Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-15-2012, 07:44 PM   #1 
Pitluvs

Killifish Eggs?

Wondering if anyone has any experience with buying killifish eggs and hatching them? I stumbled upon some while looking through the net and figured it would be a cute idea, but seems to good to be true. Any advice?
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 11:11 AM   #2 
Pitluvs

Anyone?! I'd like some advice before I buy..
Old 01-16-2012, 11:34 AM   #3 
Tikibirds

I was thinking about them too....but I cant find much info either
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 11:36 AM   #4 
Christople

Okay, so some killifish are 'seasonal'. They only live for say 7 months so instead of getting them at the LFS mid life people hatch the eggs themsevles. Also the fish egss as long as they are keppt moist and warm are okay and will hatch, do not think that they will be okay if you don't ever put them in water. Read up on the specific species to see the process.

The reason killis do that is in the wild their little pools/ ponds dry up and the fish die. The egss stay there and if in the right conditions will hatch when the rain shows up. To be sure that not all the eggs hatch at once and die because it was just a simple rain, not floooding rains, the eggs stagger their hatching.
Christople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 12:01 PM   #5 
Pitluvs

In my research I did see why these eggs are able to be shipped, that's the first thing I looked up haha I find it facinating that they bury their eggs before dry season and the eggs only hatch once the environment is favorable. How neat? That's what I liked about them, plus the fact they are so pleasing to the eye... I haven't seen many tropicals I really like.

These are the types I was looking at buying, but would be open to buying anywhere... or whatever types suit our home and a beginner.

Nothobrancius Rachiovi, Guentheri Red, Guentheri Blue and Red eggersi.

Or Nothobranchius Eggersi Red Rufigi River.

Nothobranchius Simpsonichthys Carlettoiw.

Nothobranchius Korthausae yellow Kwachepa.

Nothobranchius Foerschi Soga Tan .
Old 01-16-2012, 04:38 PM   #6 
Gizmothefreaky

omg, those are beautiful! Where did you find the eggs, and how much are they?
Gizmothefreaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 06:55 PM   #7 
Bombalurina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christople View Post
Okay, so some killifish are 'seasonal'. They only live for say 7 months so instead of getting them at the LFS mid life people hatch the eggs themsevles.
Not all are short-lived - those are just the 'annual' killifish. Some can live a good few years, such as the panchax.

The killifish expert at my local club says that killies are generally easy to hatch, and most are easy to spawn. Panchax and gardneri seem to be the easiest species. If you have any specific questions, make me a list and I can ask him at the fish meeting tonight, if you like. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 08:09 PM   #8 
Pitluvs

Bom, I'd just like to know which are easiest to ship, hatch and raise honestly. I'm just looking to start out with them, not expecting a HUGE turn out but I would like to have a pair or two fish survive. Could you ask which are generally the best for a beginner? And do they ship well? We have pretty cold temps here right now.

Gizmo, search fish eggs on Ebay. Some of those pictures I got from http://www.killipark.com/. Usually they are $12-$30 for 30-50 eggs, not all survive though. The website sends fairy shrimp eggs too.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:41 PM   #9 
Gizmothefreaky

I have a seven gallon tank that i could use... i wonder how many would be okay in there. How big do they get?

I know where i have seen these before though! I just realized they are the 'My Best Fish Friends' things that i see on tv all the time. XD Wow... Looked up reviews for those things and only five out of 100+ even got them to hatch from that kit...
Gizmothefreaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 08:48 PM   #10 
Pitluvs

They get to be 2-3.5" and 10-20g is what's recommended. From what I'm reading anyways. I'd have them as a community fish myself in my 29g lol

Yes, that would be them! Well the same thing anyways.