Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-19-2012, 07:35 PM   #1 
BettaMommy531rip

Unhappy The Tale of 2 Not-so-nice people (this is all true)

So today I was sitting in Study Hall, on this site. I had finished my homework and had free time so I immediately tapped in the web address. I was on here commenting and posting, you know, all that forum stuff. When I see the guy next to me leaning over a bit and glancing at my screen. I turned the computer away from him a bit, he was making me uncomfortable. He is also incredibly popular, so whatever he was looking at he had the intent to make it sound really bad and tell everyone else. Not that I'm not extremely popular, I have my own circle of friends, and I am in the "normal" spectrum at school. I turned my computer back to him, I was being silly, why would he care what I was on? He kept glancing, it was really weird. Then when the so acclaimed "popular" girl who had previously been sitting next to him, returned. She noticed his awkward side-glances at my screen. I heard her whisper under her breath, "what site is she on?" My heart plummeted, I knew this couldn't be good, they were going to spread around something totally wrong and untrue about what I was on, I just knew it, or make it sound stupid and "nerdy" that I was on here. He snorted "betta fish .com." As if it's some crime against humanity that I'm on a forum for betta fish! I wanted to tell him I heard everything, and that he was being a big jerk for acting this way. But I'm totally spineless. That's why I'm venting on here. I know I shouldn't have acted ashamed of my involvement on this site, but the way they said things sure made me feel guilty. I was hoping that sitting next to them wouldn't be too terrible. I was assigned that seat at the begginning of the year, and I hated it from the moment I sat down. It's a whole table of popular people, one strange girl who they like to prey upon, a relatively nice girl who tries not to get noticed by them, and me, who personally doesn't like them and tries to stay out of their way. But now all my careful non-involvement with them and their weird popular circle is ruined, all because I'm on a forum conversing with other people who share my interest of betta fish. I see him playing virtual football, and other nonsense games, but I never question him or gossip about it to other people. Did he ever think that it might bother me that someone was hissing about me right next to me? Luckily just in the nick of time my teacher tapped me on the shoulder and informed my about my unexpected early dismissal. I was so grateful that I practically fell on my face on the way out of the classroom to escape them. Jeez, some people are jerks! But now I feel utterly and totally bad for not standing up for myself as well as all of you fellow forum members, and my betta girl Shimmer! I know that bad-mouthing them is no solution but I sure want to. I never even got to talk to my friends about it, because of the early dismissal.
BettaMommy531rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 07:43 PM   #2 
LittleBettaFish

Don't worry too much about what other people think of you. Everyone has skeletons in their closets, and there a lot stranger hobbies than fishkeeping out there.

Those who are the most pious and judgmental, usually end up being the ones with the most to hide.

Case in point, had a religious friend who always said it was wrong my parents were divorced, and that unhappy people should stay married because they should have to make it work.

Several years later it turns out her dad was beating up her mum, and guess whose parents ended up divorced then?

So like I said, if that's the worst thing that they can pick on you about, I think that's pretty weak.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 07:43 PM   #3 
Romad
TFK Moderator

Sounds to me like they're not worth your time. Don't let the idiots get to you, there are too many out there.

If they ask you again, tell them you're reading the "How to deal with morons at school" thread :) :)
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 07:50 PM   #4 
lorax84

Yeah high school sucks. Luckily the real world is nothing like high school.
lorax84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 08:03 PM   #5 
diablo13

........I wouldnt worry about them spreading rumors or stuff. I'm in middle school, I don't go on here during school hours because If someone did find out it would be slightly embarrassing, but If the best gossip your school has is "she keeps fish! OMG! What a weirdo!" then that's sorta sad.
diablo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 08:05 PM   #6 
BettaMommy531rip

I'm in middle school as well Diablo. You're right everyone. I shouldn't let them get to me. I really want to say to them "Dude! I see you gaming away on your computer but I don't gossip about it to other people. So why does it matter to you?!" The issue with really popular people is that they either don't understand that they're being mean and rude or they choose to ignore what they're doing. So when you get even the slightest bit angry, they back up and get really offended. Then word goes round the whole school that you are some psycho who only has friends on the internet, and that "be careful, she could turn on you." But my friends on this forum and in my school are backing me up. Thanks you guys. I think that the next time he does it, I'll make a big show of staring intently at his screen. Then when he asks what I'm doing I'll be like "Oh. Just doing what you did to me yesterday. That's how I felt when all of the sudden you became interested in what was on my screen. I hear it's a little bit strange to glare at other people's business."
Old 01-19-2012, 08:44 PM   #7 
diablo13

Really? Your in middle school? And in Virginia? What side are you? Im near DC, but on the Maryland side. Oh please, "she could turn on you".....you don't need the Internet for that! I did it without it ;) joking aside, you shouldnt let it bother you. As long as they don't spread rumors. Then......I don't know, laugh and walk away? *shrugs*
diablo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 08:52 PM   #8 
BettaMommy531rip

@Diablo: I'm in Richmond! So you're closeish. It makes it easier that there is this other girl at our table who is downright... strange... they always pick on her so as bad as this sounds, I'm hoping this will blow over and they will focus on her again. I feel guilty, but better her than me.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:15 PM   #9 
SeaHorse
TFK Moderator

BettaMommy I'm so glad you came in here to vent. Remember that people can only make themselves feel better by doing the work to improvie themselves or tearing someone else down. Which is what the jerk and his girlfriend both did. Seems they are suited to each other eh? Maybe you should start a Betta Club at the school. Bet you are not the only one at that school who has a Betta!!
Keep smiling BettaMommy!! We're all here for ya!!
SeaHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 09:21 PM   #10 
BettaMommy531rip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakiebabie View Post
BettaMommy I'm so glad you came in here to vent. Remember that people can only make themselves feel better by doing the work to improvie themselves or tearing someone else down. Which is what the jerk and his girlfriend both did. Seems they are suited to each other eh? Maybe you should start a Betta Club at the school. Bet you are not the only one at that school who has a Betta!!
Keep smiling BettaMommy!! We're all here for ya!!
I actually met a really nice guy in my science class who has a female in a 10 gallon. He's nice, but people pick on him, and not because he likes bettas. But because he's good at math, but he's pale and a late bloomer and he's not the best at sports. He's nice, but I don't talk to him that much.

Tags
betta, embarassed, haters