Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-03-2013, 01:22 AM   #41 
Skyewillow

I paid $20 for my EE, and he's also HMPK, he gets around better than all of my other males. Some may just be faster swimmers than others.
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:11 PM   #42 
LillieCharlotte

So I went to the petco in the "nice" part of town and OH MY GOSHHHHH. They had more fish equipment than i've ever seen, and they had the most BEAUTIFUL royal blue and white elephant ear betta for $19 if i had seen him a few hours prior i might have bought him, but my car ended up sucking several hundred out of my bank account today -.-
LillieCharlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:38 PM   #43 
Roemgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
^^I totally thought the same thing when I first saw them. That said, they'll prolly be more suited to smaller (2-5gal) tanks, would they not?
I know this is a while later but I have 2 EE females and they both swim just fine :)
Roemgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:48 PM   #44 
Roemgie

Also I would like to say if you want a good choice of bettas go on aquabid.com :) it's wonderful and you'll defiantly get a good amount of choices :D
Old 04-24-2013, 10:07 PM   #45 
Rosewynn

My EE (in avatar) Gus is from PetCo and cost $20 and lives in a 3 gallon KK same as my VT. He swims just as fast as my VT. The only thing I have had to do to accommodate him versus my VT is make sure there aren't as many plant leaves on the surface of his tank. It's harder for him to get out of a tight spot and to 'reverse' or power forward if you will. When he does it he kind of looks like he might be struggling a bit so now he just has one large plant that reaches the top of his tank and about 50-75% of nothing on the surface of his tank and some medium and small plants.

He can and does swim up a storm now! His favorite thing is to sprint in and out of his floating betta log. He also has a betta hammock I bought when I first got him because I was worried he would need a resting spot near the top especially because he was an EE. He never even bothers with it lol. The only time he stops is when he's sleeping and he wedges himself face down by his heater. I suspect this is because I notice when he stops swimming all his finnage (I think he's a half-moon or a rose tail, not sure) causes his rear to naturally start to rise so he's butt up in the water.

I was hesitant to get a 'special needs' fish as EEs are sometimes portrayed but I couldn't resist owning another lavender fish and with lipstick to boot! While the price will probably stop me from owning another unless I am drawn in again I don't regret him for a second.

His brothers (all the EEs there are purple) are STILL in the store and while our PetCo specializes in fish and keeps them clean I feel like they might die soon of boredom or something. I wish they'd make them go on sale or something because then they'd have a greater chance of being bought. They're beauties but $20 for a betta fish is too much for most casual fish owners I feel.
Rosewynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:25 PM   #46 
Roemgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosewynn View Post
My EE (in avatar) Gus is from PetCo and cost $20 and lives in a 3 gallon KK same as my VT. He swims just as fast as my VT. The only thing I have had to do to accommodate him versus my VT is make sure there aren't as many plant leaves on the surface of his tank. It's harder for him to get out of a tight spot and to 'reverse' or power forward if you will. When he does it he kind of looks like he might be struggling a bit so now he just has one large plant that reaches the top of his tank and about 50-75% of nothing on the surface of his tank and some medium and small plants.

He can and does swim up a storm now! His favorite thing is to sprint in and out of his floating betta log. He also has a betta hammock I bought when I first got him because I was worried he would need a resting spot near the top especially because he was an EE. He never even bothers with it lol. The only time he stops is when he's sleeping and he wedges himself face down by his heater. I suspect this is because I notice when he stops swimming all his finnage (I think he's a half-moon or a rose tail, not sure) causes his rear to naturally start to rise so he's butt up in the water.

I was hesitant to get a 'special needs' fish as EEs are sometimes portrayed but I couldn't resist owning another lavender fish and with lipstick to boot! While the price will probably stop me from owning another unless I am drawn in again I don't regret him for a second.

His brothers (all the EEs there are purple) are STILL in the store and while our PetCo specializes in fish and keeps them clean I feel like they might die soon of boredom or something. I wish they'd make them go on sale or something because then they'd have a greater chance of being bought. They're beauties but $20 for a betta fish is too much for most casual fish owners I feel.
One thing about EE's is they tend to get eye problems either from stress, too much ammonia, etc. and that's really the only special needs thing I have found about them (at least my females seem just fine :) ) also one thing to let you know. Eventually your betta log will wear and jagged edges will begin to 'emerge' or form so make sure to keep an eye on it. Also unfortunately leaf hammocks will rust, some sooner than others. So make sure to watch out for that as well! The betta log especially since EE bettas have more finage to get caught on things.

I have to say that although I prefer petco over petsmart I like to get my girls and or boys from aquabid.com usually I pay 25 dollars, 20 for the betta and 5 for them to be shipped to the US. And then I pay the 5 dollars when I go pick them up from my transporter. So a total of maybe 30 dollars for an amazing looking girl :)
Old 04-24-2013, 10:53 PM   #47 
Rosewynn

Yeah, I take a file to them every 2 weeks or so and have spares on hand once they get to the point of no return. While I think the DIY ones are neat I like to keep all of my tanks 'natural' looking so I'll just waste my money on spare betta logs haha. I have had good luck with my betta hammocks going on a year now but I am keeping an eye on them. It's unfortunate some of them rust so easily. Neither of my bettas even look twice at theirs so I won't be re-purchasing those. Thanks though. :)

I might do AB one day and I love to browse but it's too much stress for me right now. I'd be horrified if I got a DOA and the 'lost in the mail' thread has me paranoid. lol So far my PetCo has had plenty of variety for my taste. It's hard enough to resist there let alone on AB. I can't end up with 20 fish like I used to haha.
Rosewynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:57 PM   #48 
Agent13
Reference Team

I saw two of those the other day at Petco! Also a baby(not a fry!) King Betta and a larger one too(they didn't have any over $15). I actually am impressed with the care at the Petco near me. They have an awesome Betta collection and a staff that know what they're doing. The manager saw me staring forever at the Bettas and came over to ask if I was looking at the EE one. He was really happy to hear I wasn't going to buy it because he confessed he was hoping to buy it later that week lol. Their water is always super clean any time of day and they actually do really do try to keep people away from those tiny betta cubes. And to top that off... they are THE only petstore chain around me that doesn't sell the lethal bearded dragon food and actually orders proper food.
Agent13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:04 PM   #49 
GhostFeather

Same thing as the Dumbos.
GhostFeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:49 AM   #50 
Roemgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosewynn View Post
Yeah, I take a file to them every 2 weeks or so and have spares on hand once they get to the point of no return. While I think the DIY ones are neat I like to keep all of my tanks 'natural' looking so I'll just waste my money on spare betta logs haha. I have had good luck with my betta hammocks going on a year now but I am keeping an eye on them. It's unfortunate some of them rust so easily. Neither of my bettas even look twice at theirs so I won't be re-purchasing those. Thanks though. :)

I might do AB one day and I love to browse but it's too much stress for me right now. I'd be horrified if I got a DOA and the 'lost in the mail' thread has me paranoid. lol So far my PetCo has had plenty of variety for my taste. It's hard enough to resist there let alone on AB. I can't end up with 20 fish like I used to haha.
Yeah I almost got the betta logs but when I found out that they can be harmful I decided not to get one but I do have some nice pieces of drift wood that they can swim through (although not exactly the same lol) And I actually will also use Hamster tubing in my tanks for some floating aspects :D

And with the hammocks, my boys used them but by the time I started my sorority tank I didn't have anymore. You have to lift back the plastic so you can actually see the metal rod. If you see any rusty color or brown instead of silver than its rust starting :(

These are the girls I plan on getting in 2-3 weeks!

And if you find a girl you really want to bid on I just want to let you know that it takes 24 hours for your account to activate so make sure to make one a few days before you choose a girl. Also where do you live? I live in Georgia and I'm about 1.5 hours away from my transporter so I usually pick up any girls on my way home or back. If you look around and find the betta of your dreams let me know and I can tell you if I've used that seller before and if I like them :)