Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-20-2012, 11:26 PM   #1 
Carina

Betta has Dropsy/Fin rot?

My betta definitely has fin rot, but I also notice his scales sticking up a bit. :( Does this always mean they have Dropsy? He's still very active and eating normally. I just started his fin rot treatment today, but I'm worried that he may have Dropsy because of his scales being slightly raised. Any advice is appreciated.
Carina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 12:08 AM   #2 
callistra

Yes, this is always dropsy. I'm sorry. What are you treating with right now? You may likely need to switch meds as only a few meds work on dropsy. Also what does his poop look like and how often does he go? Also this type of disease process is usually caused by non ideal water. Please fill this out:

Quote:
Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 01:44 AM   #3 
Carina

Housing
What size is your tank?
Gallon sized bowl.

What temperature is your tank?
Not sure of the exact temperature, but I try to make it between 78-82. Should I get a themometer?

Does your tank have a filter?
No. It's a bowl.

Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
No.

Is your tank heated?
No.

What tank mates does your betta fish live with?
None.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
TetraMin.

How often do you feed your betta fish?
Once a day.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
About every 3 days.

What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
100%

What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?
Only water conditioner.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
No.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

I have no idea about any of this. I'm a new betta owner, he's basically my first betta... do I need this?

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
Some of his scales have fallen off, they're slightly raised, and his fins are rotting a bit.

How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
Not at all. He's active and eating normally.

When did you start noticing the symptoms?
About a day ago.

Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Yes. I give him Tetracycline. Just started the treatment today though.

Does your fish have any history of being ill?
No.

How old is your fish (approximately)?
Approx. a year maybe?

Thank you for helping me regardless. I'm new at owning any type of fish... His poop is always round, and it's usually an orange-ish or brown-ish color. Sometimes it's bigger than his food granules, though.
Old 01-21-2012, 11:27 AM   #4 
callistra

The tetracycline may help the fin rot but it will not likely do anything to fix the dropsy.

When you clean the water do you rinse the gravel too? This is important.

You really need a thermometer. One of those cheap glass submersible thermometers with the suction cups are perfect.

Also temperature swings are bad for bettas, and they need to be kept in 76-82 degree constant environments and ideally 78-79. Any lower and it compromises their immune system making them more prone to illness and temperature swings (causing by things like setting the house lower at night or trying to use pads or a light to keep the bowl clean) can be very hard of them as well.

100% water change every 2-3 days in 1 gallon should be okay (definitely no more than that), although your guy will always live with small amounts of ammonia which will weaken his immune system over time. For now while he is sick I would do 100% daily or at least 50% and 100% alternated every other day. It's also very very hard to heat a 1 gallon well. If you can afford it I suggest investing in a 2.5+ system. 5 gallons would be even easier to maintain but 2.5 is pretty minimal to set up a good long-term environment. You should also invest in a good adjustable heater. For a 2.5g a 25w Marineland Visitherm is what I have experience with. 50w for the 5g works well. They run about $20. Just be aware that heaters rarely run exactly what you set them at so the thermometer will be important here. When acclimating your boy to the warmer water, put the thermometer in first. See what the actual temp is and set the heater a few degrees below what the tank temp says. Then slowly click it up one degree until it comes on. This tells you the difference between what the actual temp is and what the heater reads. Then slowly add a degree or two every hour or so until he is finally up at the 78-79 range stable. This should help him adjust slowly without shocking him.

As for actual treatment.. you are going to need epsom salts.. pure 100% no additives. I use 1/2 tsp per gallon but a lot of people here suggest more so if you'd like to start out with more like 1 tsp seems like that would be okay. Dissolve it fully in some treated aquarium water before adding it to the bowl.

You are also going to need a different antibiotic. Kanaplex (Kanamyacin by Seachem) along with Focus by Seachem would be what I'd try to find first...use yellowpages.com and search for aquariums. You can feed and bathe in this using either treated aquarium water to soak pellets along with the meds (I'll teach you how if you can find the meds) or garlic guard also by seachem (pure garlic juice extract). If you cannot try Maracyns in combo (or at least Maracyn 2) or possibly Maracyn Plus. Do 100% change to remove tetracycline before changing up the meds. Also make sure you are dosing for whatever container he is in (1 gallon now or larger if you choose to do so) because packet dosages are usually based on 5-10 gallon containers.
Old 01-21-2012, 01:11 PM   #5 
dormfish

Thumbs up

Callistra knows her stuff . I can't think of anything better.
I'll just add that Melafix is great for healing fins. Of course, the dropsy is the first priority here.

Keep us updated. I hope your little guy gets better soon!
dormfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 01:11 PM   #6 
Carina

Thank you for the info. :) I will try to find those meds and I'll definitely pick up a thermometer for him.
Old 01-21-2012, 03:08 PM   #7 
Carina

I couldn't find the exact meds you listed, but the guy at the Aquarium store told me that Melafix should help him, and also they had Maracyn, but they had Maracyn-TC. Will this work for him?
Old 01-22-2012, 04:41 AM   #8 
callistra

I'm sorry none of those will likely work. Have you tried calling 'aquarium' searched stores in the yellowpages.com? If so I suggest making a rush order of some meds through Amazon.com or http://www.drsfostersmith.com.

Maracyn tc is tetracycline. Maracyn is Erythromyacin. The Maracyn 2 is Minocyline and that will go internal. Maracyn 2 at least or Maracyns in combo is what might work for this from this line. Maracyn plus is two or three ingredients I can't remember off the top of my head but I have heard of it working for dropsy, though I have very little experience with it personally.

Don't want to scare you but once you notice the pineconing you have a very limited window for which to treat him. Dropsy often is lethal within days, so it's really important you treat asap to maximum chance for a full recovery.

Last edited by callistra; 01-22-2012 at 04:45 AM.
Old 01-22-2012, 12:50 PM   #9 
Carina

Oh good. I found Maracyn 2 at Petsmart actually. I didn't think they'd have much in terms of fish. I'll go get it ASAP and treat him today. He still seems very active and is eating, so... hopefully I can save him. :( Should I JUST give him the Maracyn 2 and the aquarium salt?
Old 01-22-2012, 01:11 PM   #10 
callistra

No aquarium salts for dropsy. Use epsom salts. I guess 1/2 to 1 tsp per gallon. Just make sure you predissolve in some treated water before adding. Also I believe Maracyn 2 package is for 10 gallons so you are going to have to break it down for the 1 gallon he's in or for whatever else you may move him to.

I believe it says use 2 packets per 10 gallon on day 2 and 1 packet additional day? I saw in your pm he is in 2 gallons now? You will treat double dose back to back for a minimum of 10 days, but you could treat up to 14 if he is showing signs of improvement but is not 100%. You should be changing the water 100% every other day. Highly suggest using aged water. Take 10 tablespoons treated aquarium water and dissolve the packet. For the first dose you put 4 of the tablespoons in the 2 gallon bowl to treat. Each subsequent day you mix this up fresh (cannot save it and reuse) and put 2 tablespoon of the mixture.

Last edited by callistra; 01-22-2012 at 01:13 PM.