Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-03-2013, 06:45 AM   #91 
KKCOTNER

Following my previous post ...i read on about Teddy the Tank Dog....and it just gets worse......Save yourselves.....I think we need to boycott that company!!! Now that I want to go throwup.....That is just horrendous! Ok...
KKCOTNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:42 AM   #92 
ollief9

The betta barracks seem fine to me anyway, much better than cups.
ollief9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:43 AM   #93 
pittipuppylove

Only issue I can see with the betta barracks in a retail situation is that while it's able to keep the water clean and heated more easily, it's also much easier to spread illness - if you see one fish that's sick in the system, you can probably bet that the others have atleast been exposed to it as well.
pittipuppylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:54 AM   #94 
amzingaly

Not sure if anyone posted this one yet but this one makes me sick. it costs 40$.. for 40$ you could get a pretty decent tank setup smh.
Attached Images

amzingaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:12 AM   #95 
Shiverdam

What the heck? Not only is that awful but it's also just weird.

EDIT
I watched an instructional Video on how to set that thing up and look at this.

Quote:
"Thank you for posting your concerns. Teddy Tank is a very safe and appropriate environment for a Betta fish. Speaking from personal experience, we have had a Betta Fish in a Teddy Tank for the last two years and the fish is swimming around very happily. We would not invent any product that could be dangerous or harmful to any animal. Our company goals are to provide a fun and interactive product for children to be engaged with, while still ensuring that it is safe for the fish as well."
So clearly other people know that this is a ridiculous product and have voices their concerns. But to go so far as saying that it teaches responsibility?! They've turned a live animal into a TOY. Real responsibility would be giving that fish everything it NEEDS.

Quote:
"Teddy Tank teaches kids responsibility, which is vital to their development. We recommend adult supervision when caring for any pet. Teddy Tank is a 1-gallon fish bowl, which is the same size fish tank sold in many pet stores. Please visit popular pet stores and websites and you will see Betta Fish Kits that are one quart, 1/2 gallon and up. We appreciate your concerns and we will continue to make sure kids and adults understand that live animals need to be treated with love and care."
And here they justify their product by saying "oh, there are smaller tanks out there!" Wow. Just wow.

Last edited by Shiverdam; 05-03-2013 at 11:31 AM.
Shiverdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 12:29 PM   #96 
ollief9

Quote:
So clearly other people know that this is a ridiculous product and have voices their concerns. But to go so far as saying that it teaches responsibility?! They've turned a live animal into a TOY. Real responsibility would be giving that fish everything it NEEDS.
This!

Quote:
Only issue I can see with the betta barracks in a retail situation is that while it's able to keep the water clean and heated more easily, it's also much easier to spread illness - if you see one fish that's sick in the system, you can probably bet that the others have atleast been exposed to it as well.
This is also the case in most other general fish retail setups as well.. usually all the tropical fish in a store are hooked to one filtration system so disease can be spread just as easily.
ollief9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 12:32 PM   #97 
SamJustice

That is pretty sad.

I have no problem with the barracks, I've seen several breeders that use them. And it's filtered, heated, cleaned regularly. There's nothing wrong with that, nothing wrong with say a half gallon, but definitely no smaller, so long as the water is changed enough and regularly.

And what kills me, is some of those little teeny death trap tanks look so darned awesome. then you realize how small they are, and it's depressing. I'd love to see some of the cooler ones in larger sizes. Like, my lFS has this absolutely adorable one, but it's like a liter, and that's horridly depressing. Would kill for it to be bigger.
SamJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 02:21 PM   #98 
ryancalif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiverdam View Post
What the heck? Not only is that awful but it's also just weird.

EDIT
I watched an instructional Video on how to set that thing up and look at this.

And here they justify their product by saying "oh, there are smaller tanks out there!" Wow. Just wow.
Yeah but really, if you think about it, every single one of us who owns a pet is, in essence, 'enslaving' that pet. We're kidnapping them from their natural environment and playing god with them. It doesn't matter if the living creature is in a teddy bear stomach or a 5 gallon tank... it's still not that animal's natural environment.

So really, I think this thread is silly since its just a slightly more extreme version of what already exists.
ryancalif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 02:23 PM   #99 
wish4coner

I was looking in the betta aisle at PETSMART and in PETCO and amazed that some would even sell these things, being "pet's come first" slogan stores. Some were so tiny, I wouldn't put a baby fry in there, let alone a fish of any sort!
I admit that, I have glass "vases" for my bettas. Each is 2-3 gallons (3 are 3 gallon, one is 2.5 as, the other one was out). Each has a heater, some plants and plenty of space for swimming. They are wide and tall so, the betta has plenty of room, is warm (I use old butter containers as the lids, to keep heat in), and I syphon every day, do water changes every 2 days and add prime, as well as IAL to each.

I also stepped up when a young girl was buying a betta at Petsmart. The betta, of course is in this tiny cup, and just use the water in the cup, and add "tap water" to the rest. The girl asked what to put the betta in and, the woman said, "oh, you can put him in a glass for now. I was livid. I went over to the girl, introduced myself and offered advice. She ended up leaving there with a 3 gallon bowl, a live plant, prime and I gave her sites where she could get IAL for cheap. When I told her how to care for it, she picked up a siphon as well, and the pellets that were better (omega one, I think) instead of the little thing of generic flakes the woman told her to buy. I explained how much to feed, and the girl ended up leaving more responsible, I think. If she had done as the employee said, the betta would probably been dead that night.
Let's not even go there with the TEDDY BEAR betta bowl!!! UGH!

Okay, vent and soap box over..lol
wish4coner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 02:30 PM   #100 
Shiverdam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryancalif View Post
Yeah but really, if you think about it, every single one of us who owns a pet is, in essence, 'enslaving' that pet. We're kidnapping them from their natural environment and playing god with them. It doesn't matter if the living creature is in a teddy bear stomach or a 5 gallon tank... it's still not that animal's natural environment.

So really, I think this thread is silly since its just a slightly more extreme version of what already exists.
That doesn't matter. We have the animals now and the least we can do is give them a suitable home that closely mimics that of their natural habitat. Betta fish have been bred for years to show the long and flamboyant fins that they have now as opposed to what wild Bettas have.
I don't think "enslaving" is the right word. I don't remember sending my Betta out to fetch my groceries.
Shiverdam is offline   Reply With Quote