Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-21-2012, 03:45 PM   #1 
RyuAndMoyashi

Exclamation A tank upgarde?!? YES! Um Help!

Ok. So I just found out, as a late birthday gift, I'm getting that ever elusive tank upgrade I've been itching for. I don't know the new tanks parameters yet, when I do I may have a WHOLE NEW set of questions for everyone.

Either way I know the first thing I will be getting is for poor Moyashi (Albino Cory Catfish); some schooling mates. My question for now is this: what other Cories will he school with? Am I doomed to have a ghost pack haunting my tank (and frightening Ryu - Half moon Betta), or can I mix in say a Brochis Cory and a Panda Cory?

Depending on the size and shape of the tank I may also add another fish or two... I was thinking of a pair of platies or a platie and a sword tail. Would these probably do well? Also, if they would, would a pair of males or a pair of females work better (males usually add more to the look of the tank, but I'm worried about any type of aggression)?

One last question. (I swear!) What plants would you suggest? Right now I have a fake plant because I've got a little 1.5 gallon. I really would like to do live plants if I can (as I can afford it). Until I can get the plant, I'll be sticking with some silk plants to get decent coverage (along with their current hide-y hole and maybe a new one).

I'm planning on a sand substrate if that is of any help in answering.

Last edited by RyuAndMoyashi; 01-21-2012 at 03:56 PM.
RyuAndMoyashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 04:48 PM   #2 
bettafish15

Adding more cories depends on the tank size you get, which should be a minimum of 10 gallons, as cories are active little guys, and it's bad enough you have one and a betta in a 1.5g :/
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 05:01 PM   #3 
hedgehog

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyuAndMoyashi View Post
Either way I know the first thing I will be getting is for poor Moyashi (Albino Cory Catfish); some schooling mates. My question for now is this: what other Cories will he school with? Am I doomed to have a ghost pack haunting my tank (and frightening Ryu - Half moon Betta), or can I mix in say a Brochis Cory and a Panda Cory?
Cories school with members of the same species. They will only school with other species out of necessity--one of each species. Because of this it's recommended to keep them with members of the same species because it lowers their stress level. The should be kept in groups of at least 4. You should figure out what species your albino is. He can either be a C. aeneus or a C. palateus (I think those are both spelled wrong). If he's a C. aeneus he can be kept with either bronze, albino, or green cories (the green cories should be labeled specifically C. aeneus and not Brochis splendens which they might be confused with). If it's a C. palateus he can be kept with like albinos and peppered cories. Albinos from Petsmart are C. aeneus. Both of these are large species and need to be in at least a ten gallon. I would say 4-5 of them in a ten gallon. When getting more cories I would recommend getting some of similar size to the one you have since in my experience cories spend more time with other cories of the same size.
hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 05:05 PM   #4 
RyuAndMoyashi

The tank will definitely not be any smaller than 10gal. I don't know the shape yet so amounts are waiting until after that... I just want to make plans ahead so I can foresee any issues that may arise.

I got Moyashi and Ryu before I found out much about cories (a bad mistake on my part that I'm trying to remedy - thus the search for a larger tank and my joy on the up coming gift). This is also the reason I'm looking for help in determining what cories would school with him and if the tank is larger/or with future tanks if platies and/or swordtails would do well with the betta/corries.
Old 01-21-2012, 05:07 PM   #5 
RyuAndMoyashi

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedgehog View Post
Cories school with members of the same species. They will only school with other species out of necessity--one of each species. Because of this it's recommended to keep them with members of the same species because it lowers their stress level. The should be kept in groups of at least 4. You should figure out what species your albino is. He can either be a C. aeneus or a C. palateus (I think those are both spelled wrong). If he's a C. aeneus he can be kept with either bronze, albino, or green cories (the green cories should be labeled specifically C. aeneus and not Brochis splendens which they might be confused with). If it's a C. palateus he can be kept with like albinos and peppered cories. Albinos from Petsmart are C. aeneus. Both of these are large species and need to be in at least a ten gallon. I would say 4-5 of them in a ten gallon. When getting more cories I would recommend getting some of similar size to the one you have since in my experience cories spend more time with other cories of the same size.

Thank you. He's a C. aeneus. I was worried about this.
Old 01-21-2012, 05:15 PM   #6 
hedgehog

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyuAndMoyashi View Post
Thank you. He's a C. aeneus. I was worried about this.
Worried about only having albinos? You don't have to have only albinos. In my ten gallon I have one bronze adult, one albino adult, one green juvie, and two juvies that I'm not yet positive if they're bronze or green (bronze dad, green mom). Everyone gets along fine and schools together. When we had a similar sized adult female green cory mine albino was left out a little because her usual buddy was mating with the female green. Since the female green passed though Casper has her best buddy back. She is literally never alone. Petsmart sell greens and albinos. If you look in the green cory tank there are generally some bronzes. You don't need all albinos if you don't want.
hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 05:18 PM   #7 
RyuAndMoyashi

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedgehog View Post
Worried about only having albinos?
No worried about the variety of corys out there and which one's would school with which ones.
Old 01-21-2012, 08:59 PM   #8 
Bombalurina

Your cories are going to love sand substrate, and seeing an albino and a bronze school together is massively cute. :) My bronze won't leave my albino alone - I think he has babies on the brain.

As for plants, some great starter plants include:
- anacharis (also called elodea - plant it in the substrate)
- lacefern (grows very thickly, so keep in trimmed. Also planted).
- java fern (tie it to driftwood or something)
- anubias (ditto, plus has lovely broad leaves that my cories love)
- java moss (leave it loose or tie it down, make a wall or carpet...it's great stuff)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 04:00 AM   #9 
scrap

Water wisteria (hygrophillia difformis) is also great, and you can get 2-4 in the tubes at petsmart that most people caution against...My tube had three and they're growing like wildfire though.

By the way, If it's a 10g the cories are your limit. if it's Higher you could add platies (3 minimum, these are also schooling.) I admittedly know little about the swordtails.

final note: go to lowes and get pool filter sand. It's not much more expensive than play sand and has a LOT less dirt filler than play sand.
scrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 10:51 PM   #10 
RyuAndMoyashi

Thanks for the suggestions. I will deffinately be keeping it all in mind as soon as I get started (hopefully after this coming weekend)!

Tags
cory, new tank, platies, sword tails