Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-26-2013, 10:22 PM   #121 
NozzALa

At my local Walmart they have the Bettas set up below a shelf of those really small 'betta tanks' I looked closer at the 1/2 gallon and read 'With bonus divider for two betta display.'

.25 gallons per fish? Scumbags.
NozzALa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 03:00 AM   #122 
wish4coner

I was at petsmart the other day, just picking up various plants and another 10 gallon set up that was on sale--I use it for my grow out tank--for now (until I get the 55 to move my cichlids in--the'll get the 30). Anway, while I was looking at things, I went over to try and find some driftwood, so I could do a moss project over it. I was stunned--not only would they tear the fins off of the bettas but, they had so many dangerous areas that a betta could get caught. Needless to say, they can keep their driftwood.
I then go to the decoration aisle as, I was looking for plant anchors. They had these small logs that the betta can swim through. As I ran my finger through it, my skin broke. It was so rough inside that, it would do serious damage to the fish itself. Every one, no matter what the size, had sharp edges on the inside.
I learned the hard way about decorations and now, I point them out to the staff working. One guy breeds..Black Orchids? Anyway, he felt the inside, took them off the shelf and said he would talk to his manager. I was happy about that but, he said, in a low whisper, "People want these so, they will put them back on the shelf". I told him about the "small betta castle" I had gotten that had a large opening at the bottom. What I didn't notice was the small hole at the top, because it was a dark color. One of my females tried to get through it and it choked her. Hard lesson learned, and I felt horrible but, now, I ensure all decorations are safe. I am sticking with plants and, anything with holes or crevices is now filled with moss, so I don't deal with this again. My decorations are now terra cotta pots, where I fill the drain hole with moss--and put them sideways, with substrate coming out and a plant in it. This way, they can go in, and come out easily and the plant is right there too.
Sorry for the long rant but, really...I always thought petsmart and petco were reputable, because of their rescues. But, they don't seem to care about the bettas. The ones in cups are nasty and I am always pointing out the ones that are sickly, or that are living in their own waste. Sometimes I get them taken out..sometimes, they just look at me funny.
UGH!
(PS--only glass 3 gallon decorative bowls
for me, and 5 gallon tanks. I heat, filter and do a daily siphon on all. I only feed live or frozen foods and I make sure to interact with everyone, every day. IAL and some nice comfy places to for them rest, they are happy. If done right, you can do a nice planted bowl and have a nice home for the betta as well. It's all about caring for your pet).

Rant over :)
wish4coner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:06 AM   #123 
LostxinthexMusic

That's why people rescue bettas from Petsmart and Petco.
LostxinthexMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:33 AM   #124 
Sena Hansler

I use one gallons as quarantine when need be. Actually, the bowl I got is a 1.5 gallon that I used for Titan as a quarantine. Even then I had a heater in there. That is my main concern... Heating. As a breeder, I used jars for each fry... I would have preferred barracks, because it would keep it cleaner via a larger tank... I had an idea of making large barracks for a long tank for breeders... Which would not only keep their water clean and warm, but there would also be circulation from the tank's filter. But, that's just me.

Also please PLEASE remember people... You tell someone how ignorant, naive and stupid they are... Do you really think they will listen to you? I got someone to have a bettafish in the silly "1.7 gallon goldfish starter kit" with a heater... Instead of getting another goldfish for his little girl. I had to explain she probably does not like seeing her fishies die, and that goldfish are so messy they basically kill themselves in anything smaller than a 20 or 30 for a young one... But because I did not tell him how ignorant he was, or what a bad person he was, like so many before me... He listened. He got her a blue and red veiltail, and the fish is doing great!

It is all in how you approach the subject. You COULD boycott every single store that sells a bowl. But in that case you really aught to be looking for a fish store that does not sell bowls, or get second hand tanks, AND you may end up getting fish only from breeders... Sadly there aren't always options. You really want a fish you will still support all those "bad stores".

For rescuing... If you are buying the fish, you are not rescuing. Well, I guess you kinda are... Saving a fish from dying slowly from ammonia. However, you are still supporting the very store you grumble about... I got my rescues for free. Because the local store, knew he would not sell them the way they were.

Last edited by Sena Hansler; 05-27-2013 at 09:35 AM.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:06 AM   #125 
crowntaillove3

I am just lucky and I don't need a heater for my tanks. My room is on the top floor, and my betta tanks stay at about 78. Yet, my other tanks stay at about 75, so they are all where they are supposed to be! I guess I just got lucky, but you could just keep the room that the fish are in at about 78, if you would be willing to do so.
crowntaillove3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:27 AM   #126 
Sena Hansler

I had a heated room just for fish before. It worked nicely... Except 5+ gallons still needed heaters, since all my fish are kept between 78 and 80...
Old 05-27-2013, 10:52 AM   #127 
wish4coner

I certainly don't approach anyone, saying they are stupid. Adverts and commercializing these fish is what has these ideas coming to those that buy the fish. Also, they see this fish kept in a small cup, and then have a clerk tell them that, that is nutrients and they can stay in there or they can put them in a goldfish bowls. When I hear this, I introduce myself and tell them I raise and breed bettas, and start by just offering advice. I have yet to have someone get upset when I do so.
I also have gotten to be on a first name basis with the manager of the fish dept. She and i discuss things and I have noticed that, they are now cleaning the cups the bettas are in, as well as checking on them quite a bit. I went in to get a tank the other day and, they had the most healthy looking bettas around.
I also helped a young couple, as they were picking up a betta, after a clerk told them that the betta could be kept in the cup as, "it had vital nutrients" in it. They picked up a small, pretty bowl (about .5 gallon) to go with it and flakes. I ended up talking to them, explained that I am a betta owner and breeder, and they put the bowl down, got a 5 gallon tank, filter, heater and better food, as well as stress coat (the clerk told them to just add tap water to the cup).

I think the more we educate, the better chance we have of helping others understand more about the breed and these beloved fish.
Old 05-27-2013, 11:05 AM   #128 
crowntaillove3

Education is key! That is really the only reason that MOST bettas are suffering; people who are devoted owners who are willing to get a 5 gallon tank who don't know any better are sticking bettas in 1/2 gallon tanks.
crowntaillove3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:08 AM   #129 
Sena Hansler

What about me? I am using a 2.5 gallon... Don't "need" a 5 gallon... Or a 10 gallon... Just something that can be safely heated. 1.5 for me is minimum, but even those are a pain I want to make my 2.5 gallon into a planted tank.
Old 05-27-2013, 11:11 AM   #130 
wish4coner

I have 4, 3 gallon bowls, planted, heated and filtered so, yes, it's fine...was just saying, they were going for a bowl and, didn't want to clean it so often. I have all of my males in a bow or a split 5 gallon. All have filtration, heaters and I do daily syphoning.