Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-21-2012, 12:35 AM   #1 
yayagirl1209

blown/torn dorsal fin

Came home from work tonight to find my double tail had either torn or really blown his dorsal fin. I'm so sad his finnage has ripped...but always knew in the back of my mind that such massive finnage was more likely to blow or rip. I'm really hoping the new IAL that I dropped in his tank yesterday didn't do the damage. :( I'd feel really guilty if it did.

I know it's really important to keep the water warm and clean while he's healing. My tank finally finished cycling this week after about a month. I'm concerned too frequent/too high percentage water changes will crash the already delicate cycle in my tank. I'd like to know what you guys think. How often should I perform WC and what percent? Do you think it would be better to leave him in his own tank with his IAL or put him in QT with AQ salt? I don't currently have a QT tank so I wouldn't be able to pick one up until Monday (working noon to midnight Saturday and Sunday, UGH!)

I know it's not truly an emergency, per se. But I'm a worried betta mommy. Your opinions would be greatly appreciated.

yayagirl1209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 07:25 PM   #2 
Pataflafla

Clean water and a high protein diet should be all you need.

For now, keep on your regular water change schedule and see how he heals with it. You might want to do an extra 25% at most weekly, but you shouldn't need aq salt unless rot appears.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 02:03 AM   #3 
yayagirl1209

Thanks for the advice. Did an extra 25% water change Saturday night just to start off on the right foot. He's not a big fan of the Omega One betta flakes but they have more protein than the Hikari BioGold pellets I usually feed him. So maybe I'll offer those for a few days while he's healing up.

I did come home to find another small tear in his dorsal fin. I'm really thinking it is the IAL. I might just nix the actual leaf and steep it in some water for "blackwater" extract. I just hope that it doesn't affect the IAL's antibacterial and antifungal properties. That's part of the reason I bought them. Sad because I really like the look of the leaf in the tank. Unless anyone has any idea how I can deter fin tearing with the leaf in the tank?!?!
yayagirl1209 is offline   Reply With Quote