Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-21-2012, 05:33 PM   #1 
ManInBlack2010

sand substrate making my tank VERY cloudy?

so on here i saw quite a few people that recommended play sand as a substrate. since it was so cheap i decided to go for that when looking for a substrate for my new 30g. when filling the tank i thought i was being careful to not disrupt the sand but it still became very cloudy, like i couldn't see the back of the tank for a few days. it settled though and figured that i'd have to be a lot more carful in water changes. well yesterday i decided i wanted to move some decorations around and switch out some from my other tanks. i literally moved one fake plant from the front of the tank to the back and all this sand kicked up and now my tank is cloudy again. is this normal when using play sand? is there anything i can do, i'm halfway through my cycle right now and i'd hate to stop but i can't imagine how the fish will cloud it up especially my corries that will be going in there. will the sand compact eventually and settle or what?
ManInBlack2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 05:48 PM   #2 
ManInBlack2010

Oh and i did rinse the sand before putting it in the tank but maybe i didn't rinse it enough?
ManInBlack2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 06:04 PM   #3 
fishy friend2

It's not normal IME, you have to wash play sand really well for it not to cloud up the water,
fishy friend2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 11:35 PM   #4 
SmokeNLark

I have play sand in my 55 gallon. To wash it, I put about 2 gallons worth in a bucket, filled it with water, stirred until all the sand dissolved, let it sit for 30 seconds then dumped the water. Then I had to do that about 6-8 more times. On the same 2 gallons of sand. Then I moved to the next 2. It takes a lot of work. If it's clouding the tank that bad, it needs cleaned more. I've had no problems getting mine to settle after cleaning it that much. The goal is to have all of the sand settle in 30 seconds to a minute. What is happening is the smaller particles are clouding it and won't sink. It won't change unless you take them out. Every time the slightest disturbance happens, it'll cloud again. I'd rewash it.
SmokeNLark is offline   Reply With Quote