Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-08-2013, 09:26 PM   #111 
SamJustice

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowntaillove3 View Post
Said like a boss, SamJustice. Said like a boss.
Why thank you. xD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiverdam View Post
To address this, I know it's not ideal for a Betta. However, my boyfriend kept one of his fish in it because when we started out, we didn't really know better. Upon moving him to a larger enclosure, said fish became lethargic and didn't eat. Moving him back to this tank perked him right up. He's also accompanied by a live plant, anchored into the trough in the center. As long as it's well maintained, a half gallon can be suitable for a fish (if it prefers it). Even fish have preferences.
Yep. They do. Raph hates the 3 gal he's in while the 10 gal cycles. He also hates not being able to see another betta. But since my late betta Rev passed, he hasn't had a tank mate buddy of a betta. And he won't when he's back in the newly undivided ten. He will have some other sort of mate though, haven't decided what.
I do have another betta, but he is an extreme tail biter when he see another betta for longer than like 2 minutes, and he's all kinds of perky in the 3 gal thats identical to Raph. The only part Raph likes of the three gal is the filter outlet, which he jumps in and plays in. xD
SamJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:27 AM   #112 
Wildbetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamJustice View Post
And seeing as betta splendens were bred in captivity, there's no way to recreate a "natural" habitat, they've never been in nature. We can give them habitats mimicking their cousin fish, but never their own.
But recreating nature doesn't matter. All that needs to be done is to give them their needs (Shelter, food, enough water, so on so forth). A betta could do well in a small jar, whereas another would not. But if kept in something small, water must be changed accordingly. Now, don't take this the wrong way, I'd never tell someone to keep their betta in a cup, or anything under like 2 gallons. But that's how I am. It possible and plausible, not necessarily cruel so long as it's done right, but I'd never do, nor would I tell another to do it.
But yes, point of rambling, there is not technically a natural habitat for betta splendens, we kinda just make that bit up all on our own, seeing as they are not, nor ever were, a wild subspecies. xD

There is a wild betta splendens and is the original species that the fancy versions we have today come from. Now in saying that, the betta splendens that we know in the hobby with all the fancy big tails and colors would not survive out in the wild anymore than a teacup yorkie dog could.
Wildbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 04:48 PM   #113 
Shiverdam

I was at a pet store the other day and saw a couple buying a betta. I was keeping a (probably creepy) close eye on them and was ready to jump in in case they chose a tiny bowl. Thankfully they chose a 2.5 gallon kit. It was a nice change to see.
Shiverdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:02 PM   #114 
bettabetter

My dad went on a trip a few days ago and I told him to buy me new food for my betta... so at the pet store the guy tried to sell him this!!!

It's about a 0.5 galleon betta desk organizer... it makes me sick... also this one:
bettabetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 05:19 PM   #115 
LostxinthexMusic

I agree that most of these are absolutely horrid, however, my betta is one that prefers a smaller tank. He's in the 1-gallon hex tank that I bought when I got him, I moved him to a 10-gallon about a month later, and he didn't like it at all. I had a few plants and a little log in there for him to hide in, and he just didn't want any part of it; he just hung out in a corner. I put him back in the 1 gallon, and he's been quite happy ever since. I change the water every 2 days or so, he's filtered (very low flow) and heated, and he's fed according to everyone's recommendations here. Smaller tanks (Anything less than 1 gallon and I'd say that's too small) aren't necessarily bad as long as they are maintained well.

I'm a college student and anything much bigger than what I have is impractical bordering on intrusive. I only have so much flat space in my dorm room, and I really couldn't have anything much bigger. While I had the 10-gal, it was just in the way. I love my betta, and I want him to be as happy and healthy as possible, and the 1-gal is a good setup for him.
LostxinthexMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 05:17 AM   #116 
Bombalurina

Whilst it's great that he loves his one gallon, I suspect the ten gallon was stressing him out due to a lack of cover rather than being large in and of itself. Remember that in the wild, bettas live in densely vegitated areas, and some of them guard just a small part of a huge area, such as in a rice paddy, so large space isn't an issue. It's large, bare space. I know you said that you had a few plants and a log, but I suspect that is was still (for a betta) very bare.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 09:50 AM   #117 
LostxinthexMusic

Well, he seems much more content in his 1-gallon. He's not a very aggressive fish, anyway (he won't flare at anything!), and as long as he's happy, I'd rather keep him in something that's convenient for me to move to/from and keep at school. I maintain his tank according to everyone's suggestions here, and most pepple here say 1 gallon is fine, as long as you keep it up.
Old 05-25-2013, 01:14 PM   #118 
Kalari32

For a school project my teacher told us to get a betta fish so we would make this floral design. I knew immediately this wasn't fit for betas. After she explained the project that we would be doing in class, I asked her if she has water conditioner... She was what's that? So I brought some bottles the next day to at least try to keep everyone's betas alive. The night before we did the project, I got my five gallon tank ready, so my betta wouldn't have to live in such a small environment. The next day at class, people were just throwing in their fish without even getting the temp matched! By the end of the day at least 20 betas died. I was so upset, and couldn't believe my teacher would allow this. She even said the betas wouldn't have to be fed!
Kalari32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 02:55 PM   #119 
Shiverdam

That's horrible, Kalari32. I would have refused to participate and happily taken a 0.
Shiverdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 03:22 PM   #120 
LostxinthexMusic

Those vases are awful. People think just because they pick at the roots out of starvation, they don't need to be fed. You don't think homeless people don't need a good meal because they pick food out of dumpsters!