Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-23-2012, 10:09 PM   #11 
Leeniex

Very interesting, and that farm looks beautiful! Thanks for the pictures. :)
Leeniex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 07:08 AM   #12 
toddscire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeniex View Post
Very interesting, and that farm looks beautiful! Thanks for the pictures. :)

Thank you! We have around 100 r of sugar cane, rice, bamboo, rubber, mang, and now we have snakeheads for local sale. Most people buy homes we buy the land around us so all land in a 2km area is same family. So we do things our way and we are very much Buddhist. We do not do much with out the OK from the local monks. But I fancy tropical fish. The harder to keep the more I try. But betta are a local thing here in Isaan. They still fight the fish, my wife's father is very good at getting wild bettas and seems to know all the spots to look. In a hour he can get 20 or 30 fish and spot 5 nests or more. When it comes to wild betta he is the best I have ever seen. But he is a old betta fighter guy and knows all the spots and who to ask. They still fight betta in our village and we get asked a lot buy the local kids for fish. We do what we can for them and we ask for the fish back. We get 99.9% of the fish back in same as they left condition. I edited this to say that if it was not for the fighting of betta in thailand you would not still have a lot of wild betta. By fighting the fish they protect the ponds and place where the fish is found so they can get more fish the next year. This in turn saves the fish. To tell them to not fight the fish would make the pond more vaule as a snakehead food producer or a extra hand full of rice or that extra hand full of veggies. But because thay are still prized they are kept alive and cared for in the wild. They never fight to kill the fish and 99% of the time return the fish to the same place. Then return the next year and do the same some times with the same fish for 2 years. Some times we take friends to see betta fights to change there minds about the sport. Most of the time it is disappointing to them to see how wrong they are about the sport. Some fights last only seconds and the fish never fight. If the fish runs then it is over. No fish has ever died at any fighting I have seen. I say never. To kill a fish is so much bad luck no one will let it happen. Most judges are village elders and there family name is at stake. To let a fish die ends there say at village meetings. But if you need to know more or need the truth just ask, yes they still fight bettas here and they still use the rules from 200 years ago. No KILLING is allowed>.

Last edited by toddscire; 01-24-2012 at 07:20 AM. Reason: had to add a reason why I think fighting is good.
toddscire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 10:09 AM   #13 
Oldfishlady

Awesome pics....thank you so much.....

We don't promote fish fighting on our forum....but I do understand and respect you and your culture.....and that is what I heard as well on the fighting of Bettas in your culture...that rarely if ever one is killed or dies and are very well taken care of with a great deal of respect and responsibility.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 01:07 AM   #14 
toddscire

Thank you for understanding!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Awesome pics....thank you so much.....

We don't promote fish fighting on our forum....but I do understand and respect you and your culture.....and that is what I heard as well on the fighting of Bettas in your culture...that rarely if ever one is killed or dies and are very well taken care of with a great deal of respect and responsibility.

Thank you for understanding that I do not condone the fighting of anything and do not like it. I am glad to see that some people here have great knowledge and understand Thailand thinking. Some of the best betta's I have ever seen came from around here. Every one thinks that spotted betta's are new? We have been culling them for 10 years and not breeding them. Solid body color only for Thailand sales. As far as white or black not very popular either and lon fins are not good sellers. hmpk and pk are mostly sold here. But in Bangkok they sell every color under the sun......
We will post some more pictures today after we get them loged in and give them a # and check a slide under a microscope to see if all is OK. If OK, we will bottle them for holding till they feed and then move them to a holding tank of 350 gallons. We will be making a holding system for local stock. We know of 4 kinds. Blue, red, green, and now orange and black. The new fish have a tail spot.
Old 01-25-2012, 01:22 AM   #15 
toddscire

As you can see the fish in pond 2 are not the same as the local stuff. We collected 20 from around the pond 2 location and 50 from local locations and not one local fish was same. Some fish from pond 2 have black fins and all have a tail spot that is not stress related. Is this fish something you guys have seen before.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:33 AM   #16 
ScarlettAngel

Wow, this is so interesting to read. Please keep the info and pictures coming. It's also fascinating to see and hear how other cultures/countries live. So different to U.K.
Posted via Mobile Device
ScarlettAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 03:49 AM   #17 
HatsuneMiku

that bee looking one is amazing !! .. i didn't know light colored bettas got dark stress lines? or is that not stress lines and is it's actual coloring?
HatsuneMiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 03:54 AM   #18 
toddscire

Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarlettAngel View Post
Wow, this is so interesting to read. Please keep the info and pictures coming. It's also fascinating to see and hear how other cultures/countries live. So different to U.K.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yes, I am from USA and my wife is from a farming community in Isaan. We are located in the northeast of thailand by Lao. Because our family has so much land we have access to a lot of ponds and we just now have started to collect wild betta to add to our breeding line of HMPK. We keep a few for local stuff and sell 99% to a whole sale in Bangkok that sells to all of the world. But we always have access to local betta fish and some other fish.
Old 01-25-2012, 04:06 AM   #19 
toddscire

No the fish are now 3 days in holding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatsuneMiku View Post
that bee looking one is amazing !! .. i didn't know light colored bettas got dark stress lines? or is that not stress lines and is it's actual coloring?

The fish are now 3 days in holding so what color they have is what they will have from now on as all are adults. Today we will # each one from pond 2 and we will post pictures as we get the fish checked under the microscope for issues.
We have a local breeder in Bangkok looking at them and thinks they are not the same as the other local fish.
Old 01-25-2012, 04:53 AM   #20 
LittleBettaFish

It almost looks like the third picture along of a Betta smaragdina

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/profile...aragdina&id=18

Hope you can get these guys identified soon. Half the wild species look very alike, particularly when stressed. I see my livida and tussyae everyday and it still takes me a minute to pick out who is who in the tank.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote