Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-21-2012, 05:23 PM   #1 
phoenix91

Tumors.

Housing
What size is your tank? 3 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 78-79 (day/night temps)
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? No

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2 pellets twice a day, skip sunday and after a water change he gets frozen bloodworms

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? twice a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50% +
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Prime

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: didn't test
Hardness: didn't test
Alkalinity: didn't test

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Lumps near his tail and 1 on his face
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Hasn't
When did you start noticing the symptoms? while ago i noticed 1 whitish lump near his tail now there are more.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? no
Does your fish have any history of being ill? yes, about 3 months after i got him he was very ill, treated with maracyn for 1 week and he recovered
How old is your fish (approximately)? i've had him about 1 year

So a while ago i noticed that Oji had a white lump on his body where his tail meets his body. It didn't affect his behaviour and i couldn't figure out what it was so i didn't treat him with anything.

Recently he's gotten more lumps, one on his face under his mouth and more around near his tail. (luckily i photograph him so much he now stays very still and poses as soon as i point the camera at him) You can see it best in the 3rd photo

Name:  photo (21).jpg
Views: 202
Size:  37.4 KB

Name:  photo (20).jpg
Views: 198
Size:  36.1 KB

Name:  photo (19).jpg
Views: 203
Size:  38.9 KB

He still eats like normal, wiggles his tail at me like normal. His behaviour has not changed. Could these just be benign tumours? Has anyone experienced anything like this before?

He's looking very raggy, but i have quite hard water here and he's looked like that since his tail grew longer. His scales on his body have become less blue but i thought that was just because bettas are continually changing as they age.
phoenix91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 07:23 PM   #2 
Pataflafla

They might be lymphocytisis or tumors. or either one, just keep him comfortable and the water clean.

If they happen to burst, then do a thorough tank cleaning and a bit more water changes until it heals.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 08:41 PM   #3 
phoenix91

I will thanks. How long could he live with these things? He's not acting like he feels ill or is in any pain, so i guess i'll just carry on like i've have been. Or should i try and treat him with something? like a medicine for external problems?

If i notice any looking like they've changed or burst i'll do a bigger water change and a few smaller ones for a few days after.

Last edited by phoenix91; 01-21-2012 at 08:45 PM.
Old 01-21-2012, 08:47 PM   #4 
Pataflafla

It all depends on the placement of the tumors.

My sister had a boy with on on his head right behind his eye that lasted for a few moths before he started to go downhill and we euthanized him.

If he stops eating all-together and drops weight rapidly, along with displaying pain, I highly recommend considering humane euthanasia.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 08:56 PM   #5 
phoenix91

I noticed the first white spot by his tail back in october, the one on his face maybe 2 weeks ago and have basically watched the ones by his tail growing since then. He's lasted pretty well so far.

The one on his face his under his mouth, off to the right hand side, the ones on his body appear to be bigger on one side but there are signs on the other side too.

I'll keep him around with lots of wc's and if he starts to look peaky or in distress i can euthanize him. I had to put down a dwarf puffer near the end of last year and i still have the clove oil from that.