Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-21-2012, 09:08 PM   #1 
Paigeyy

Neon Tetras and Bettas

I have a 10 gal with a male betta and 10 neon tetras, he just ignores them, but they're still kinda scared of him, so they don't come up to the top to eat ... i've taken him out for a bit to see if they'll eat, but only a couple have been brave enough to venture to the top. Any tips? and how much do they eat?
Also, is it normal for one or two to nip at the others even in a group? will they eventually stop or will it be an on going thing? I've never had neon tetras before, so any advice would be welcome :)
Paigeyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 08:03 PM   #2 
animallover

Actually I just asked a similar question.My Betta sits on the corries wafer and wont let them eat.As soon as I went to feed my Betta a treat,the corries swam over and ate. My tank there has been no nipping or chasing. As far as the neons, did you have them before the Betta was added, if so, did they all come up? Yes they can be a little scared.IDK how but when its feeding time, try to keep your Betta busy at one end. In a 29 gallon I have Serpe Tetras,Black Skirt Tetras,Glofish and 2 mollies. Tetras are nippy. With your ten, try to put a couple of small pinches of food.It depends on the type of food as well. Expereminting with the amounts may cause a Ammonia spike,so keep a test by.Oh usually its what they consume in 3 minutes?
animallover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 10:40 PM   #3 
Paigeyy

thanks :) they're eating okay now, they've gotten used to my Betta and he doesnt really bother them or their food that much. BUT now the fighting between them has spred and now three of them nip at everyone and especially between eachother =/ Any advice? =S
Old 01-23-2012, 11:51 PM   #4 
Paigeyy

Oh and if anyone can tell me if i can put rummy nose, glowlight and neon tetras together with my bettas? will they pick on eachother cause they look different?? I want a little variation in the tetras cause they're cute, but i'd like to see differences in them :)
Old 01-24-2012, 09:00 PM   #5 
Bombalurina

Definitely not all together in your ten gallon. As it is, you are a tad overstocked (hypocrite alert :p).
When you have a big enough tank for all the species you want, make sure you have at least 6 of each species. In a pinch, glowlights will shoal with neons, etc, but they won't be nearly so happy as they would be with a school of 6 of their own kind. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 04:08 AM   #6 
Paigeyy

What about rummy noses? it's actually a 20 gal with a divider, i know i'll be really pushing it with adding rummy nose AND glowlight tetras, but i just love them both <3
Old 01-25-2012, 11:20 PM   #7 
Bombalurina

If you take the divider out, you could have 6 glowlights and 6 rummies, but I would strongly suggest just getting 10 glowlights and leaving it at that. The bigger schools, the happier the fish are.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 12:04 AM   #8 
bettafish15

What I had to do with my nippy neons was overfeed them a bit. Just a bit.
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 12:14 AM   #9 
Paigeyy

okay, i think i found a way to get them to eat more too :) thanks.
I cant really take the divider out cause it seperates my male and female betta, the rummy noses will go with her and maybe the glowlights, but iono if imma get them cause i think rummy nose tetras are way cute :)
Old 01-26-2012, 01:32 AM   #10 
bettafish15

Rummynose tetras are extremely sensitive to water parameters, like discus are, so you'll have to do more waterchanges than normal to keep them happy. ;)
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote