Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-21-2012, 04:29 AM   #1 
LittleBettas

When a betta gets old....

One of my first rescues, Flagg, is starting to get up there in age... I have NO clue how old he is, but from his size and coloring, I figure he is probably close to three (he was in one of the "nicer" walmart set ups one of the local walmarts tried... 1.5 gallons.... they did clean the water, but he had fin rot and SBD)

Flagg has always had "extra long" fins... to the point he would chew off chunks so he could swim to get air... as he's gotten older, he has stopped doing it so much... and would just sit on the bottom or on one of his plants... swimming just when he needed air or to move to grab some food.... so... I downgraded him, from a 3 gallon to a 1.5 gallon.... that has plants VERY stragetically placed.... he is able to swim from one leaf to another easier, he is now blowing bubbles again (he has a very nice nest ) though he is now on a diet since he does not get as much excersize (he was getting 1 pellet in the morning, 2 at night since he was kinda chunky, now he's down to one in the morning, one at night) He seems happier with this setup, he no longer tailbites, his fins are growing back, and he is able to move around the little tank with ease

sitting by his nest (he's usually more snug on the leaf, he looked up before I could get a picture)

Looking to say hi

Moved to another leaf to get a closer look (I snuck the camera up on him )

So... what do you do for your old men?
LittleBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 11:36 AM   #2 
4alwaysAbettaluver

When my sisters betta got SUPER old, I put him in a smaller bowl without a filtration system and heater and he started blowin bubbles like crazy! He lived for 2 more years.
4alwaysAbettaluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 12:53 PM   #3 
bettasusa

LittleBettas, He is a really nice betta. I myself found one at a local shop that I couldn't resist. He was kept in a 2.5 that was split into 3 with another betta on each side of him which he didn't like very much, so I gave him a 2.5 all to himself with natural plants for a while and then figured I'd try to spawn him with a lady. He was then put into a tub that was dark blue so that he couldn't see his reflection with a diameter of 51" and a depth of 6". All his plants and foam cup placed into this as well as I noticed he was always in the corners of the glass tank or trying like Flagg to rest on floating plants near the surface so I figured depth was a problem and not area of the tank as after he was in the pond like tub he was all over the place! I introduced the female after a week of good feeding and they made a nice spawn which is growing up nicely. I'm sorry to say though that I lost him shortly after. He was a big betta but I doubt he was giant so he had to be an older guy. Im glad tho that he gave some children. Picture is attached.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
bettasusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 01:31 PM   #4 
Rjb5584

I love old bettas. I don't know why, but for some reason they seem so much more cute. =)
Rjb5584 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 05:06 PM   #5 
LittleBettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjb5584 View Post
I love old bettas. I don't know why, but for some reason they seem so much more cute. =)

I totally agree hes a grumpy old man and refuses to cooperate with me (why I didnt get any pictures of him flaring, lol), but I loves him anyway
LittleBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 05:49 PM   #6 
Zappity

Aw :) My oldest boy lived to be 5.5years before he died! He was just as happy as ever, though :) Always jumping out of his bowl to say hello. (he was my first one too)
Zappity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 07:56 PM   #7 
betta lover1507

what a pretty boy , lunar was like that.... but i don't think because he was really old :\ he spawned... then he ate the eggs >.>" he must've just been lazy boy, but big finnage hopfully he will be more happy and live more
betta lover1507 is offline   Reply With Quote