Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-29-2012, 10:50 AM   #1 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Smile 15gal Sorority.

Well, originally I was planning on moving Gilbert to a 10gal with some tankmates, but now that I got a lovely little girl, I want to try a sorority instead. Still doing research on sororities ^-^

If I got 5 girls, and wanted to add a 6th one later, would I have to rearrange everything or would the sorority take her in?

Does anyone know of any good 15gal tanks? There's none on the petsmart site.

If I got a 15gal sorority (cycled) with 5-6 girls, would I be able to put in some cory cats with them? Or would it be too much?

Also, this site has been down all day for me, did anyone else have this problem?
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 11:59 AM   #2 
Badjer

Just wanted to comment and say that yes, the site was down for me all day as well. Tropicalfishkeeping was too.
Badjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 12:16 PM   #3 
Pitluvs

I personally would put 5-6 girls in a 15g tank with a proper group of dwarf cories :) I would also put 10+ female Bettas in a 15g tank if I had the money for them lol
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 12:21 PM   #4 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Well, I do want some variety, so small cories it shall be :D
If I find a 15gallon tank -_-
Old 01-29-2012, 01:14 PM   #5 
Bombalurina

Normally, re-arranging everything would be recommended, but when I added my 7th girl to my sorority (later became 6, after my baby Thetis died :(), I didn't re-arrange a thing and there were no dramas at all. This being said, the new addition was a quarter of the size of the other girls, and I think they mistook her for a tetra. My tank was also densely planted in the extreme, so she spent her first week in hiding, and I have never had any problems with aggression amongst my girls. I've only seen three instances of them so much as flaring in the nearly 6 months the sorority has been going. :)
If you do add another girl later, it will be up to your experience and how well you know your girls, and how much you feel you can trust them. :) I wasn't about to uproot all my live plants and try replanting them, since it was 11 at night and I had about 20 plants in there, but I knew I could get away with it. When the time comes, you'll know too. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 01:54 PM   #6 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Hopefully I end up with gentle girls then!
On a side note, at the LFS I saw these poor 3 TINY betta girls in a tank with blue, gold and dwarf gourami. Basically no cover. Felt so bad for them. If they or any other girls are still there after my 10/15gal cycles, I'll probably get them all. xD

How long would it take to cycle the tank? I thought I'd be able to cycle and set up a lovely tank before my parents get back from vacation, but it looks like it takes way longer than I thought. I plan on using the fishless method with 1 or 2 dead shrimp in pantyhose.
Old 01-29-2012, 04:09 PM   #7 
Bombalurina

If you can get pure ammonia, that's more reliable and less smelly, but dead shrimp would work too. It generally takes about 6 weeks.

^^That is how I ended up with my sorority! Ten girls stuck in a bare tank with an elephant nose and heaps of water movement. I could only take home 6, but when I saw Circe in a one litre (0.25 gallon) tank with 5 other girls, one of which was dying, she had to come home too. I think it's good, as long as you make your displeasure known. Many people won't buy females because of how they look in shops, but when you get them home, they turn into such jewels with brilliant personalities.
So, get those girls! :p I would actually do a fish-in cycle and just get them now, because being in a cycling tank is better than being in a coverless tank full of gouramis, especially with a knowleagable owner like you who would do what was necessary to keep the water clean enough. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 11:48 AM   #8 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Alright thanks! I am getting so excited! Hopefully right this Saturday!
I got a ton of money for my birthday so I can just buy everything right away instead of working on it slowly. I want to do a planted tank. But I am a little confused because of all this ammonia mumbo jumbo. To have enough plants for the sorority I'd need to put in a ton of them right away. But isn't it bad to put in a bunch of plants at once? Won't it like, kill them or something? I'd love to finally have some rooted plants!

So the substrate I picked is this.. Is there any better options?
2 inches of this:
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...3891&lmdn=Type
+ 1 inch of this:
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...3227&lmdn=Type

I'd be able to monitor all the ammonia/nitrite/nitrate daily. If I can't add in 6 girls and a bunch of live plants right away, what should I do?
Old 01-30-2012, 12:53 PM   #9 
scootshoot

Petco was having a sale on 15 longs with fluorescent hood, 50watt heater and filter for 39 bucks, they normally go for 80. Not sure if it's ended already or perhaps the sale goes on until the end of this month in which case you have one more day.

Call your local petco up. If you missed the sale by a day or so, ask to speak to the manager and maybe he will set you up anyway.

Here is my 15 long, 6 females in here, all getting along great. Tank is a week old. I actually sold my 14 gallon square shaped one from last year for 50 bucks on craigslist and got the long instead. More surface swim room for bettas and the shallow tank helps them out as they don't have to swim far for air.
Name:  003.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  55.2 KB
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 12:56 PM   #10 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Thanks for the advice, it sounds like a great deal, unfortunately there are no petcos where I live..

Tags
cory cats, sorority