Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-22-2012, 01:09 AM   #11 
Sena Hansler

I think he can. :) trust me, bettas are hardy - give them credit!!

Like I said, heat rises. put him higher up, in a warm spot in the house, with a towel around him. Syran wrap on top also helps, to block drafts - leaving of course a spot for air to get through. It also, keeps it more humid for him.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 01:23 AM   #12 
MaxGreenMDE

So that I can make sure I can get it immediatly on friday I have to go with what petsmart has..so either this one

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...=Aquarium+Size

or this one

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...=Aquarium+Size

more than likely the first one.

The good thing is since I work at petsmart it'll be easy to exchange it if the first one does not work.
MaxGreenMDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 01:27 AM   #13 
Sena Hansler

I had a top fin... someone mentioned to me top fin isn't all that great but I am not sure. Mine got water logged because of my stupidity x.x but I never had a problem with it :) and lol nice with working there :3 it will be easier for sure!

I have no idea about Marina.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:14 AM   #14 
mardi

I think it's awesome that you're doing your research!

Your boy will be fine without a heater until then. As has been already said, just keep him in a place where there's not a lot of draft and wrap his tank in a towel at night.

The only two heaters i have experience with are the top fin brand and hagen elite submersible. The Elite submersible I have in a 3 gallon tank, and it keeps it at a perfect 79 degrees! I do want to advise you to test out the heater in a tank of regular water for at least 24 hours, before putting it in with your betta. I normally leave it on overnight, check the temp with a thermometer, in the morning to see how it manages the colder temperatures in the evening.

Also, especially if you're going for the top fin brand- after you're comfortable with the fact that it manages the temperature good, be sure to pour out some of the water that had been sitting with the heater into a separate container and smell it to make sure there's no funky smells. I've known people who have had problems with the Top Fin brand leeching stuff into their water. I returned a 25 watt Top Fin heater after it made my water smell like rubber. However, I do have a 50 watt Top Fin in my 5.5 gallon and haven't had any problems with it so far.

And welcome to the forum!

Last edited by mardi; 01-22-2012 at 10:23 AM.
mardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:18 AM   #15 
Sena Hansler

^+1
Old 01-22-2012, 11:06 AM   #16 
Tikibirds

I just drove from Alaska to NY with bettas. 19 of them died to a mishap with an unnoticed open back window but the other 3 I keep in my lap the whole freakin way. The temp stayed about 60 and they made it. So they can take colder temps for a little bit but its not really good for them
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 11:17 AM   #17 
Sena Hansler

Yikes!

And yep give bettas some credit :p how do you think they are actually able to last in bowls (given the bowls are cleaned....)? they are pretty hardy little guys, but warmer is always better
Old 01-22-2012, 03:12 PM   #18 
Wolfboy51

If it comes to worst pour a little warm water (and i mean a little) conditioned of course. Ive done this once when my heater stopped working, the temp didnt skyrocket or anything (its an 8gal) but it did raise it a little. But cause u have a 2.5gal if u do, put less than 1 cup probably. And remember warm not hot water.
Wolfboy51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:28 PM   #19 
scootshoot

Like other posters have mentioned. Just wrap a towel around his home before bed.
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 12:02 AM   #20 
sholee

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i00_details

I got this heater from amazon, the Hydor Mini 7.5 watt heater, and it works GREAT! I live in an apartment in nyc and right now i'm in the middle of winter, my room doesn't really get heat so i definitely needed a heater for my 2 gallon tank. So far the highest i've seen the heater go is 81 degrees and it usually stays on 80 degrees, I thought i would have to unplug it since it's not a digital heater but it works WONDERFUL, I monitored it the first night i used it since i had to work late anyways and it never dropped below 76 degrees and never raised above 81 degrees and for 9$ it's a great price. It also hides wonderfully under my gravel. Feel free to check it out.
sholee is offline   Reply With Quote