree though, that food would be extremely beneficial for him; whatever you decide to feed, I'd take it slow, for sure, because goodness only knows when his last meal was.

Please keep updating on him!

Last edited by mardi; 01-20-2012 at 11:46 PM.
mardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 12:47 AM   #5 
callistra

Err.. I hope that s shape bend clears up once he gets some food in him and becomes acclimated to cleaner water because only time I've ever seen that s shape is with fish tb.. Not saying it's that. I *think* it can be a sign of malnourishment. But keep an eye on the curve.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 01:39 AM   #6 
LittleBettas

I will don't worry on that, Im probably going to stay up all night to monitor him and to slowly keep changing his water...
I just went to check on him and he was actually perky, I caught him eyeing at Dragon lol

Just sneaked in to get some pictures and GUESS WHO I caught resting!!!!

Yup... the little boy!

I have now set up a fake plant inside now so he can rest on leaves and still be close to the surface of the water

But I DO have a concern... does the shape of his head look off... or it just because he is so thin?

Old 01-21-2012, 01:41 AM   #7 
LittleBettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistra View Post
Err.. I hope that s shape bend clears up once he gets some food in him and becomes acclimated to cleaner water because only time I've ever seen that s shape is with fish tb.. Not saying it's that. I *think* it can be a sign of malnourishment. But keep an eye on the curve.

It is also a sign of malnourishment, Sammy, one of my other rescues had the same thing when I first brough him home, I am being careful though to not cross contaminate anything.... and actually since he has been in the warmer water he no longer does that... Im keeping an eye on him though just in case... fingers crossed!