Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-22-2012, 10:06 AM   #21 
Sena Hansler

Most minnows I know of are cold water, and although they can survive warmer temperatures it is suggested to keep them in their own tank, without bettas

However, I have only ever kept one betta with danios (leopard danios), and I made sure he had hidey holes and there were plants. They did get along, which was nice. Although, he was raised with fish on purpose (by me) and he'd always been gentle. Only time he was rough was when he had to headbutt them out of the way for food - that's the problem with fast fish...they eat first, and they eat everything

I agree with everyone about cories. Cories are not aggressive to bettas (from what I've found), and if you supply enough cover and hidey holes, bettas will not bother them
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 12:22 PM   #22 
kfryman

The second pic of cories are the peppered ones. I think I am gonna get those in my sorority that only has shrimp at the moment. I am pretty sure I have seen them at Petco. My petsmart has more types of fish though.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 12:37 PM   #23 
Pitluvs

Everyone has given you great advice :)

Danios are very hyper and territorial fish. They are GREAT for beginners, but in suitable habitat only. Danios need 5+ in a tank, to lower the aggression. I personally believe they should be labeled as semi-aggressive fish at a pet store. They are top dwellers which means they may get quite upset if a Betta is in their territory. My Danios get so upset when my Gourami goes to the top of the tank in my 29g, but they don't bully him because he's so big.

What size tank are you looking to add fish friends to for your Betta? It's usually recommended not to add fish friends in a tank under 10g. A smaller tank could have shrimp or a nirite snail though. As for larger tanks, the cory fish are a great addition in appropriate numbers. Some types grow to be larger than others so if you ever plan those, make sure you know what type you're getting. Cory is a great fish because it's a bottom dweller and will stay out of the Bettas territory. They are also funny creatures lol

As for mid dwellers? Rasboras (Harlequin), some Platy, mild Tetras (black neon, glowlight) would be a good addition. Be sure to note they need larger 5+ groups as well :)
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 01:53 AM   #24 
RedFynn21

Thank you everyone for your awesome feedback! I am currently saving up for a ten gallon tank. I'm definately thinking a cory with my other male betta-- as he is a little more docile than Fynn. I'm thinking he'd be good with a cory. If I get the ten gallon, I will probably just stick the betta with only one cory...just to be on the safe sife. I am new to community fish tank keeping. I am bummed out, as my folks won't let me get anything larger than 10 gallons, but I'm happy to know there are some great choices. Thanks everyone!

Last edited by RedFynn21; 01-24-2012 at 01:59 AM.
RedFynn21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 03:07 AM   #25 
scrap

4 Corys minimum. 6 if you can find pygmies. Corycats are schooling fish. 4 Corys and a betta is also the limit for a 10 gal, unfortunately.
scrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 10:01 AM   #26 
Sena Hansler

Agreed. Just add lots of cover and hidey holes and 4 cories can safely be with a betta :) avoid sharp anything, or hard edges becasue cories are skittish little critters.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 12:22 PM   #27 
kfryman

Oh get sand as a substrate because cories can damage their barbels really easy on gravel.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 07:45 PM   #28 
Amphibianite

Hey Fynn what part of Oregon are you in? I am Central Oregon out near Bend and Redmond.
Amphibianite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 09:06 PM   #29 
Creat

White cloud minnows are indeed coldwater however their knockoff versions the 24kt white clouds I have kept in warmer waters and they seem to thrive those could be kept with a betta. I also recommend like stated Cory cats, and like pitluvs said harlequin rasboras. Those things are sturdy little guys :)
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 04:17 PM   #30 
Saphirra

Hi. Temperament wise a Betta and White Clouds are compatible but temperature wise, they are not. The White Clouds are subtropical and prefer water in the cooler range. I found this out after I got mine so guess who will be setting up another tank? I have the 24k gold variety and they are amazing, peaceful and fun to watch little fish. Kudos to you for doing your research. I made an impulse buy. :(
Saphirra is offline   Reply With Quote