Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-22-2012, 02:21 PM   #11 
Carina

Ah Ok. Right now he's in completely new water, but it wasn't aged long enough (some of it wasn't) so I had to use some water conditioner. I'll have to change his water again today to get the other medicine out and the aquarium salt out... I don't currently have old enough water to use (I will tomorrow though). Could I possibly buy some bottles of room temperature drinking water to use?

Poor little guy. :( I feel so bad for him. Everything happened really fast. It was like one day he looked completely fine and then the next day he suddenly barely had any fins! It's odd too because from many angles his scales don't seem raised. When you look from the top they look VERY slightly raised. Maybe I can still save him. :(
Carina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 02:25 PM   #12 
callistra

Always use conditioner. The aging doesn't replace your water conditioner and water conditioner doesn't replace the aging process as each deal with some things the other won't (although there is some overlap).

If he's still active and only slightly pine coned you probably still have time. It's a guess at this point but there is hope :)
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 02:29 PM   #13 
Carina

OMG, I just found a Marine Depot near here which probably has all of what you listed. Thank goodness. T_T Okay, so I should be looking for Maracyn 2 (or Two?), epsom salts... they have Focus by Seachem, should I purchase that instead of the garlic guard, or both?
Old 01-23-2012, 01:15 AM   #14 
Carina

Here's a picture of how he looks... He literally looked fine one day and then the next day started losing his fins, and as I've been trying to figure out what to do the past day or so (changing his tank out, trying medicines, etc.) he looks like this now. I just started treating him with Maracyn 2 today along with epsom salt and the food you recommended me with the garlic guard, but he doesn't seem to like the food. :( He'll only eat his old food which is TetraMin Tropical Granules.

Also, right next to his fin is where the wound is which you can't really see. You have to look from kind of behind him... but it's a beige spot that has no scales left on it, and as you can see part of his fin is missing. He still uses it sometimes though and is active, but often I'll see him swimming with only his left fin. :(

As you can see though he looks really bad. I'm worried he's in constant agonizing pain by how he looks, despite how active he seems to be. Do you think it's possible to save him at this point?

Old 01-23-2012, 01:26 AM   #15 
Karebear13

Sorry I am new to this forum and I dont know how to publish things but I was wondering if this is fin rot on my betta

http://s3.amazonaws.com/data.tumblr....5Dkz58W7kl8%3D
Karebear13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 01:28 AM   #16 
Karebear13

Also sorry about your fish. these things happen so rapidly. Mine was completely fine just like yours was and then the next day his fins were protruding and he was huge sadly he didn't make it the next day. It all happened so fast. But you never know Miracles happen.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:26 AM   #17 
dormfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karebear13 View Post
Sorry I am new to this forum and I dont know how to publish things but I was wondering if this is fin rot on my betta

http://s3.amazonaws.com/data.tumblr....5Dkz58W7kl8%3D
OHSOPRETTY!! I'd say he looks healthy as a horse!! And welcome to the forums!
dormfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 02:17 PM   #18 
Karebear13

so the black tips on his fins should be nothing to worry about?
Old 01-23-2012, 05:08 PM   #19 
callistra

Your betta has to have been ailing for quite some time to look like that.. zero fins.. Really overnight? Due to the fast progression it may be hard to treat, but since he is still active this is a good sign.

Go ahead and treat with epsoms and Maracyn-2. Make sure to dilute the meds as stated before and fully dissolve the salts before adding.

He won't take garlic and medicine soaked pellets? That's a first, but some can be picky. Minocyline goes internal so hopefully it will do the job along with the epsoms.

ETA: Make sure to do frequent water changes during this. Maybe try one 50% followed by one 100% the second day, alternating like this.

Last edited by callistra; 01-23-2012 at 05:13 PM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 06:10 PM   #20 
Carina

I had him sitting next to my computer so I literally saw him everyday and this happened quickly. His fins were fairly short to begin with so I didn't notice until I was changing his water in the bathroom where there's very bright lighting (my room is usually dimly lit so in his old bowl that had no light I couldn't notice his color/short fins very easily). I cleaned his bowl every 3-4 days though and really did not notice anything wrong especially with him being active and eating, and his color seemed fine up until the day I posted on this forum. That's when he started losing his color and I noticed his fins were getting shorter, which is why I said it seemed to happen overnight.

I've never had a fish that has gotten fin rot before and I thought I was OK with the water changes every 3rd or 4th day. I really can't think of how I missed it, because I didn't neglect him. :( Sorry if it seems like I'm being defensive but I am really upset it progressed this far and I didn't notice until a few days ago. I'm doing my best to treat him...

It's strange though because that side of him in the picture is the mostly discolored and beat up part of his body. His right side has way more of his bluer color left and is smoother. I am noticing some white tips on his bottom fins right now and I've heard that's a sign of re-growth, I don't think I see any white tips on the back and upper fins yet though.

Anyway, yeah, I just want to clarify that if I had noticed earlier I definitely would've gotten right on treatment. His fins weren't very big in the first place, and he didn't starting losing his color until later, which is what alerted me that something was wrong with him, and it was then I noticed that his fins were a bit shorter. They also did get even shorter while I was discussing treatments in this forum... when I would transfer him into his temporary bowl when I do water changes I could see tiny pieces of his fins floating in his temporary bowl, so it was happening very fast.