Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-23-2012, 04:29 PM   #51 
mjoy79

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaintingPintos View Post
I've e-mailed various pet stores and even called them, but nothing was EVER done about anything I asked about or complained about. You really can't mwake a difference anymore -.-
Usually if they can't make money on something, they will ignore it, right? These little over-priced death-traps make pet stores more money than the fish themselves. They are gonna keep on selling them. People think they're "cute" and unless they've done research, don't know any better. I assume most people find out the hard way when their new friend dies or starts acting lethargic.
mjoy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 05:06 PM   #52 
scrap

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjoy79 View Post
Usually if they can't make money on something, they will ignore it, right? These little over-priced death-traps make pet stores more money than the fish themselves. They are gonna keep on selling them. People think they're "cute" and unless they've done research, don't know any better. I assume most people find out the hard way when their new friend dies or starts acting lethargic.
I get the feeling they could make money if they tried. A cheap glass 5gal is usually 10-15ish. add a plastic lid for next to nothing. 15 or so for a mini heater. $4 for conditioner and betta pellets. Market this as a better way to keep a betta. Show people how spectacular the healthy ones look, and draw people's attention to them. Toss a little care booklet into the 5gal bundle or next to the betta cups (which wouldn't be too bad if placed on some kind of heating pad).

I honestly think people would buy the bettas more if they knew what they were actually like. Most people think they're dull because they've had a cold, ammonia poisoned one before. All it would take is good marketing and a bit of effort, but unfortunately this will never be anything more than one more rant among many... It seems the best we can do is take care of our bettas and keep people informed as best as we can.
scrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 05:20 PM   #53 
cjayBetta

When I first started keeping betta's I also was keeping them in those little 0.5 galllon tanks... its this website that had me upgrade to 1 5g and now i have 2 bettas one in a 5g and I just bought a 10g tank today to put one of them in who was in a 2g before.

its a very common thing to do when you start with bettas... pet store employees are so misinformed.
cjayBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 05:48 PM   #54 
revolutionrocknroll

Ugh, the comments on those sites and youtube videos are the worst. Usually, I'm not really mad at the owners at first, because I think that maybe they just don't know any better. But then I see comments from people saying that the fish need bigger tanks and heaters, and the owners will be like, "My fish is just fine!" or, "It's just a fish!" or, "Shut up! They live in PUDDLES!" The comments like those are what really makes me mad. Because then I know that the owners don't care. If they were videos of dogs or cats kept in small, cold, messy housing, people would be much more upset.
revolutionrocknroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 09:59 PM   #55 
a123andpoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonii View Post
Yep, don't look at them.

Another popular yet cruel betta container...

The last time I was at Petco they tried to sell me on one of these things.

They were selling them with a "buy the container and get a free baby betta" deal. :(
My grandpa found the first one at a garage sale and got it for me. It was over thanksgiving. I tried to explain to him how bad they are, but my dad wouldn't let me. I was mad about that cause he ended up giving it to my cousins. I don't think they used them though. But I recently found out they have goldfish in the standard bowels. I know very little about goldfish but even I know thats not good. I think I might have a talk with my aunt sometime...
a123andpoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 10:09 PM   #56 
thebroadenthusiast

how about this:

http://www.amazon.com/Aquavista-Aqua...73614&sr=8-105
thebroadenthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 10:33 PM   #57 
FinneyFin

I was really mad when I saw this.
FinneyFin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 11:35 PM   #58 
Backlash

Hi everyone,

I agree with you all about these small betta tanks.. Its like someone held a competition to see who could design the most ridiculous and inhumane way to house a betta..

BUT..We as caring fishkeepers must realise that we only make up 10% maybe 20% of the people that keep fish as pets worldwide.. This in my opinion is where the problem lies..

There are people out there like us that do our best to ensure that our fishy friends have the best possible lives they can.. Then there are others that regard fish as being a cheap pet that they can give to their kids, sometimes expecting that the novelty will wear off before or when the fish dies..

Then there is this scenario... Customer decides they want a betta, and that they want to keep it in one of those "trendy" little 1/2 gallon glass cubes that their friend has.. So customer walks into their Local Fish Shop (LFS) "A" and says I want to buy a betta, and one of the 1/2 gal cubes to house it in.. Responsible LFS "A" says that the betta should be housed in a 2.5 gal aquarium, with a filter and heater.. Customer insists that they dont want a tank, and they want a small cube.. LFS "A" says sorry that they dont sell the small "betta" tanks less than 2.5 gal, as they are inhumane to the fish.. Customer leaves LFS "A" and goes to LFS "B" to buy their batta and cube.. Responsible LFS "A" does the right thing, but loses a sale, and probably a customer for life..

I understand that we all want to change the way "some people" keep and house our little fishy friends, and also to educate those LFS's that are selling these smaller tanks to the public..

Whilst I find it admirable that some of you have written letters to various stores trying to get them to change their ways, I'm afraid that much of what you have said will fall on deaf ears.. Even if one or two shops did stop selling these smaller betta tanks, then there are still going to be many out there that will sell them..

What we need is a solution that will elevate the stature of these little guys to that of larger pets such as cats and dogs..

One way would be to increase the cost of a betta to the point that they are no longer considered "expendable"..

Another would be to pass a law as to the minimum requirements of fish, and how they are cared for, similar to what we have for dogs and cats..

Thoughts..

Last edited by Backlash; 01-23-2012 at 11:39 PM. Reason: sp.
Backlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 12:26 AM   #59 
callistra

What pisses me off is that bettas and other fish are not given the same respect that cats, dogs and other mammals are. If a dog or a cat was treated the equivalency of some bettas, people would be slapped with more animal cruelty charges then they could keep count on.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 02:06 AM   #60 
thekoimaiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backlash View Post
-snip-
Another would be to pass a law as to the minimum requirements of fish, and how they are cared for, similar to what we have for dogs and cats..

Thoughts..
I believe the UK is trying to do something like that. I remember reading about it on PFK. I think this article mentions it.

I would love to see a law like that in the US. PETA opposes fishkeeping in general, so I doubt they would be much help. If I remember correctly the Humane Society of the US doesn't have fish in their logo; they have birds but no fish or reptiles. It's an uphill battle, and science isn't exactly helping. The jury is still out on whether or not fish feel pain. Some scientist say yes, other say no.

I think in order for something to happen, the whole image of fish needs to change. I know PETA tried to improve the image of fish to help end overfishing (another major problem fish face even some of our aquarium fish) but calling them "Sea Kittens." I don't really think it worked.

Personally, I would love to see a law preventing creutly to fish, but think practically: we can't even define the proper size tank for a betta here. Can you imagine the US govt trying to do it?

I don't think a law will every come about dealing with proper care for fish because it is so ill-defined. But I will continue to do my best to educate everyone who comes to me for help with fish about proper care. It's an uphill battle, but I have will and the knowledge and faith that what I'm doing is just.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote