Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-22-2012, 11:36 AM   #1 
toddscire

We have some new fish I think?

Hello, I am in Thailand with my family and they have just cleared some new land for fields. The trees are over 100 years old and the land was never used for farming. They have started to drain the fields and are working the ditch work now. Today my wife and I took a walk after our 30 minute motor cycle ride to the site. We noticed that the workers had not cleared a area and we asked why. They said it is a swamp and needs to be drained but had never been drained. So we went to go look. We noticed a patch of water plants and as a fish lover I had to go look. What I saw was like candy to a kid. Brown and clear water that looked 10 to 12 foot deep. After falling in I can say I think around 8 to 10 foot would be a good guess as I was not able to touch the bottom and my I phone is now calling nemo. So I had a very good look and we noticed no snakeheads and no water flood in or out. Land locked? Snails were softball size and snakes every place we stepped. So no pest aside issue. So like the kid I am, I can back home fast and got the nets and asked my brother to help me out. We had a rough time as there is no place to get good footing and the water undercuts the bank a few feet back. The first pull of the net was a lot of snail plant matter. I was getting ready to clear the net and noticed a lot of small fish dropping out. Dwarf Groumi, and what I think is a Betta that I have never seen. So we started to look closer and after a few net full started to get this betta only at the top few feet of water and under the weeds and not the side of the bank. We were able to get 30 fish and a lot of other fish. Most were common local fish.
We will try to post some pictures today and we will run the whole pond and see what is there. This pond is to be drained in two days so we will get what we can. I need some help with the species of betta. I is not the common green betta we have at our other field 8 km away. It is for sure in the betta smaragdina family but has two stripes from eye to tail and a round spot just under the top fin. Is light green almost purple body with either red fins or red with a black edge or white edge. the stripe goes through the eye and around the mouth. A few km away I get greens all the time and what we got today is not a green standard. We will be going to Chang Buri today to show a old time betta breeder. He saw a few pictures and was very very assertive that we bring some to him now and said hmmmmmmmm. He never says hmmmmmmmm unless it is something new to him. So we will post some pictures and we will also test the pounds for 2 km in a circle to see if they have the same type of betta. But this is virgin land and not ever been farmed fished or touched. By the size of the stupms and trees in the pond I would say this is for sure, We have all the data we can get from water to GPS and pictures are today. We have netted the water gate so nothing will get out till the pond is empty and drained. If this is a betta we will try to get it into the public hands and get all the info we can to save it. But in thailand the land is worth more than a small fish and some shrimp for pa-dek. So here is the info so far we will give out.
Northeast Thailand
Virgin Forest
Natural pond
non flooding pond with flowing ground water at one end.
Lots of weed and tree and plant growth
10 to 12 foot deep undercut and no solid bottom
p.h. 6.0-6.4
temp 68* to 73*
5* h
O2 was lower than my chart at 8%
solids were over my chart at 60%
The temp was low for this time of year and the fish had a lot of fry. So this fish likes colder water. We did see a few nests but not sure if spider or betta? To deep under the weeds to check up close. Today we will hit a old spot we used to get green betta from 20 years back and I will see if I can see a match. But this is a betta for sure guys. If not a betta then it is in the same family.

Betta smaragdina ?
toddscire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 03:10 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

How exciting......you need to contact Gerald Miller in the US or Jesda Attavichit (Thailand) or Nonn Panitvong (Thailand) at the IBC species maintenance program or SMP...here is a link...

http://smp.ibcbettas.org/

Keep us updated on what you find out and would really love to see pics of not just the fish you find-but the area too....

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 01-22-2012 at 03:24 PM.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 04:25 PM   #3 
LittleBettas

^
Ditto, I would be VERY interested to see pictures!!!!
LittleBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 08:41 PM   #4 
toddscire

Ok, we will contact the above and get pictures posted today after we go to the other 8 locations to see the greens in all directions. We just came back from Sap's home and he said he has never seen this fish before but he said it is Betta. Today, when the fish settle down and they are in clean water we will start to try to get pictures. As all of you know if a betta is stressed out it will change to a darker color and not show what it is. So today we will see what we have. But Sap is at the pond all day today and will be collecting for us. His charge is half of the betta we get from the pond. He has a holding bin in his truck and will bag everything one by one. He has already started the meds and DE-parsite and DE-worm on the others. But he has never seen more than one of this betta before and was from a kid and it was to sick to save. All of the fish collected are doing very good. We have raised discus and angle fish and also betta before so not a issue with this fish. But we will post today and contact the above with all data. I have a few msg from a breeder in Chang buri that breeds greens and said he will be up today to see what the fish is also. But we feel it is a new betta from all the local feed back and the where did you get it questions. As of now we have 60 fish.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:58 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

That is so awesome.....We look forward to pics and please keep us updated on what you find out....this is really exciting......also, would love to see pic of the pond/habitat/location...etc.....

Keep us posted....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 01:22 PM   #6 
BettaMommy531rip

Oooooh! New betta! (possibly)
BettaMommy531rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 02:03 PM   #7 
Leeniex

Marking my place so I don't miss pics!!
Leeniex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 09:07 PM   #8 
toddscire

http://photobucket.com/Thaibettas pictures'
http://photobucket.com/Thaibettas

We will try to get more today! No the fish are not for sale but if it is a new fish it will be given to breeders and we will keep the pond fenced in and protected.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:15 PM   #9 
LittleBettaFish

Those shots make me think either Betta imbellis or something out of the coccina complex

http://s1193.photobucket.com/albums/...t=IMG_0248.jpg

They would undoubtedly be very striking fish when coloured up, just going by the colouration on the fins.

I love wild bettas. Wish I lived somewhere they were in the wild like that!
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 09:46 PM   #10 
toddscire

Betta smaragdina?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
Those shots make me think either Betta imbellis or something out of the coccina complex

http://s1193.photobucket.com/albums/...t=IMG_0248.jpg

They would undoubtedly be very striking fish when coloured up, just going by the colouration on the fins.

I love wild bettas. Wish I lived somewhere they were in the wild like that!

Today, they get their first water change and the meds will be working by now. We should start to see some color as the pipazine and doxy and roto start working. they are already eating flakes today and we do not see a issue with any loss. We breed a lot of fish here and can deal with wild stuff fairly safe but we are still keeping them at a location away from our culture stuff till the meds are done. Today we will post some pictures after the water change and we hope all of you can give us a idea what we have in this pond. If it is a new betta we will get it to public breeders ASAP. We will also keep the wild stock in its home and untouched and guarded.