betta fish

Old 01-21-2012, 12:38 PM   #1 
dormfish

Odysseus is looking a bit under the weather. :(

Housing
What size is your tank?: 3 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 68F
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? The filter is run on a bubbler.
Is your tank heated? No
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Tetra Min flakes
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2-3 times a day

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? About once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 20-30 %
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? PH balancer and water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? no.

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Fins have dulled in color
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He's been sluggish all day today, not as interested in food as he normally is.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Today
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Not yet. I have Malefix ready to go, if need be.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No. He's always been healthy as a horse.
How old is your fish (approximately)?I bought him in October. I'm guessing maybe 6 - 8 months old

More info:

I upgraded him to a bigger tank yesterday. He went from a 1 gallon to a 3 gallon. I also added some plant bulbs to the tank, also.

Someone please give me some advice. I don't want anything bad to happen to Odie!
dormfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 12:54 PM   #2 
Shirleythebetta

68 degrees is too cold should be at least 78 ish and maybe check your water chemicals. May be the water change thats doing it but probly the cold more than anything. Being cold will make them sluggish and cause them loss of color. And also, did you acclimate him to the water correctly or do you always keep temps that cold? were they ever that cold before? Small heaters cost about 20 bucks. Get ole Odie a heater immediatly or increase the heat in the room he is in til you can get one.

Last edited by Shirleythebetta; 01-21-2012 at 12:58 PM.
Shirleythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 01:29 PM   #3 
dormfish

I plan of buying him a little heater today. My dorm room got really cold last night - heat wasn't on :\ Bad bad bad. Northern Michigan gets COLD! Odysseus is my first betta, and even though I've had him for little while, I'm always learning something new...like all these temp changes are BAD! I never thought about him when me and my roommate are adjusting the thermostat! O.o'
I'm planning a trip to walmart today. Would you think that this heater would be good for his 3 gallon? http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tetra-Heater-1-ct/10291808 I have one of the same kind for the 10 gallon. It keeps the water at about 70-72 degrees in that tank, or should I look for one that's adjustable. I have a 30 dollar limit. :/
Old 01-21-2012, 01:58 PM   #4 
Shirleythebetta

You really should have him one for a 3 gallon specifically. If you use a 5 gallon heater it COULD get way to hot to fast. Petsmart sells small heaters if you could get to a petsmart. You have to adjust the water slowly after a rapid plunge like that too. If you spike the heat to fast that could be dangerous. So I'm thinking you better try and get a one to three gallon heater if you can. If not, is your ten gallon occupied? If you have the right kind of fish and acclimate him currectly you can stick him in there until you get a proper heater. Actually, thinking about it, 72 is to cold to so maybe it would work if you can monitor how hot the heater is getting the tank? Keep a close eye on it and if it gets above 80 then stop it? Thats a rough one but your asking questions and your going to make mistakes. Keep your chin up. I understand the cold in Michigan. I live in Ohio so I know your colder than I am and I'm cold! Maybe you do need a 5 gallon heater for the three gallon if its always so cold there. Like I said, you can always try it and monitor the heat to see what its going to do. Get a cheap thermometor if you don't have one already.
Old 01-21-2012, 02:00 PM   #5 
Shirleythebetta

You have a lot of thinking to do. Heres links for three gallon heaters at petsmart. I think the top right 2 are for bettas. He really should have a temp at least 78 or so.

http://www.petsmart.com/family/index...26+Accessories
Old 01-21-2012, 02:01 PM   #6 
dormfish

I've seen some small thermostat heaters, they're adjustable. I'm in a small town. We have no petsmarts or petco :(

My 10 gallon is occupied by 2 guppies, 2 platties, an albino pleco, and 3 guppy fry in a breeder net. The male guppy is really bright orange with a long tail. I'm afraid Ody would get territorial. :(
Old 01-21-2012, 02:35 PM   #7 
Shirleythebetta

yea they sometimes do get territorial with bright colored fish. If you can get an adjustable heater that would be good because you can adjust it up slowly so you don't shock him with a major increase. You just have to watch these tank heaters like a hawk because they are not always accurate and betta's are super sensitive to rapid temp changes.
but yea, you have to make do with what you have and just watch it. A five gallon may work since you said your ten gallon submersible keeps your ten at 70 to 72. I have the same heater and tank size and my heater stays at 76 to 78 sometimes 80 if my house is really warm. You may need that little extra power. You can always give it a try and watch his thermometor and see what happens. Increase the heat in your room if you can and he should get more active. Be careful and keep an eye on the heater.
Room temp does make a big difference when you don't have a heater though.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:15 AM   #8 
callistra

25w Marineland Visitherm is a fully adjustable heater that works great in small tanks like this. Just make sure to acclimate very slowly and add only a degree or two per hour to prevent shock. Runs about $20.

Also I would get your water tested for ammonia at least. Drops kit would be preferable.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 01:47 PM   #9 
dormfish

Ok, I'll see if I can get a test kit and a little heater when I go to the store today..
Old 01-23-2012, 05:19 AM   #10 
Shirleythebetta

callistra, does that brand have heaters for even smaller tanks?