Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-21-2012, 09:00 PM   #1 
jibruno

Talking Eggs

so my pair finally "did it" tonight, after a lot of awkward movements and trial/error, eggs snowed from my female and were placed in the nest..

now my question is- my female wont go near the nest anymore, but she has eggs literally pouring out of her pouch every time she moves, are they still done spawning though? she hasnt gone to the nest in a few hours and the male is sittting there positioning the eggs, should i take her out?
jibruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 09:17 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Congrats.....

The eggs that are coming out of her without an embrace will not be fertile and if the male will not let her return to the nest...I would remove her to her own container and even if she still drops eggs...that okay.....she may eat them and this is a high protein meal and can help with her recovery....don't be alarmed if she poops creamy/white looking fecal matter for a few days....this is normal and not to be confused with internal parasites....

Look forward to following your spawn log.....

What cultures do you plan for fry food....

You should start to see tails in about 24-36h-depending on water temp and pH...then free swimming in another 2-3 days and they will be ready for food once they absorb their yolk sac...

When do you plan to remove the male...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 11:28 AM   #3 
jibruno

im planning to remove the male after theyre free swimming or at least when they start to.

i have micro worms and daphnia for starters and BBS for when theyre a lil bigger
Old 01-22-2012, 01:05 PM   #4 
jibruno

is it normal for my male to let his nest kinda fall apart? he isnt blowing any bubbles and theyre popping. so before long there wont be a nest left, he is tending the the eggs that fall from the nest though just not fixing the lost bubbles.. normal?
Old 01-22-2012, 01:39 PM   #5 
betta lover1507

my boy chili pepper did that, i guess it is since chili was pretty busy with tending the fries and eggs
betta lover1507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 01:41 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

It can be normal-its not uncommon for them to move the nest all together either....some males are better fathers than other and if this is his first spawn or the eggs poorly fertilized or bad in general-its just a matter of time before all the eggs are gone...and this is what you want him to do...no point in wasting time/energy with bad eggs....

If you haven't already-if you have water movement/filter-turn it off, dim lights if they are bright, cover the top to help retain heat/humidity over the water, add a tannin source and try not to disturb him very much....this can help the nest and limit stress....some males will eat all the eggs when they feel the nest is threaten-instinct tell them to consume the eggs before something else can for the protein and energy so they can spawn again later when its safe...

You can also artificial hatch the eggs if he seems/looks to be eating and/or not tending to them well...especially if this is an important spawn to help you meet your goals...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 03:23 PM   #7 
betta lover1507

ofl i never knew that 0-0" that is really gonna help me in my future spawn even though it wasn't for me lol

also do you have any pics of the parents am really curious
betta lover1507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 06:51 PM   #8 
jibruno

i was able to see the eggs but now i dont see them in the nest anymore and the nest is even smaller ><

i hope he didnt eat them
Old 01-22-2012, 06:52 PM   #9 
jibruno

this is my pair

first embrace
Attached Images

Old 01-22-2012, 07:01 PM   #10 
jibruno

its been about 26 hours since the first embrace, the water is 81 degrees, so theoretically they should be hatching within the next 10 hours right? (as long as there are still eggs left